Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 12-24-2019, 10:27 AM   #1
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

First Name: Michael
Trading: (5)
RA
gomeitsmybday will become famous soon enoughgomeitsmybday will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up 2018 Leche de Mama Original

CigarFed Leche de Mama Original - have had some of these since 2018, spectacular cigar imo. These were very nice when I first got them but with a year and a half of rest/age has undoubtedly allowed them to shine much much more.

Starts out similar to a DPG Black (which is probably one of the reasons I love this smoke so much) nice white pepper and a just a wonderful faint sweet milk note that is hard to place...but yeah definitely similar to DPG Black. Body bounces between medium-full to full.

2/3 the pepper recedes greatly and mostly greeted with creamy vanilla & marshmallow notes. The cigar never strays too far from this profile, which I would think would lead some to label it as a one trick pony...but if that pony's trick is to taste like a decadent vanilla milkshake being sipped by an athletic curvy college cheerleader that wears lotion that also smells like vanilla? Well, let's just say...I dig a pony. (Forgive the Beatles reference.)

In the final lap, the last 3rd it actually changes up quite a bit. There is a very nice sweet grassy note that comes in to play. Still *very* creamy but the vanilla notes definitely give way to the sweet grass, and there is also a nice caramel that makes its first appearance towards the end of the cigar. The white pepper grows a bit heavier at this point as well but is well matched by a delectable carousel of cream, grass and caramel. Smoking this one to the nub for sure.

There are lots of great cigars out there to choose from, and I find that more often than not, I am impressed by most blends I come across. However, every so often you find a blend that just really speaks to you and for me, Leche de Mama is one of those special cigars. If you've made it this far, I'd like to say thanks for reading my review and I hope that you get to smoke one of those special kinds of cigars yourself over the holidays.
gomeitsmybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 11:05 AM   #2
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 2018 Leche de Mama Original

Good review. Bonus points for cheerleader...
Old 12-24-2019, 01:33 PM   #3
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

RA
gomeitsmybday will become famous soon enoughgomeitsmybday will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
Good review. Bonus points for cheerleader...
Haha yeah I took a few liberties with the analogy but I think it helped to drive home the point. thanks for the feedback James!
Old 12-24-2019, 05:24 PM   #4
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Very good review. Where do you usually pick them up from?
Old 12-24-2019, 07:36 PM   #5
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Very good review. Where do you usually pick them up from?
From Cigar Federation. Google it

Thanks for the review!
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 10:03 PM   #6
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

RA

Yeah they are from Cigar Federation, and unfortunately, currently sold out and have been for some time. However, I have heard some rumblings about them possibly getting restocked in the near future so if you are interested I would suggest keeping an eye out!

Thanks for the feedback guys!
Old 12-25-2019, 10:50 AM   #7
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Great review, Michael, thanks for the read!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 09:58 AM   #8
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Great review, Michael, thanks for the read!
Thanks Tom!!
Old 12-30-2019, 10:58 AM   #9
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

RA

*UPDATE* I just received an alert that CigarFed just restocked the original Leche de Mama! They only made another 350 & I've already bought 30 so if you are interested, I'd act fast because it's been well over a year since I last saw them on their site!
Old 01-09-2020, 05:22 PM   #10
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Got my delivery of the Mama de Leche today, finally. Damn usps. Smoking one right now. Muy bueno
Old 01-10-2020, 07:08 AM   #11
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

RA

Quote:
Got my delivery of the Mama de Leche today, finally. Damn usps. Smoking one right now. Muy bueno
Nice!! Really happy to hear you enjoyed it!! I actually ordered yet another 5er on top of the previous 30 I grabbed haha.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:02 AM   #12
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomeitsmybday View Post
Nice!! Really happy to hear you enjoyed it!! I actually ordered yet another 5er on top of the previous 30 I grabbed haha.
Yea, it has a unique flavor profile, that got better as you smoked it. Had a pretty good kick at the end.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:57 PM   #13
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Dave
Trading: (21)
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Got my 10 pack as well. Reminds me of a fuller version of the BLTC Santa Muerte. That kick surprised me hah.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:26 PM   #14
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weelok View Post
Got my 10 pack as well. Reminds me of a fuller version of the BLTC Santa Muerte. That kick surprised me hah.
Yea, that last third put me on my butt.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:09 AM   #15
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

RA
Talking Re: 2018 Leche de Mama Original

Quote:
Yea, that last third put me on my butt.
Haha yeah now that you guys mention it, I do recall the end of the cigar being quite strong back in 2018 when I smoked them new. I highly recommend letting them rest/age for at least a year or so and revisiting because there was definitely a unique grassy note that develops in the last 1/3 of the cigar that I don't remember being as prominent when they were younger. I mean I think it was still there, if memory serves correct, but just didn't stand out as much back then.

I'm really happy to know you guys like them too. I don't often go out of my way to urge others to buy a cigar, but when I come across a blend that I find to be particularly exquisite, I like to suggest them to friends & peers. Especially when that blend can be difficult to come across!
Old 04-04-2020, 05:57 PM   #16
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Having never had one of these, I got pummeled, and got one of these from both Michael & Bob...

So, having smoked one, here is an initial review - I do my reviews in the SMOKE magazine format.

Leche de Mama
This was one of the cigars in Chainsaw13’s fulfillment of my NC-MAW. Having only one of these, I do not believe it is fair to give a “score”, so I will just pass along my notes.

1) Aesthetics: The band on this bad boy (girl?) is interesting to say the least. But, the cigar itself was also eye candy. It has a slightly veiny wrapper, dry and very smooth to the touch. Love a closed foot cigar.

2) Pre-light Construction: A solid cigar with no soft spots.

3) Post-light Construction/How it smoked: Even burn, solid smoke production, and did not need a purge, but did one anyway, and the ash hung in there tenaciously.

4) Flavor and strength – I know some like the 3rds style of description, but let’s face it, I wasn’t paying close enough attention to do it that way. Supposedly this is a “full-bodied” cigar, maybe, I didn’t see it that way. It was a bit unusual for me though, it began with flavors I did not readily identify, but later came to consider calling in buttery. Hints of cinnamon and vanilla seemed to be present throughout, white pepper would weave in every once in a while, and some cedar notes seem to ephemerally hang in the background. I liked the fact that the flavor profile continued to schwaffle around, no stagnation here!

5) Aftertaste/Finish: I enjoyed the finish, as it also seemed the change every few puffs. It was never heavy, but it seemed to fade from creamy, to earthy, to caramelly.

6) Aroma: I enjoyed the aroma of this cigar. Seemed almost like baking cookies at times, with hints of pepper. I know, strange. But I calls ‘em as I sees ‘em.

7) General Comments: Thankfully, I have another one of these to try. After I wrote the above notes up, I thought I’d look to see if there were any reviews out there. Nope! OK, no place that I found except at Cigar Federation. I have never purchased cigars from them, I might have to look into some of their blends and consider that. Also found out the history of the name and the blend. I guess I could get vanilla ice cream out of it, not what I would expect to taste, but that might have been a good way to describe the first things I was tasting.

Whatever else, this was a great smoke, I enjoyed it immensely. Thanks Bob, for a great smoke.

8) Recommendation: From the first one of these, sure, I’d have another!
Old 04-04-2020, 10:26 PM   #17
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Dave
Trading: (21)
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about

Wow, another great review!!!!
Old 04-05-2020, 10:56 AM   #18
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Thanks Todd!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:35 AM   #19
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

RA

Great review!! Yeah the Leche de Mama has been among my favorite NC cigars of the last few years, I wish CigarFed could find a way to keep them in stock!