Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 07-10-2020, 08:34 AM   #61
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Lancero love

Quote:
Originally Posted by borndead1 View Post
Muestra de Saka #NLMTHA lancero (7 x 38)

Got this one in a lancero/lonsdale trade on C-Bid.

Not much flavor at first, a woodsy finish. About 1" in, a nasty chemical aftertaste comes in. This is a bit comical to me, since the only other Muestra de Saka cigar I've tried had the same issue. I pitched this one pretty quick.

EDIT: I just looked up this cigar. $120+ for a box of 7? HAHAHAHA muthaf*kka please...
Those Saka cigars ain't cheap, Mark. I liked the Umbagog and a couple others that were gifted to me on another forum. Haven't had the Muestra, and sounds like I am glad?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 01:36 PM   #62
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:

Not much flavor at first, a woodsy finish. About 1" in, a nasty chemical aftertaste comes in. This is a bit comical to me, since the only other Muestra de Saka cigar I've tried had the same issue. I pitched this one pretty quick.

EDIT: I just looked up this cigar. $120+ for a box of 7? HAHAHAHA muthaf*kka please...

You have bad luck brudda. That sux. I've had at least a dozen and they've been fantastic.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:15 PM   #63
Snook
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Leo
Trading: (3)
Bolivar
Snook is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I'm not surprised at this. Steve Saka has said it himself that he's not a fan of lanceros. But then he makes a lancero to please all those people asking him to do so (supposedly). The name of the cigar says it all. I like most of Saka's stuff, but I'll stay away from this one.
Snook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 06:17 AM   #64
oldforge
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
HUpmann
oldforge has a spectacular aura aboutoldforge has a spectacular aura aboutoldforge has a spectacular aura about

Cigarpage finally has the Nicaraguan Overrun Maduro Lanceros back in stock--total steal at two bucks a stick:
https://www.cigarpage.com/maduro-nic...-overruns.html
oldforge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 04:42 AM   #65
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
I've always liked lanceros, and it recently dawned on me that I rarely buy/smoke them. So I've been buying and smoking quite a few lanceros. So I'm gonna smoke a few lanceros today, and post short reviews in this thread.

First up is Crafted by Casa Fernandez (7.5" x 40). I had never heard of this line, but added a bundle of 10 to an order from Serious Cigars a while back. No exaggeration, these are probably the best cigar I've smoked so far this year, including CCs. Bold but smooth, good draw/burn, lots of subtle flavor changes, no harshness or ammonia flavor even at the nub. Halfway through my second one, I ordered 4 more bundles.
Just Ordered A Bundle. Hope They're As Good As You Say, Mark!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 04:53 AM   #66
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldforge View Post
These are 6.5 x 40 and called panatelas found here:

https://www.cigar.com/p/caldwell-90-...igars/2023042/

The panatelas are seconds of the La Barba Reds.

These are very good--virtually identical with the La Barba Red firsts imho.

Just try some--you can thank me later.
Site Says No Longer Available.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 12:26 PM   #67
Willem2
One of the Dutch

First Name: Wiilem
Trading: (0)
Partagas
Willem2 is on a distinguished road

Love them, always looping for them hen i’m at a store. But they are hard to find
Willem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:29 PM   #68
4WheelVFR
Wild'n since '87

First Name: Ray
Trading: (36)
Montecristo
4WheelVFR has a spectacular aura about4WheelVFR has a spectacular aura about

Tonight I tried a Balmoral Anejo FT Lancero and was underwhelmed. It looked promising at first. Great appearance and construction, perfect draw, good smoke production, even burn......flavor fell flat though. It was on the verge of being very good at times, but just couldn't get there. I wouldn't purchase it again based off of that one smoke, but it was pleasant enough to take me through an episode and a half of Top Gear. I'll try the Oscuro version next and see if it's any better.
4WheelVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:56 PM   #69
4WheelVFR
Wild'n since '87

Montecristo

Now this was the cigar that last night's Lancero FT was trying to be. Very nice cigar. Again, it's hard to form an opinion from just one cigar, but based on this one, it's box worthy. Certainly stronger and much more flavorful, nice smoke production, nice construction and appearance. Balmoral Oscuro FT lancero is definitely worth a try.

Update....apparently they only released 500 boxes in the US. Bummer.

Last edited by 4WheelVFR; 10-09-2020 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:33 PM   #70
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for keeping this thread going, guys.

Murcielago lancero (7.5 x 38)

The Murcielago line has come and gone several times over the years. I believe the first generation were made by Pepin. This latest version are made by AJ Fernandez. I've smoked through several 5 packs of toros, which are pretty good and can be had on C-Bid for as little as $11, but I nabbed a fiver of these lanceros from Cigar Auctioneer.

Box-pressed, dark maduro wrapper. The cigar is a bit light in the hand, but the draw is surprisingly not loose.

Interesting flavors at first. I was expecting the typical maduro flavors of coffee/cocoa/etc. but the first inch or so has an herbal and earthy flavor.

Toward the middle, the more typical maduro-like flavors start to come through. The draw has tightened a bit, which tells me that I need to move the rest of these to my low humidity humidor for a while. The draw really closes up and the flavor starts getting sour in the last 1/3.

Gonna store these in a low humidty box for a few months and revisit. Definite promise, though.
Old 10-14-2020, 11:01 PM   #71
4WheelVFR
Wild'n since '87

Montecristo

Hmmm. I was eyeballing those just the other day. Might be worth a look.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:12 PM   #72
4WheelVFR
Wild'n since '87

Montecristo

Last night I smoked a My Father La Gran Oferta Lancero and a My Father La Promesa Lancero. The Gran Oferta was pretty good, but fell short of what I figured I'd get from My Father cigars. Nice even burn, plenty of smoke, and a decent enough flavor. The construction was a little spongy in places and looked a little rough for something from My Father. Good cigar though.
The La Promesa was a little better. Similar to the Oferta but the construction and appearance was noticeably nicer. Flavor was just a little better as well.
Both were worth the investment of a fiver imo, based off of my first impression, but I won't be looking for more yet.
Old 10-25-2020, 10:15 PM   #73
4WheelVFR
Wild'n since '87

Montecristo

Tonight I continued with the My Father line and smoked the No. 4 Lancero from the "Classic" line. This cigar fit right in between the Gran Oferta and Promesa in terms of construction and appearance. Burn and smoke production was about the same, which was nice. This one however was better than the other two in terms of flavor and strength, for me at least. Noticeably stronger than either of the other two and fuller flavor as well. I'm not sure I'd go a box yet, but definitely couldn't hurt keeping some around. All around nice cigar.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:18 PM   #74
borndead1

Partagas

Revisiting the Alec Bradley Coyol Petit Lancero, which is more of a lonsdale size. I got this one in a lancero trade I did a while back. Smoking this with a nice Mourvedre wine from northern CA.

Really good construction. This cigar was expertly crafted. No lumps, perfectly smooth, perfect draw.

Starts off nice. Medium 'strength', fairly typical Nicaraguan flavors and aromas.

Around 1/3 through, a nice woodsy flavor comes in.

Around halfway...nice flavors and aromas. A very slow burning cigar; I lit 'er up at around 45 min ago and I'm barely halfway through. Decent burn; a few small touchups with the torch here and there.

Last 1/3...woodsy flavor is still dominant, with the typical Nicaraguan flavors in the background. Let 'er die around 1.5".

Honestly, this one was better than my first one. Maybe it's because I was drankin' while I was smoking it. I dunno, but it was a pretty good smoke.
Old 11-14-2020, 08:38 PM   #75
borndead1

Partagas

Cuban Crafters Medina 1959 lancero (7.5" x 38)

I've ordered some pretty good bundle cigars from CC over the years, so last time I was looking, I threw a few of these singles in with my order.

Decent construction, not great. The head is a teeny bit underfilled and the cap isn't perfect. But the draw is good, which can be a problem with small RG smokes.

Pretty straightforward smoke. Solid but not great. The Tony Alvarez lanceros I ordered at the same time are better. I'll do a review of that one next.
Old 11-16-2020, 09:01 PM   #76
borndead1

Partagas

Tony Alvarez Habano lancero (7.5" x 38).

I've ordered a few of Tony's bundles from Cuban Crafters over the years and have never been disappointed. In my Neverending Quest For The Perfect Lancero, I decided to snag a bundle of ol' Tony's lanceros from CC.

Nice roll; smoothly wrapped with no lumps. The wrapper has a really nice floral smell. Decent draw; a little tight but these haven't been in the humi for long. I took a few out of the cello and put them in my low humidity box a week or so ago.

Starts off really nice. Pretty straightforward tobacco flavors and aromas. About 1" in, a nice toasted bread flavor comes in. It's a unique flavor that I don't think I've ever experienced before. Almost like a fresh baked biscuit or something. I was hoping that the floral smell of the wrapper would come through in the flavor, but no such luck.

Around halfway, the bread-like flavor is gone, being replaced with a distinct anise flavor. Anise is one of those flavors that I can't stand by itself (yuck @ black licorice) but I like it as an accent flavor. Good burn so far. Only a few small touch ups. Nice aroma coming from the foot.

This one started turning a bit sour at about 3". Did a flame purge and it didn't help much, so I snuffed it.

These smokes definitely have some potential. Gonna let the rest of the bundle nap for a while and revisit later.
Old 11-19-2020, 05:49 AM   #77
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Ray gifted me a My Father Gran Operta. Smoked it the other day while out in the woods with the bow (successful harvest too).

A good looking stick, with a nice Colorado-ish wrapper. After cutting, the draw was perfect. While I had my attention on other things, I did not some hints of leather, slight spice, and a bit of earthiness. I really enjoyed it until the last 1.5", but a purge brought it back with a rich tobacco flavor and slight sweetness.

I truly enjoyed this smoke.

Thanks 4WheelVFR!
Old 12-03-2020, 05:11 PM   #78
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Couple more cigars from 4WheelVfr that I smoked.

This was an incredibly tasty smoke. I liked the shape too, that both ends were sealed was a novelty. It had some excellent sweetness, white pepper, and an evolving flavor profile.

Thanks Ray!
Old 12-03-2020, 08:05 PM   #79
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Well, I received another lancero... I had truly high expectations for this particular stick.

Some of the flavors were grand, but some others... It was impossible to snork without causing eyes to water and severe pain. And as for the draw, even with repeated use of a draw poker, it was like trying to smoke a pencil.

Sad to say, there was much left when I finally gave up...disappointedly.

Old 12-03-2020, 09:04 PM   #80
4WheelVFR
Wild'n since '87

Montecristo

Todd, I've smoked a couple of those CoLa's that have been plugged as well. Thankfully most have been good out of this box though. Sorry you got one of the crap ones....that's frustrating. Glad you like the Crux. That's a tasty little cigar and it's been a while since I've had one myself.