Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 01-21-2009, 12:07 PM   #1
Nick
Feeling at Home

First Name: That's confidential
Trading: (4)
Nick is on a distinguished road
Default Peterson Aran

I am curious to see if there is anyone here who has a Peterson Aran. I'm looking at getting a pot. The last peterson I had which was a system smoked really wet and hot.

If any of you have an opinion I would surely like to hear it.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:13 PM   #2
Slow Triathlete
I Need A Beer!!

First Name: Scott
Trading: (11)
RA
Slow Triathlete is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Peterson Aran

Most Petes are good. I have a few. Although I have never smoked a system pipe.
Slow Triathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:03 PM   #3
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Love the Pete - hate the system and P-lip. Muddled grain is nothing compared to their good smoking qualities, especially in the $60 range.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
Curly Cut
Not Scary

Trading: (9)
Curly Cut is on a distinguished road

there's a member usernamed "Jeff" on a couple boards, he owns a 999 Aran (their bulldog shape) that i've seen in person.
when i first saw it, i couldn't believe how small the bowl was. i don't know if that's just indicative of that shape or not... sorry, i'm not a "pete" fan at all and can't help.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:01 PM   #5
Mister Moo

Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Cut View Post
there's a member usernamed "Jeff" on a couple boards, he owns a 999 Aran (their bulldog shape) that i've seen in person.
when i first saw it, i couldn't believe how small the bowl was. i don't know if that's just indicative of that shape or not... sorry, i'm not a "pete" fan at all and can't help.
The Pete Aran Pot is fairly spacious, I'd say, at .82 ID x 1.4" Depth in Irish inches. Pete does make some small bowls here and there, though. I have one (a Killarny bulldog) and really like it - but I do favor smallish bowls, unlike Curly "Big Bowl" Cut.

from smokingpipes.com:

Peterson: Aran (606) P-Lip

Product Number: 002-029-5036
It's pretty hard not to love the classic pot, and what pot would be considered more classic than the venerable "606" from Peterson of Dublin?! We ordered this one with Peterson's patented P-Lip bit.

--Bear Graves

Aran (606) P-Lip

Measurements & Other Details

Length: 6.16 in./156.46 mm. Weight: 1.90 oz./53.86 g.
Bowl Height: 1.73 in./43.94 mm. Chamber Depth: 1.41 in./35.81 mm.
Chamber Diameter: .82 in./20.83 mm. Outside Diameter: 1.60 in./40.64 mm.
Stem Material: Vulcanite Filter: None
Shape: Pot Finish: Smooth
Material: Briar Country: Ireland
Old 01-21-2009, 03:01 PM   #6
Big D KC

I have an aran in a 268 (zulu) shape. Its just like the one Slow Triathlete is selling in the B/S/T section, though not green.

I like mine, as far as i can tell it smokes fine. I don't think that the bowl on mine is really that small, rather it just feels small based on the overall size of the pipe. (if that makes any sense) I use mine for a VA pipe. Smokes dry, does smoke a little warm, but it does not have any cake buildup to speak of as of yet.

Mine does have some pretty nice grain to it. Overall I am happy with mine!
Old 01-21-2009, 05:32 PM   #7
Nick
Feeling at Home

That one on smoking pipes is the one that has me all hot and bothered. I like smoking Straight Virginia's in wide bowls but I don't like them in deep bowls. I think i may just have to bite the bullet against my better judgement knowing that my cash flow isn't great at this time. I'll let you guys know what happens.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:27 AM   #8
DubintheDam

I just smoked my new Pete 68 Sterling Silver, boy that die in the bowl tastes yuck. They take a while to break in, but I find the distinct advantage of the Aran is the lack of varnish, many Pete's do have a heavy varnish, so for price the Aran is a much better buy than many of their more expensive pipes. IMO...dub
Old 01-23-2009, 08:41 AM   #9
Big D KC

yea I did leech out the die w/ alcahol in mine before smoking. Think I had to resort to a little bit of sanding too before it was all said and gone.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:54 AM   #10
Nick
Feeling at Home

Thanks for all the reviews like I said I had a pete and i hated it so it's hard for me to buy another one. I ended up finding a Savinelli bent pot for about 15 bucks cheaper. I'll post pics when I get it. That Aran sure looks pretty though.

Hey big D boswell had a couple nose warmers up, did you snag one of them. They were all gone in about a day.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:13 PM   #11
Big D KC

Nah, I missed those! quite honestly I have gone off the deepend a bit on the PAD lately. I need to cool it down lol!

I did check them out there, love the butterscotch bit! I would like to have another boswell N/W some day. I'd like to have a custom one made!
Old 02-04-2009, 04:54 PM   #12
petewho

I have a Pete Aran bulldog. I am with Dub on this one - the (stain? dye? coloring?) they put is inside the bowl and down in the shank and you can taste it when its new. Even the pipe cleaners come out with the color on them at first.

Otherwise it's nice. I'm not a big fan of its appearance, but it smokes well. Being a pretty thick-walled bulldog, it smokes cool.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:29 AM   #13
pipeoverwife

I have a few Peterson Pipes and truly enjoy them. I do not care for the P-Lip style however. They do take a while to break in to get the flavor out of the bowl but have patience with it... I'm not sure what they put in the bowl but it give it a bad flavor for the first few smokes.

You may also want to try a Savinelli. I just started smoking a Savinelli Qandale and love it! I usually get my pipes online too as I find better prices.

Hope this helps!
-PipeOverWife
Old 08-10-2012, 06:17 AM   #14
Mister Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipeoverwife View Post
...They do take a while to break in to get the flavor out of the bowl but have patience with it... I'm not sure what they put in the bowl but it give it a bad flavor for the first few smokes.

-PipeOverWife
80% varnish and/or stain
20% ass

Why do those morons insist on dipping some of their pipes, chamber and all?
Old 08-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #15
badbriar

To each their own... whichever your preference (p-lip or fishtail), Peterson pipes are very nice pipes.
I have 9 Petersons, all with a P-Lip. 7 of the Pete's are system pipes, all of which smoke cool and dry. One of my Pete's is an attractive Aran 68 smooth with great grain to the briar. Also a great smoking pipe. I find the P-Lip smokes cooler and is easier to keep my pipe lit. just my 2c
RR