Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-17-2009, 08:49 AM   #1
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold
Default 40 years ago today

December 17, 1969. Funny how clear the memories of that day.

Sleeping over at a high school buddy's house and being sent on our way to school after a full breakfast prepared my his mom. She and my mom worked together waitressing and were great friends and were going to finalize their Christmas shopping later that day.

Took my usual walk off campus for my smoke break at lunch time (yeah, smoking already for 3 years at age 15) and walked past the Lutheran school nearby, where I stopped and chatted with my baby sister while she was on recess. I still see her face through the fence to this day.

Memory is a little fuzzier until I get home, I would suppose well after school's over. 3 mile walk rather than a bus ride. They frowned on smoking on the bus.

Once home, the phone rings and my step-dad gets a call and says there's been an accident. I remember trying to reassure him all the way on our 40 mile trip to the hospital that it can't be that bad or they would have told us.

I still remember the smell of the emergency room waiting area and just how all the furniture was arranged. The doctor comes in and quietly talks to my step-dad and takes him into another room. That's when I heard the wail, the wail I still hear today. It's then I realize how bad it can be.

While finishing up shopping, my mom's car was broad-sided by someone, in town, mind you, who was late for work and decided that speed limit and stop signs be damned, I need to get to work. There in the blink of an eye, my mom, my baby sister, and my buddy's mom all went to meet Jesus. 40 years young for the ladies, 9 years young for my sister.

Is it a wonder that Christmas presents don't quite have the luster for me they once had. It definitely puts the holidays in the proper perspective. It's about family and friends sharing their company with one another. The other stuff is just that, stuff.

I'll be smoking a good one later today with a tear in remembrance.
Smoke 'em if you've got 'em and tell the friends and family they're loved.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:31 AM   #2
qwerty1500
Good thing I'm normal

Trading: (0)
HUpmann
qwerty1500 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 40 years ago today

Memories can be a curse or a blessing. And, it's always more vivid when those memories involve the holiday season. Some will always hurt. All you can do sometimes is try to focus on the good memories. God bless you as you remember your Mom, baby sister and your friend's Mom.
qwerty1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:38 AM   #3
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Thoughts & Prayers Sent For You & Your Family, Tim, During This Difficult Time. Thanks For Sharing, Brother.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:40 AM   #4
Tombstone

Thoughts and prayers sent.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:51 AM   #5
mrreindeer

Tim, thank you so much for sharing a very difficult and terrible thing with us and for reminding us what's really important. My thoughts go out to you and your family today.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:40 AM   #6
G G
BR549

Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Love ya buddy, and will be praying for yall.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:50 AM   #7
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14holestogie View Post
It's about family and friends sharing their company with one another. The other stuff is just that, stuff.

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers, but this was what I was hoping was taken from the story.

It's all good.

...and I love you all.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:52 AM   #8
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Thanks for the thoughts and prayers, but this was what I was hoping was taken from the story.

It's all good.

...and I love you all.

Tim, thanks for this story and the perspective. Things can happen really fast and sometimes we don't get a reminder of what's important so thank you for that as well.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:18 AM   #9
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

Old 12-17-2009, 09:50 AM   #10
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

Quote:

Agreed.

I lost my dad much too soon on Dec. 12 years back. This time of year is always sort of bittersweet for me.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:18 AM   #11
Riff Raff
Habitual Offender

First Name: Bill
Trading: (11)
Montecristo Navy (Served With Honor)
Riff Raff is on a distinguished road

Tim, I most certainly will join you in your tribute to your mom, sister and friends mom! It is tragic. I hug my wife and son every day. Say the things that should be said today, right now.

I love you brother! May the peace and love of the Lord bless you all of your days!
Old 12-17-2009, 10:30 AM   #12
Hendy
Running with Scissors

First Name: Scott
Trading: (18)
HUpmann
Hendy is on a distinguished road

Tim, thinking about you and your family on this day. Tear in my eye and prayers in my heart.

God Bless and Merry Christmas.
Hendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:37 AM   #13
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

Tim... the strength and courage you had in dealing with this is remarkable.

I am sorry for this loss from so many years ago. I am thankful that you are here and part of this community. Enjoy your family this Christmas and know that there are folks here at CA who love and support you, bro.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:42 AM   #14
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Thank You Tim.
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:41 AM   #15
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the reminder, Tim. It's sad that things like this are what make us realize the important things in life. Thoughts and prayers sent to you and your family during this time. I know it's been a long time but you never "get over" a personal loss such as this.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:47 AM   #16
srduggins
Feeling at Home

First Name: steve
Trading: (37)
LGC
srduggins will become famous soon enoughsrduggins will become famous soon enough

Thanks for sharing this story. You have a remarkable writing ability and the point is well taken. God Bless you and yours this Christmas.
srduggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:00 AM   #17
Coach Deg
C O W eieio.

First Name: Mike
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
Coach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of light

This will be my second Christmas since cancer took my sister. Her and I always bought each other the best gifts. It's just not the same. I even see things in stores and thunk how much she would love it. I will expand my thoughts and prayers to you and your family. And I think I will sit on my porch after midnight mass and have a smoke on the porch alone with my memories of great Christmas past.
Coach Deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:37 AM   #18
G G
BR549

Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Have lost quite a few family members in the last few years myself Tim, and will most certainly smoke a special cigar and remember them and think of you and your loss and all the other brothers and sisters here who have lost as well.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:47 AM   #19
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

A prayer goes out to you and your family.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:00 PM   #20
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough

Thank you for sharing!
ade06 is offline   Reply With Quote