Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 05-13-2020, 02:44 PM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Caldwell Eastern Standard - Corretto

Found this bottle of Irish Whiskey..

then found a cigar to go with it...

Caldwell Eastern Standard - Corretto
50 x 5 Robusto

The info on this line at Atlantic Cigar is as follows. This boutique brand offers everything you want in a premium cigar. Meticulously crafted by Henderson and William Ventura in the Dominican Republic this cigar offers exotic flavors on your palate. Since this company is on the micro scale they can use the finest and most rare tobaccos compared to the larger “mainstream” companies. Eastern Standard has a hybrid Connecticut shade wrapper. The filler and binder of this boutique blend are so unusual we do not even know what they consist of.

1) Aesthetics: I really like the Caldwell bands, they are fun. A slightly oily, EMS (they claim a Connecticut? wrapper it is a bit darker than most Connecticut wrappers), only slightly veiny, and again a slight pigtail finish to the cap of this Caldwell. Very good-looking cigar, but…see pre-light construction.

2) Pre-light Construction: This is an evenly filled cigar with some serious weight to it. While it feels and looks good, there is one issue, there is a hole in the wrapper, and obvious hole that was present when the wrapper was applied. I pray it does not present a problem while smoking.

3) Post-light Construction/How it smoked: The obvious wrapper blemish (OK, a downright hole) concerned me as I lit it, but it was not problematic as nice volumes of smoke were easily produced. A slightly flaky grey/white mottled ash held for a a good 1.5 inches.

4) Flavor and strength: There was an interesting “paper” note (only way to describe it) present for the first inch and… Hints of burning oak, walnuts, and dark molasses seems to weave themselves around my mouth, and something I cannot put my finger on.

5) Aftertaste/Finish: Here is found a bitter (in a good way) sweetness with hints of walnuts..

6) Aroma: Again the bitter sweetness, and this was complimented by hints of white pepper, and nuts. It was easily snorkable.

7) General Comments: I only had the one, but as you can see that overall, I enjoyed it. I will look for deals on these and possibly buy a few. It is, as I have said before, hard to base a solid recommendation on only one sample, but the indications are positive. As you can see, it did get "nubbed".
Old 05-13-2020, 02:52 PM   #2
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Re: Caldwell Eastern Standard - Corretto

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
Found this bottle of Irish Whiskey..

By the way, this was only $26 at the local liquor store, not know for be the least expensive place to get such things.

Ummm, I do not do whiskey reviews, I will leave that to my buddy on Angels Portion https://angelsportion.com/ He is a fellow LCMS pastor with quite a sense of humor.

Suffice it to say, I will be stopping in to pick up a couple more bottles to have around. Was outside with a friend for the night which garnered this review, and let's just say, I think a couple people sneaked into the yard and helped themselves to it when we had our backs turned... dirty, whiskey, thieving bastages.
Old 05-13-2020, 03:48 PM   #3
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Caldwell Eastern Standard - Corretto

Oh, those whiskey thieves! Turn 'em over to the Sinn Féin. Todd!

Great review. One of the Caldwells I like best, though I'd still take a Long Live the King over any of them.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote