Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 01-20-2019, 11:56 AM   #1
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Lancero love

I've always liked lanceros, and it recently dawned on me that I rarely buy/smoke them. So I've been buying and smoking quite a few lanceros. So I'm gonna smoke a few lanceros today, and post short reviews in this thread.

First up is Crafted by Casa Fernandez (7.5" x 40). I had never heard of this line, but added a bundle of 10 to an order from Serious Cigars a while back. No exaggeration, these are probably the best cigar I've smoked so far this year, including CCs. Bold but smooth, good draw/burn, lots of subtle flavor changes, no harshness or ammonia flavor even at the nub. Halfway through my second one, I ordered 4 more bundles.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:30 PM   #2
markem
Bunion

Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation
Default Re: Lancero love

Lover lanceros. I'm looking forward to reading your reviews throughout the day.
markem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 12:36 PM   #3
borndead1

Partagas

La Palina Classic (7" x 38)

Nice looking cigar, medium brown wrapper, good construction and draw.

Fairly typical medium bodied Habano wrap flavors. Not a bad smoke but nothing mind-blowing. I won't buy any more.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:25 PM   #4
croatan
Missing Peter

First Name: James
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
croatan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
Lover lanceros. I'm looking forward to reading your reviews throughout the day.
Same here. Also the only reason I need to go fire one up.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:11 AM   #5
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation

Wrong forum but right cigar size $ .20.... Do you think they burn longer than they should? John and I drove up to the shack to water the plants before picking up Tom at the airport. Smoked a couple 2001 Cohiba Lanceros which felt like tent pegs but smoked like a dream. Didn't smoke particularly slow or fast. Hour to the shack, hour and twenty to the airport. Finished the cigars as we pulled into the airport. 20 Lanceros? WTF
Old 01-21-2019, 11:19 AM   #6
borndead1

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Klugs View Post
Wrong forum but right cigar size $ .20.... Do you think they burn longer than they should? John and I drove up to the shack to water the plants before picking up Tom at the airport. Smoked a couple 2001 Cohiba Lanceros which felt like tent pegs but smoked like a dream. Didn't smoke particularly slow or fast. Hour to the shack, hour and twenty to the airport. Finished the cigars as we pulled into the airport. 20 Lanceros? WTF
I've never smoked a 2 hr lancero, but a 2 hr Cohiba lancero sounds amazing.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:34 AM   #7
borndead1

Partagas

Alec Bradley Coyol Petite Lancero (6.5" x 41)

The size is more of a lonsdale, but oh well.

Nice looking, well-rolled cigar. Perfect draw. Woodsy in the nose with bit of "baking spice" on the finish. Mild side of medium "strength". A better cigar than the La Palina, but as was the case with the La Palina, nothing that makes me want to buy multiple boxes.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:49 PM   #8
borndead1

Partagas

Rocky Patel Sungrown maduro lancero (7.5" x 38)

I stopped buying RP stuff a few years ago after too many bad experiences (poor construction, inconsistent blends). But I took a gamble that the smaller production lines might have fewer quality issues and grabbed a couple of singles.

Nice looking wrapper with a distinct floral scent. Heavy in the hand, draw is a little tight but not too bad.

The floral flavor stays present throughout most of the cigar, with a nice tangy flavor on the finish at first, then a cocoa flavor after the halfway point. Slow burn with only a couple of minor corrections. A nice smoke. Impressive, even. I may have to rethink my Rocky boycott and snag a box of these.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:45 AM   #9
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Cool thread, Mark. I'd say probably half the NCs I smoke are lanceros, just taste the best to me for many Nics and DRs.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:20 AM   #10
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Lancero's need to be smoked on the slower side or they get way too hot and acrid tasting. Not an easy to feat for me to smoke anything slow !
Old 01-22-2019, 08:27 PM   #11
borndead1

Partagas

My Father #4 lancero (7.5" x 38)

Nice looking wrapper with a faint floral aroma similar to the RP Sun Grown. Heavy in the hand, good construction and perfect draw.

Honestly, this one was a bit disappointing. I like most DPG cigars, but this one has an "off" flavor on the finish that I just don't care for. I thought it might be a fluke, so I unwrapped one from the cello and let it sit for a few weeks. Same thing. A weird, unpleasant flavor on the finish.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:34 PM   #12
Fig_Nasty
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Nelson
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
Fig_Nasty is on a distinguished road

Had my first Lancero about two weeks ago. It was a Southern Draw Rose of Sharon Thorn I received from the Privada Cigar Club. I took my time smoking it and found it very flavorful with an awesome draw. Really enjoyed it and waiting to smoke a few more I have sitting in my box, An Olive Serie V and a Tatuaje Lancero. Just subscribed and looking forward to more reviews. Thanks Mark
Old 01-24-2019, 01:58 AM   #13
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by borndead1 View Post
Rocky Patel Sungrown maduro lancero (7.5" x 38)

I stopped buying RP stuff a few years ago after too many bad experiences (poor construction, inconsistent blends). But I took a gamble that the smaller production lines might have fewer quality issues and grabbed a couple of singles.

Nice looking wrapper with a distinct floral scent. Heavy in the hand, draw is a little tight but not too bad.

The floral flavor stays present throughout most of the cigar, with a nice tangy flavor on the finish at first, then a cocoa flavor after the halfway point. Slow burn with only a couple of minor corrections. A nice smoke. Impressive, even. I may have to rethink my Rocky boycott and snag a box of these.
I may have to look for some of these; they sound like they're right up my alley.
Old 01-26-2019, 01:11 PM   #14
borndead1

Partagas

Torano Virtuoso lancero (7.5" x 38)

I used to smoke Toranos fairly often back in the day. Then, over the years they sort of became a CI/Cbid bargain brand and I lost interest.

I haven't missed anything. Poorly constructed, lumpy, rolled so tight that the PerfecDraw won't even help. I pulled another one out of the 5-pack and it was the draw was a little better, but even worse construction. Tried to smoke it and gave up. Checked the remaining 3 and tossed them.

Junk.
Old 01-26-2019, 01:27 PM   #15
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Torano Virtuoso lancero (7.5" x 38)

I used to smoke Toranos fairly often back in the day. Then, over the years they sort of became a CI/Cbid bargain brand and I lost interest.

I haven't missed anything. Poorly constructed, lumpy, rolled so tight that the PerfecDraw won't even help. I pulled another one out of the 5-pack and it was the draw was a little better, but even worse construction. Tried to smoke it and gave up. Checked the remaining 3 and tossed them.

Junk.
Mark...I'm right there with you on Carlos Torano sticks. About seven to eight years ago I smoked a ton of Torano stuff, and LOVED it. Everything lately has been complete garbage.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:22 PM   #16
borndead1

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Mark...I'm right there with you on Carlos Torano sticks. About seven to eight years ago I smoked a ton of Torano stuff, and LOVED it. Everything lately has been complete garbage.
The Torano Tribute were some of the best cigars I've ever smoked. I even used to smoke the original Dominico bundles, the ones with the skinny plain black band. I tried the new CI version and they were awful. Casa Torano were one of my favorite mild CT wrap cigars until I "scored" a few 5-packs for under $10 on CBid. That was the end for me. The blend was still decent but the construction was terrible.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:39 PM   #17
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The Torano Tribute were some of the best cigars I've ever smoked. I even used to smoke the original Dominico bundles, the ones with the skinny plain black band. I tried the new CI version and they were awful. Casa Torano were one of my favorite mild CT wrap cigars until I "scored" a few 5-packs for under $10 on CBid. That was the end for me. The blend was still decent but the construction was terrible.
My favorites were the Torano Reserva Maduros that came in the glass tubes. They've since stopped making these and are almost impossible to find.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:09 PM   #18
borndead1

Partagas

Smoking another Crafted By Casa Fernandez lancero now. These cigars are really great. I've already blown through my cigar budget for the month, but Serious has these for $44 for a bundle of 10 through Jan 31. There are 4 sizes, but I have only tried the lanceros. Try 'em.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:23 PM   #19
borndead1

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
My favorites were the Torano Reserva Maduros that came in the glass tubes. They've since stopped making these and are almost impossible to find.
I never tried those! But I was a huge fan of the Casa Torano tubos. They were a lonsdale-ish size and were amazing. Those and the Tribute were my favorites.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:59 PM   #20
oldforge
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
HUpmann
oldforge has a spectacular aura aboutoldforge has a spectacular aura aboutoldforge has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for your reviews.

I just placed an order with the Serious folks.

Cigarpage had some Nicaraguan Overrun lanceros (maduro and habano) that were excellent--unfortunately they sold out quickly. Perhaps a prayer to the cigar gods will bring us some more...

Quote:
Smoking another Crafted By Casa Fernandez lancero now. These cigars are really great. I've already blown through my cigar budget for the month, but Serious has these for $44 for a bundle of 10 through Jan 31. There are 4 sizes, but I have only tried the lanceros. Try 'em.
oldforge is offline   Reply With Quote