Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 05-08-2020, 12:50 PM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default HendriX

HendriX
5x52 Toro

From the Cigar Federation website: Backstory: A few months ago, I was smoking with a buddy in the cigar industry. His brand is one of the most popular boutique brands in the world...with the rating and awards to prove it!

He gives me this cigar and tells me to try it. As I'm lighting it up he says "This cigar was gonna be the top price point cigar in our portfolio. MSRP was gonna be $15. But we decided to use a little bit different wrapper, so now we have a few bundles of these to smoke ourselves."

After smoking it for a few minutes (and LOVING it!) I told him, "I've got to have these for the FedHeads! This blend is so smooth and so rich. People will go as crazy for this blend as I am!"

After a little arm twisting...he finally agreed!

1) Aesthetics: This is a fantastic looking maduro, almost dripping with oil. Veins are evident, but not a nearly pronounced as you often find in a maduro. It is truly a good-looking cigar.

2) Pre-light Construction: A well-constructed toro, firm and dense, it feels good in the hands.

3) Post-light Construction/How it smoked: A firm grey ash held tenaciously, but the burn needed the occasional touch-up as it burned a bit erratically.

4) Flavor and strength: OK, to be honest I wasn’t paying that much attention to it as I wasn’t intending to review the first one (and I will add more to this later when I smoke more of them), but I will say that I was not sad when I passed it to my son and he did nor return it. I did not realize it until later, but I guess I was kind of hoping he would keep it. So, not sure what that says, but..

5) Aftertaste/Finish: OK, to be honest I wasn’t paying that much attention to it as I wasn’t intending to review the first one (and I will add more to this later when I smoke more of them

6) Aroma: OK, to be honest I wasn’t paying that much attention to it as I wasn’t intending to review the first one (and I will add more to this later when I smoke more of them

7) General Comments: OK, to be honest I wasn’t paying that much attention to it as I wasn’t intending to review the first one (and I will add more to this later when I smoke more of them

8) Recommendation: Ditto
Old 05-08-2020, 01:19 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: HendriX

I thank you for the review, Todd, though I must admit I wasn't paying attention to it. I'll pay attention to your follow up though.

I also was disappointed that there was no mention of Jimi.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 01:29 PM   #3
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Dave
Trading: (21)
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Rev for the review. I can’t explain the flavors and why I like them as stated previously for some reason, they do appeal to my palate.

That being stated, I like the Mexican Hot Chocolate more hah.

Glad you tried some though but seems they are not in your bailiwick.
Old 05-09-2020, 04:24 PM   #4
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I thank you for the review, Todd, though I must admit I wasn't paying attention to it. I'll pay attention to your follow up though.

Yeah, I had a mention of Jimi in there, but figured it might offend someone, so I deleted it.
Old 05-09-2020, 05:47 PM   #5
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post

Nice review?
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:53 PM   #6
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
Yeah, I had a mention of Jimi in there, but figured it might offend someone, so I deleted it.
Ironic, as I am offended that you deleted it.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 12:40 AM   #7
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

RA

Smoked a HendriX to Put up the picture here.

[url=https://postimages.org/]

Last edited by Weelok; 05-10-2020 at 12:43 AM. Reason: I’m dumb
Weelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 08:33 PM   #8
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

OK, I have had a second one of these, so I thought I'd update the initial review.

HendriX
5x52 Toro

1) Aesthetics: As you can see from Wheelok's picture, this is a fantastic looking maduro, what you cannot see is that it is almost dripping with oil. Veins are evident, but not a nearly pronounced as you often find in a maduro – smooth as Jimi on the guitar! It is truly an incredibly good-looking cigar.

2) Pre-light Construction: A well-constructed toro, firm and dense, it feels good in the hands. It has some heft, definitely solid.

3) Post-light Construction/How it smoked: A firm grey ash held tenaciously, but the burn needed the occasional touch-up as it burned a bit erratically. 2nd one did not have the burn issues, but the ash was the same.

4) Flavor and strength: Maybe I did not pay attention to the first, but to the second I did. As to the first one, I said, “I will say that I was not sad when I passed it to my son and he did nor return it. I did not realize it until later, but I guess I was kind of hoping he would keep it. So, not sure what that says, but…” Well, the 2nd one remained either between my teeth or fingers. I enjoyed that maduro sweetness, mingled with hints of a dark coffee touched with cream, nutmeg, and hints of leather also tweaked the flavor profile at moments.

5) Aftertaste/Finish: Rich sweet tobacco hints lingered lightly for a few moments before disappearing.

6) Aroma: Snorking wasn’t a pleasant experience. There were however some nice notes of creamy, sweet, coffee that made for an enjoyable “room note.”

7) General Comments: I have a few more of these, and I do love the way they look. They even are enjoyable.

8) Recommendation: If you have opportunity to give these a try, do so. You had better like them a bit on the bolder side of medium. Is it a $15 cigar as the “hype” says it was to sell for? No! But at $6 a stick, you are getting your money’s worth.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:41 PM   #9
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weelok View Post
Smoked a HendriX to Put up the picture here.

[url=https://postimages.org/]
For some reason, your picture does not do justice to the oiliness or how good-looking this deep, dark, toro is!
Old 05-18-2020, 08:42 PM   #10
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

RA

Wonderful review and your palate is exceptional. You capture flavors I struggled to name.

Nutmeg!!!!! I get it more to the last half but it really picks up strength and is such a nice flavor. I’ve only gotten it on two other cigars, both by CigarFed. I presume it was the blender that was common between all three cigars.

The cigars are .45 ACP, Love Potion, and finally Hendrix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
OK, I have had a second one of these, so I thought I'd update the initial review.

HendriX
5x52 Toro

1) Aesthetics: As you can see from Wheelok's picture, this is a fantastic looking maduro, what you cannot see is that it is almost dripping with oil. Veins are evident, but not a nearly pronounced as you often find in a maduro – smooth as Jimi on the guitar! It is truly an incredibly good-looking cigar.

2) Pre-light Construction: A well-constructed toro, firm and dense, it feels good in the hands. It has some heft, definitely solid.

3) Post-light Construction/How it smoked: A firm grey ash held tenaciously, but the burn needed the occasional touch-up as it burned a bit erratically. 2nd one did not have the burn issues, but the ash was the same.

4) Flavor and strength: Maybe I did not pay attention to the first, but to the second I did. As to the first one, I said, “I will say that I was not sad when I passed it to my son and he did nor return it. I did not realize it until later, but I guess I was kind of hoping he would keep it. So, not sure what that says, but…” Well, the 2nd one remained either between my teeth or fingers. I enjoyed that maduro sweetness, mingled with hints of a dark coffee touched with cream, nutmeg, and hints of leather also tweaked the flavor profile at moments.

5) Aftertaste/Finish: Rich sweet tobacco hints lingered lightly for a few moments before disappearing.

6) Aroma: Snorking wasn’t a pleasant experience. There were however some nice notes of creamy, sweet, coffee that made for an enjoyable “room note.”

7) General Comments: I have a few more of these, and I do love the way they look. They even are enjoyable.

8) Recommendation: If you have opportunity to give these a try, do so. You had better like them a bit on the bolder side of medium. Is it a $15 cigar as the “hype” says it was to sell for? No! But at $6 a stick, you are getting your money’s worth.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:44 PM   #11
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weelok View Post
Wonderful review and your palate is exceptional. You capture flavors I struggled to name.

Nutmeg!!!!! I get it more to the last half but it really picks up strength and is such a nice flavor. I’ve only gotten it on two other cigars, both by CigarFed. I presume it was the blender that was common between all three cigars.

The cigars are .45 ACP, Love Potion, and finally Hendrix.
Sometimes I get them, sometimes it is just "a nice cigar with rich tobacco flavors that I really like." How is that for a wonderful palate?
Old 05-19-2020, 05:14 AM   #12
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Great Review, Todd! Personally, I Liked The Hendix Better Than The Mexican Hot Chocolate. Maybe The Chocolate Needs More Rest?
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote