Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 12-14-2015, 06:21 AM   #1
La femme
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
La femme is on a distinguished road
Default Where do I go next? Smooth but flavorful

I'm at a loss as to where to go when I try my next cigar. I don't mind spending money for a good one, but not on a total crapshoot. So far I really like Rocky Patel 1990, as I'll give a nod to the Banker... This isn't much info, sorry. I've noticed that I like a ton of flavor but nothing harsh or spicy or what I think must be this peppery that people keep mentioning. What is the common denominator between these two cigars? Are they mild, or...

Help?
La femme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:45 AM   #2
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Where do I go next? Smooth but flavorful

I admit that I haven't had a 1990 in over 7 years and never had a Banker. They have very different wrappers (1990 Connecticut Broadleaf/Banker Ecuadoran Habano.) Both are 'higher end' offerings from big output outfits. Neither appears to be marketed as mild or even mild/med.

What are some examples of cigars that you have not enjoyed as much?
With so little to go on, you're likely to get hundreds of suggestions from 'us' that are all over the map.
If you have a decent or even halfway decent shop near you, I recommend asking for their suggestion(s).
Old 12-14-2015, 10:13 AM   #3
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I'd suggest any of the Arturo Fuente Hemingway series, or a bundle of Tampa Sweethearts if you want to save a lot of coin.
To me, the differences are negligible.
In a lot of years, I've suggested Tampa Sweethearts to lots and lots of guys, and I can't think of one that didn't enjoy them as much as me.
I like the maduros, but you should probably try the naturals first. At least until you find out if you enjoy that extra maduro fullness and sweetness.

Darlene the Cigar Girl at Tampa Sweethearts is the BEST.

Good Luck!!!
Old 12-14-2015, 12:42 PM   #4
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about

Hah, your in the RPm90 phase but that's a great cigar.

Ok, putting on my way back machine woo woo woo woo

Padron natural 3000
Illusione cg4
Illusione Epernay in the corona size
Oliva Connecticut, or G
Flor de las Antillas by My Father cigars
Don Pepin Serie JJ
Tatuaje La Casita Criolla

Give those a try.
Weelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:28 PM   #5
La femme
Just in from the Storm

La femme is on a distinguished road

Heh, I figure everything I do as a noob is going to count as a phase since I don't know anything. I'm looking forward to looking back one day and giggling at myself.

I took the suggestion in the first response and went to a local shop. I ended up with a Hemingway and a La Traviata, both Maduro. Here's hoping I like at least one of them.

The problem is that, while I've tried a couple dozen cigars since I started smoking, I feel like I can't trust my own experience. I had a good RP 90 from a shop nearby that doesn't move its stock very quickly, and then a had a terrible, bitter one someone picked up for me somewhere else. My first cigars were flavored, and I remember thinking the Java maduro was okay, but something tells me I'd be underwhelmed by it now that I've gotten away from flavors. I've also ruined some theoretically good cigars by smoking them in the cold or not keeping them at a good humidity. Point is, when I say I hated the Padron 3000, which I did, I'm not sure if it's me or the cigar.

ETA, while I've visited most of the shops in my area, I don't feel like most of the suggestions I've gotten have been very useful. But I'll keep plugging away.
La femme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:39 PM   #6
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

You might try picking up some samplers from some of the online retailers. They're a great way to try a wide variety of smokes at a reasonable cost. When I started getting serious about cigars I ordered a ton of samplers. It helped me realize what I liked and just as importantly what I didn't like.

If you haven't ordered online before, just be aware that you'll want the cigars to rest in your humidor for at least a month or so before firing them up. This is because they usually ship the cigars a little on the "wet" side.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:47 PM   #7
the nub
Papa Chino

Trading: (2)
LGC
the nub is on a distinguished road

here's a crazy idea...why not continue to smoke those two cigars that you like?
the nub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:18 PM   #8
mahtofire14
Chillin in the Aging Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
mahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by La femme View Post
Heh, I figure everything I do as a noob is going to count as a phase since I don't know anything. I'm looking forward to looking back one day and giggling at myself.

I took the suggestion in the first response and went to a local shop. I ended up with a Hemingway and a La Traviata, both Maduro. Here's hoping I like at least one of them.

The problem is that, while I've tried a couple dozen cigars since I started smoking, I feel like I can't trust my own experience. I had a good RP 90 from a shop nearby that doesn't move its stock very quickly, and then a had a terrible, bitter one someone picked up for me somewhere else. My first cigars were flavored, and I remember thinking the Java maduro was okay, but something tells me I'd be underwhelmed by it now that I've gotten away from flavors. I've also ruined some theoretically good cigars by smoking them in the cold or not keeping them at a good humidity. Point is, when I say I hated the Padron 3000, which I did, I'm not sure if it's me or the cigar.

ETA, while I've visited most of the shops in my area, I don't feel like most of the suggestions I've gotten have been very useful. But I'll keep plugging away.
Keep in mind that cigars are an extremely subjective thing. You could have 3,000 people tell you that cigar X is one of the greatest cigars on the planet. But then you smoke one only to find out that you can't stand it. Keep trying cigars and you will find some that you really enjoy. Don't worry about whether it's a high quality cigar or popular. If you like it, it's a good cigar.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:54 PM   #9
Flynnster
Life's too short Swishers

Trading: (7)
Flynnster has a spectacular aura aboutFlynnster has a spectacular aura about

How are you storing your cigars? That could be the reason for the variance in the two RP's.
Flynnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:07 PM   #10
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Welcome to the asylum! A good start is to post a thread here to introduce yourself and get some visibility.

I'd also suggest joining the NST here, a great way to try different sticks is though the Newbie Trade

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...=65160&page=55
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:21 PM   #11
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
Welcome to the asylum! A good start is to post a thread here to introduce yourself and get some visibility.

I'd also suggest joining the NST here, a great way to try different sticks is though the Newbie Trade

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...=65160&page=55
Now that is so,e damn good advice there.

I also like the advice above of samplers.

When I started I joined the Cigar International cigar of the month club and while I didn't like all of them, it allowed me to try a great variety and learn a bit more about the cigars. Your palate is unfortunately your own and this adventure is yours to travel but ultimately you will have too many that you have bought but swear to smoke some day. Do not doubt me on this.

Few here on this forum could smoke their hoard in one year if they didn't buy any cigars during that period and most could last deep into the zombie apocalypse smoking cigars while running from zombies.
Weelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:44 PM   #12
8zeros
What's this button do?

First Name: Roger
8zeros will become famous soon enough

Aforementioned Tampas, Olivas and Padrons would be on my list.
Still in the Rocky corral you would find American Market Selection a good smooth favorable cigar. I had to look it up, it's still there. I just found out they still have the Edge Lite. That may be another one to try. There's some good deals at Famous-Smoke.
Man, this brings back some good memories. I may have to go back and get a few of these again.
It helps if you have friends or relatives to try cigars with. Get a bigger humidor, no, bigger.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:58 PM   #13
smokin5
Have My Own Room

Trading: (69)
Bolivar
smokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nice

Here's a few you may enjoy, off the top of my head:
Carlos Torano Exodus 1959 Gold
Carlos Torano Exodus 1959 Silver
Romeo y Julieta Vintage
Gran Habano #3
Rocky Patel Decade
Alec Bradley Nica Puro
My Father La Duena
Perdomo Champagne
Room 101 (the first blend, just called that, no other name attached)

All are very tasty, balanced & smooth.
Old 12-20-2015, 03:41 AM   #14
oldforge
Still Watching My Back

HUpmann
oldforge has a spectacular aura aboutoldforge has a spectacular aura aboutoldforge has a spectacular aura about

Thumbs up on Weelok's list. Those Illusiones are aging very gracefully.
oldforge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:49 PM   #15
PullMyFinger
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Bill
PullMyFinger is on a distinguished road

Man 'O War Virtues. Great cigar. Just on the right side of medium in strength with all the right flavors. The Churchill is my favorite vitola in these.
PullMyFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 04:23 AM   #16
Touten2
Traveling East

First Name: Tim
Navy (Served With Honor)
Touten2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by La femme View Post
I'm at a loss as to where to go when I try my next cigar. I don't mind spending money for a good one, but not on a total crapshoot. So far I really like Rocky Patel 1990, as I'll give a nod to the Banker... This isn't much info, sorry. I've noticed that I like a ton of flavor but nothing harsh or spicy or what I think must be this peppery that people keep mentioning. What is the common denominator between these two cigars? Are they mild, or...

Help?
I'm new to cigars, too. That said, if you want a ton of flavor...I just finished a Java Mint by Drew Estate and that cigar has it. This cigar has a hint of coffee, with a mint aftertaste. I will definitely be coming back to these.