Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 04-18-2020, 06:20 PM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Caldwell - The King is Dead

Caldwell - The King Is Dead
5X50? The Robusto?

Aesthetics: This stick is enveloped by slightly oily EMS colored wrapper EMS with some veins, the seam showing, and a strange discoloration following one of the veins (never saw this before). It is sealed with a pigtail cap. I like the band depicting a chair split in half - the colors of the band blend nicely with the hues of the wrapper.

Pre-light Construction: A very firm cigar from foot to head, with nice heft to it. There's a pretty light nose of hay, sweetgrass, a light spice and something else. (it is the next morning, I figured out the smell I could not identify when I put a spoonful of raw honey in my morning tea)

Flavor & Strength: This is not a powerful cigar by any means with subdued flavors that I was having difficulty identifying - but I really liked it. Seemed to have slight hints of pepper, an ephemeral sweetness, it appears to taste like the whole wheat bread I make with honey and Guiness beer. It was a nice smoke to exhale through the nose (I call it snorking), sometimes non-Cubans tend to really be hard on the nose, this was pleasant, where I really got the bread notes.

Post-light Construction: It burned well, not 100% straight, but no touch-ups were needed despite the very breezy conditions. It’s grey and white mottled ash clung tenaciously until I bumped it.

Finish: I was drinking a double IPA, so that might have something to do with it, but the finish was light and very fleeting what seemed to be white chocolate with a bit of pepper.

Aroma: Again, I had the wheat bread smell.

General Comments: Another Caldwell where I picked up flavors I could not readily identify, but found thoroughly enjoyable. A great smoke! As you can see, I smoked it to the nub and it was wonderful right to the end!

Old 04-18-2020, 06:29 PM   #2
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: Caldwell - The King is Dead

Thanks for the review. Glad you enjoyed it, and only sorry you didn't get the chance to enjoy it out in the woods.
Old 04-18-2020, 07:16 PM   #3
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Dave
Trading: (21)
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about

Now that may be beyond nub and into tooth pick range hah. Nice, might win some in auction so may try this in a few weeks.
Old 04-19-2020, 03:52 AM   #4
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Good Stick And Review, Todd! Thanks!. Can Anyone Tell Me The Differences Between The King Is Dead & Long Live The King Versions??? I Have A Difficult Time Determing Cigar Nuances.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 11:44 AM   #5
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Great review, Todd.

Greg, I find the LLtK to have a much nuttier profile than the King is Dead. I pick up flavoes of cashews and other nuts with LLtK, where I don't with the other. I like them both, but just scored another 10 LLtK on CigarBid as they have become my go-to NC at this point.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 02:38 AM   #6
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Great review, Todd.

Greg, I find the LLtK to have a much nuttier profile than the King is Dead. I pick up flavoes of cashews and other nuts with LLtK, where I don't with the other. I like them both, but just scored another 10 LLtK on CigarBid as they have become my go-to NC at this point.
Thanks, Brother! Impressive Rating Since I Know You Don't Smoke That Many NC's.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 08:02 AM   #7
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Thanks, Brother! Impressive Rating Since I Know You Don't Smoke That Many NC's.
Actually, I smoke more NCs that CCs lately, as that is what is left in the humidor and as I had two CC packages confiscated (2016 & 2018) and have been fearful of ordering much as I figure my name and address are now "flagged."

I also have had some members give me "store" cash at some of the NC online retailers as we have not B&M less than an hour from us.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 04-25-2020, 05:02 PM   #8
The camaro show
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Chayse
Trading: (1)
VR
The camaro show will become famous soon enough

Great review!
The camaro show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 05:56 PM   #9
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Just received a litter of 10 in the mail from C-bid.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 04-26-2020, 07:42 PM   #10
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post

Just received a litter of 10 in the mail from C-bid.
Those look more like, Long Live The King! Jus' saying!
Old 04-27-2020, 08:45 AM   #11
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
Those look more like, Long Live The King! Jus' saying!
You would be correct. I never claimed to be the sharpest knife in the drawer.