Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 04-13-2020, 06:12 PM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Blind Review participants

I forgot to put this in the box to you three, but if you could review the three cigars according to this manner, it would be appreciated! Thanks! If you do not put scores in the different categories, as you are only getting one sample for each stick, that is understandable - if you want to, the scoring numbers are listed below the categories.

Thanks for participating.

1) Aesthetics: the look of the cigar - oily, coarse, smooth, dry, light, dark, pretty, ugly, etc...

Score for aesthetics:

2) Pre-light Construction: Roll cigar between fingers - soft spots? loose? tight? dense? lightweight? Well rolled? how does it smell?

Score for Pre-light construction:

3) Post-light Construction/How it smoked: Does it draw well, does smoke pull through on its own, do soft spots appear after lighting, burnes evenly? smokes hot or cool? What is ash like? color of ash? flaky or solid?

Score for post-light construction:

4a) Flavor and strength – 1st 1/3: What does it taste like? Full-bodied, med. or mild? Does it taste earthy, spicy, fruity, vegetal, sweet, rich, harsh, direct, floral, robust, woody, green (haylike), acidic, salty? Is it pleasant or unpleasant? Does it build in flavor and/or complexity as you smoke it? Is it bland, flavorful, complex? Did it get bitter?

4b) Flavor and strength – 2nd 1/3:

4c) Flavor and strength – Last 1/3:

Score for flavor and strength:

5) Aftertaste/Finish: aftertaste is the sensation &/or flavor on you palate after each puff, not the taste left after you finish the cigar. Is it heavy - light? Spicy, cedary, fruity, bitter, hot, grassy? Mild - strong? Pleasant or not? Harsh?

Score for aftertaste:

6) Aroma: What does it smell like? Good - bad? light or heavy? pervasive - mild? floral, perfumed, grassy, harsh, woodsy, overpowering, unpleasant, magnificent?

Score for aroma:

7) General Comments: Are samples consistent? Did you particlarily enjoy of with a certain food or beverage? Did they appeal more at certain time of day? Did it remind you of something? Would you buy them? Sum it up as you would to a friends ("That cigar was awesome!") and give it an overall score.

Overall score for the cigar:

8) Recommendation: Would you recommend the cigar? Pick one of the following and explain:

Not Recommended
Possibly Recommended
Recommended
Highly Recommended

0.0 - 2.0 = poor/inferior quality
2.1 - 2.9 = fair
3.0 - 3.5 = good
3.5 - 4.5 = excellent
4.6 - 5.0 = superior
Old 04-13-2020, 07:25 PM   #2
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice
Default Re: Blind Review participants

Well darn it would appear my rather lengthy absence has caused me to miss some of the fun. How he been Rev?
Old 04-20-2020, 08:25 AM   #3
Conch Republican
10-78

Trading: (60)
HUpmann
Conch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to behold

Well, I got caught off guard by this - and with the palette of a billy goat... this will NOT be a review a-la Hemingway!
I will work on the 3 cigars and try to get something up - just make sure your expectations are low on the review...it ain't often I get floral notes - like agitated geraniums...
Old 04-20-2020, 10:29 AM   #4
Conch Republican
10-78

HUpmann
Conch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to behold

1) Aesthetics: the look of the cigar - oily, coarse, smooth, dry, light, dark, pretty, ugly, etc...Cigar #1: Normal looking cigar, wrapper is not very smooth, but not extremely toothy

Score for aesthetics:

2) Pre-light Construction: Roll cigar between fingers - soft spots? loose? tight? dense? lightweight? Well rolled? how does it smell?cigar seems very consistent in the roll - no abnormalities

3) Post-light Construction/How it smoked: Does it draw well, does smoke pull through on its own, do soft spots appear after lighting, burns evenly? smokes hot or cool? What is ash like? color of ash? flaky or solid?Effortless draw, no real smell noted

4a) Flavor and strength – 1st 1/3: What does it taste like? Full-bodied, med. or mild? Does it taste earthy, spicy, fruity, vegetal, sweet, rich, harsh, direct, floral, robust, woody, green (haylike), acidic, salty? Is it pleasant or unpleasant? Does it build in flavor and/or complexity as you smoke it? Is it bland, flavorful, complex? Did it get bitter? Lighting the cigar - it seems very mild, but that's just my lack of taste buds. about 1 inch in, finally getting woody/ammonia on the rethrohale. Burn is slightly uneven, but I use a Bic Volume of smoke is normal, slightly strong smell - but expected.
Still woody in flavor.

4b) Flavor and strength – 2nd 1/3:I am not expecting a change in flavor or strength until the end. So far the cigar is good, I like the size (about 48 RG and I forgot to measure...if it were cuban I would say abt the size of an Upmann Mag 50 or an RA Superiores, draw is almost too easy, milder than what I usually have but still good. This could be an every day cigar (as always, depending on price

4c) Flavor and strength – Last 1/3:Last 1/3 - ammonia more present now in flavor and retrohale. Just got some woody Still

5) Aftertaste/Finish: aftertaste is the sensation &/or flavor on you palate after each puff, not the taste left after you finish the cigar. Is it heavy - light? Spicy, cedary, fruity, bitter, hot, grassy? Mild - strong? Pleasant or not? Harsh?

Score for aftertaste:

6) Aroma: What does it smell like? Good - bad? light or heavy? pervasive - mild? floral, perfumed, grassy, harsh, woodsy, overpowering, unpleasant, magnificent?

Score for aroma:

7) General Comments: Are samples consistent? Did you particlarily enjoy of with a certain food or beverage? Did they appeal more at certain time of day? Did it remind you of something? Would you buy them? Sum it up as you would to a friends ("That cigar was awesome!") and give it an overall score.

Overall score for the cigar: Overall I would score this as a 7 or 8. Understand that these are my (what few are left) taste buds. Some may find the ammonia overpowering - but I do not.

With that - I recommend everyone try it :-)

8) Recommendation: Would you recommend the cigar? Pick one of the following and explain:

Not Recommended
Possibly Recommended
Recommended
Highly Recommended

2.1 - 2.9 = fair
3.0 - 3.5 = good
3.5 - 4.5 = excellent
4.6 - 5.0 = superior
Old 04-20-2020, 02:39 PM   #5
Conch Republican
10-78

HUpmann

Cigar labeled as #3 (since #2 is a Maduro - will work on that one tomorrow)

1) Aesthetics: the look of the cigar - oily, coarse, smooth, dry, light, dark, pretty, ugly, etc... This is a robusto, decent mid-dark wrapper

Score for aesthetics:

2) Pre-light Construction: Roll cigar between fingers - soft spots? loose? tight? dense? lightweight? Well rolled? how does it smell? Feels consistently dense (like me), slight woody smell from the foot; cuts well - easy draw

3) Post-light Construction/How it smoked: Does it draw well, does smoke pull through on its own, do soft spots appear after lighting, burnes evenly? smokes hot or cool? What is ash like? color of ash? flaky or solid? Easy light, smells like burning wood

4a) Flavor and strength – 1st 1/3: What does it taste like? Full-bodied, med. or mild? Does it taste earthy, spicy, fruity, vegetal, sweet, rich, harsh, direct, floral, robust, woody, green (haylike), acidic, salty? Is it pleasant or unpleasant? Does it build in flavor and/or complexity as you smoke it? Is it bland, flavorful, complex? Did it get bitter? This is interesting, and not sure if it is good or bad...I can't place the flavors...kind of like hot (almost burnt) sugar/cotton candy; still in the 1st 1/3...definitely cotton candy-ish on the retro; Good burn, a little uneven but should settle in.

4b) Flavor and strength – 2nd 1/3:Started the 2nd 1/3...a flavor like hay or burnt hay in the back of the throat. After purge, smokey flavor - like kindling burning on the retro...still a decent burn, good construction.

4c) Flavor and strength – Last 1/3:Last 1/3, a little more ammonia

5) Aftertaste/Finish: aftertaste is the sensation &/or flavor on you palate after each puff, not the taste left after you finish the cigar. Is it heavy - light? Spicy, cedary, fruity, bitter, hot, grassy? Mild - strong? Pleasant or not? Harsh? Not the best cigar for my tastes, fairly strong after taste...not that it is bad - just not for me. I would score this a 3.5 but I still recommend people try every cigar they can - since everyone has different taste buds (and I have like 3)

Score for aftertaste:

Score for aroma:

Not Recommended
Possibly Recommended
Recommended
Highly Recommended

2.1 - 2.9 = fair
3.0 - 3.5 = good
3.5 - 4.5 = excellent
4.6 - 5.0 = superior
Old 04-20-2020, 05:30 PM   #6
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijit View Post
Well darn it would appear my rather lengthy absence has caused me to miss some of the fun. How he been Rev?
It is good! Hope all is well with you?

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:43 AM   #7
Conch Republican
10-78

HUpmann

1) Aesthetics: the look of the cigar - oily, coarse, smooth, dry, light, dark, pretty, ugly, etc...Bling stick #2...a Maduro toro-ish size. Cut is fine; no real odor noted, draw is effortless

Score for aesthetics:

2) Pre-light Construction: Roll cigar between fingers - soft spots? loose? tight? dense? lightweight? Well rolled? how does it smell?See above

3) Post-light Construction/How it smoked: Does it draw well, does smoke pull through on its own, do soft spots appear after lighting, burnes evenly? smokes hot or cool? What is ash like? color of ash? flaky or solid?

4a) Flavor and strength – 1st 1/3: What does it taste like? Full-bodied, med. or mild? Does it taste earthy, spicy, fruity, vegetal, sweet, rich, harsh, direct, floral, robust, woody, green (haylike), acidic, salty? Is it pleasant or unpleasant? Does it build in flavor and/or complexity as you smoke it? Is it bland, flavorful, complex? Did it get bitter? Post light, cigar seems very mild; good construction, nice burn, nice white ash. There is an unpleasant aftertaste - but I may also not be awake :-) Unpleasant is a strong word...I am pairing this with my morning coffee, it seems to have changed and we are only into the 1st inch. Less unpleasant after taste, the ash is starkly white - with the offset of the Maduro wrapper. Burn is still ok...the aftertaste is a bit bitter, but not horrible - then again my 1st 2 conference calls are the same today

4b) Flavor and strength – 2nd 1/3: ok, just starting the 2nd 1/3 of the cigar...There is still an odd aftertaste...almost like when ginger ale bubbles on your tongue. Again not horrible, but I typically do not smoke NC's so this is a very different journey for my 3 taste buds. Still on the mild-medium side for me. Not much change either way

4c) Flavor and strength – Last 1/3: Entering the last 1/3; construction is still good, getting a bit stronger, and a little more of a chemical taste to the cigar. Unknown if I will make it to nub status yet... A bit more ammonia on the retrohale - this is not bad, but if DBall were reviewing, he would likely pair this cigar with a glass of bleach
Down to the nub, less ammonia - which is surprising. Stronger than the start and middle.

Score for aftertaste:

Score for aroma:

8) Recommendation: Would you recommend the cigar? Pick one of the following and explain: Overall a decent mild to Medium cigar. As I said in previous reviews - everyone should try every cigar.

Not Recommended
Possibly Recommended
Recommended
Highly Recommended
Old 04-24-2020, 06:27 PM   #8
DAFU
Duke of Prunes

First Name: Dave
Trading: (35)
HUpmann
DAFU will become famous soon enoughDAFU will become famous soon enough

1) Aesthetics: the look of the cigar - oily, coarse, smooth, dry, light, dark, pretty, ugly, etc...
Nice silky smooth, medium brown wrapped toro sized cigar. Looks fine except the cap is off kilter a bit.
Score for aesthetics: 4

2) Pre-light Construction: Roll cigar between fingers - soft spots? loose? tight? dense? lightweight? Well rolled? how does it smell?
A bit underfilled mostly but seems to be rolled OK.
Score for pre-light construction: 3.5

3) Post-light Construction/How it smoked: Does it draw well, does smoke pull through on its own, do soft spots appear after lighting, burns evenly? smokes hot or cool? What is ash like? color of ash? flaky or solid?
Lit up and smoked easily. Little touch-ups needed, produced a nice salt and pepper ash. Smoked a touch hot if not going slow and easy.
Score for post-light construction: 3.5

4a) Flavor and strength – 1st 1/3: What does it taste like? Full-bodied, med. or mild? Does it taste earthy, spicy, fruity, vegetal, sweet, rich, harsh, direct, floral, robust, woody, green (haylike), acidic, salty? Is it pleasant or unpleasant? Does it build in flavor and/or complexity as you smoke it? Is it bland, flavorful, complex? Did it get bitter?
Started out with earthy barnyard aromas permeated by a woody floral note. At about an inch a creaminess emerged and evolved with some sweet biscuit flavors. I'm thinking Cuban tobacco in here with a Honduran wrap maybe. Not bad for a light/medium profile stick. At about halfway a dank earthiness emerged and had to slow down to keep it from becoming too bitter. No real progression in the last half and wishing it had stayed the same as the first.
Score for flavor and strength: 3

Score for aftertaste:

Score for aroma:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200424_131208.jpg (117.6 KB, 395 views)
Old 04-24-2020, 06:59 PM   #9
DAFU
Duke of Prunes

HUpmann

Oops trying to hurry and need a redo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAFU View Post
Nice silky smooth, medium brown wrapped toro sized cigar. Looks fine except the cap is off kilter a bit.

A bit underfilled mostly but seems to be rolled OK.
Score for pre-light construction: 3.5

3) Post-light Construction/How it smoked: Does it draw well, does smoke pull through on its own, do soft spots appear after lighting, burns evenly? smokes hot or cool? What is ash like? color of ash? flaky or solid?
Lit up and smoked easily. Little touch-ups needed, produced a nice salt and pepper ash. Smoked a touch hot if not going slow and easy.
Score for post-light construction: 3.5

Started out with earthy barnyard aromas permeated by a woody floral note. At about an inch a creaminess emerged and evolved with some sweet biscuit flavors. I'm thinking Cuban tobacco in here with a Honduran wrap maybe. Not bad for a light/medium profile stick. At about halfway a dank earthiness emerged and had to slow down to keep it from becoming too bitter. No real progression in the last half and wishing it had stayed the same as the first.
Score for flavor and strength: 3

Started with an earthy finish evolving to creamy and floral, very pleasant till the last third when it became a little bitter.
Score for aftertaste: 3.5

Aroma was mild, woodsy, floral and in no way overpowering. Pretty good.
Score for aroma: 4

Smoked this while knocking around some golf balls on a nice afternoon. Was thinking it was a pretty good smoke with a Cubanesqe profile. Overall an average stick and one that ultimately reminded me of some Equadorian cigars I'd smoked many moon ago only a little better.
Overall score for the cigar: 3.5

I could recommend this to someone wanting a milder bodied smoke with a Cubanesque flavor. May improve a bit with some age.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200424_131208.jpg (117.6 KB, 401 views)
Old 04-25-2020, 07:52 AM   #10
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAFU View Post
Oops trying to hurry and need a redo.
Which stick? #1, #2, #3...
Old 04-25-2020, 09:44 AM   #11
DAFU
Duke of Prunes

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
Which stick? #1, #2, #3...
Sorry....that would be #1
Old 05-02-2020, 09:39 PM   #12
DAFU
Duke of Prunes

HUpmann
Default Re: BlindReview participants

Smoked cigar #3 on the deck after supper with a pour of Four Roses Small Batch.

Robusto sized medium brown and silky smooth. Looks good.

Nicely rolled, maybe a little spongy. Not much of a cold aroma.
Score for Pre-light construction: 3.5

Cigar smoked well, plenty of smoke with white ash. No relights necessary. A little hot at the end.

Score for post-light construction: 4

Started out mild with slightly sweet floral notes on the retrohale.
4b) Flavor and strength – 2nd 1/3:
Picked up a little strength with hay replacing the floral notes. Full medium bodied now.
4c) Flavor and strength – Last 1/3:
Some of the sweet floral notes returning with some spicyness. Not quite a nubber but pleasant enough. Guessing Dominican and/or Nicaraguan blend.
Score for flavor and strength: 3.5

Probably the favorite aspect of the smoke. Particularly the sweet floral and creamy notes. A little milder in flavor than what I usually smoke but OK for a change of pace.
Score for aftertaste: 4

Light floral aroma to my senses. Not offensive in any way.
Score for aroma: 4

Paired this cigar with a pour of Four Roses Small Batch and it complemented the sweet floral nose of the bourbon. I did enjoy it but probably not a cigar I would purchase. Maybe because I've been smoking 99% Habanos for awhile.
Overall score for the cigar: 3.5

I'd recommend this cigar if you're looking for a light but flavorful NC.
Not Recommended
Possibly Recommended
Recommended
Highly Recommended
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200502_184217_1588468216872[1231].jpg (98.6 KB, 389 views)