Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 04-06-2017, 04:43 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Lars Tetens Greenwich Torpedo

I think it was late 2008 or early 2009 when I did a box split with another cigar aficionado from The Netherlands. Now that was something I did more often but this was a special box, the Lars Tetens Gorillafinger and it might be the worst cigar I have ever smoked, although the Cremosa Cubana is a close competitor. And I handed these cigars out as jokes, I have seen people puke after just one puff or turn pale with every puff they took. The Lars Tetens chocolates were good though, but those Gorillafingers were horrible. Then I heard he left the cigar business but the last few months I see his brand pop up on social media again, with new blends, both infused and non infused. Then I got approached by Josh Allison from Lionsofluxury.com who’s involved in the distributing of Lars Tetens cigars. He told me that my review of the gorillafinger was giving them a lot of trouble, which was very nice to hear for me as it means that my blog is read, and asked me if I was willing to try the new blends and give Lars Tetens a chance to redeem himself. As a firm believer in second chances I said yes, but I also said that if I didn’t like the cigars I would write that too.

Josh send me both the Greenwich and the Steampunk, the first cigar that I’m reviewing is the Lars Tetens Greenwich Torpedo, a 5 1/2×54 American puro with filler from Georgia, Kentucky and Virginia, a Connecticut Shade binder of high grade and a Pennsylvania broadleaf wrapper. As far as I’ve been told the cigars are rolled in Pennsylvania, in an undisclosed small factory run by Lars Tetens himself. The only other American puro I smoked, as far as I know, is the La Casita Criollo by Pete Johnson and I like that one a lot, so the expectations are rising. Josh also offers a 10% discount on his Lions of Luxury website with the code ja10, I hesitated to post this offer because I used to be working as a sales rep in The Netherlands and in that position I always opposed to order online abroad since its against the Dutch law and I am pro supporting your local B&M, but most of the visitors of my blog are based in the USA anyway. If you’re not from or living in the USA, please check your countries regulations first, I am not responsible for any confiscations of legal issues! And support your local shops too, they are the ones enabling our hobby with their knowledge and hard work.

Now the cigar, which is slightly box pressed and comes protected by cellophane. Once I remove the cellophane I get hit by a strange smell. The aroma reminds me of applejuice, or even more apple cider, and it is that I know this is a non infused cigar otherwise the aroma would make me think otherwise. The aroma is strong. The cigar has two rings, the top ring is beautiful, a metallic shiny colored ring with red metallic lines and golden colors letters, on top is has a latin text and my latin is non existing so I can’t tell you what it says and the main text is Lars Tetens in a curly font with a handdrawn logo that looks like a cartoonesque version of the Rolex logo on one side and a crest with swords on the other side. The backside has a gray embossed and a red dragon printed. I love the band but unfortunately the big foot band doesn’t match up to it and that one looks like a photocopied ring with the same Latin text, a white square with the name and a logo and some full color pictures of art. If it was my brand I would change that bottom ring immediately. The dark wrapper is flawless, no big veins, just beautiful. The construction feels good and I like the point on the torpedo, which is sharp.

Because of the torpedo size I had to cut the cigar, punching is no option, so I grabbed my Xikar and then got a great cold draw. I do taste some sour apple, a flavor I smelled too, but the taste isn’t as strong as the aroma. I also taste some pepper. After lighting the cigar, with a torch this time, I taste a nice sweet earthy flavor with a little bit of that apple, the combination is unique but pleasant. The subtle sourness of the apple makes the cigar refreshing and a great mix with the nutmeg and cinnamon that I taste after a few puffs. After an inch I taste some cocoa and I little pepper. Halfway I still taste some of the apple with the spices. The flavors evolve into more peppery with sweetness, oak and spices.

The draw is great and the smoke plentiful yet medium thick while i like very thick smoke. The gray ash shows beautiful layers and is quite firm. The burn is straight and slow. The cigar is flavorful, full flavored and full bodied. The smoke time is an hour and twenty five minutes.

Would I buy this cigar again? This cigar is quite unique yet the hefty $19 price tag is too hefty for me to purchase a box. But a single every now and then if possible I would. I have to say, Lars Tetens has redeemed himself. I wasn’t expecting a cigar of this quality from his hands to be honest but credit is where credit’s due, hats off.

Score: 93

Want to see the pictures? https://cigarguideorg.wordpress.com/...nwich-torpedo/