Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 06-22-2011, 06:58 PM   #1
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough
Default Zino Platinum Z-Series

Picked up one of the coronas of these at work to try. It was $8($6 for me), so I figured whats the harm if it sucks.

The wrapper on this cigar is very toothy with a couple veins showing up, making it look somewhat "rustic" if you will. The initial draw was just a tad bit tighter than ideal for me, producing some rich earth flavors.

The initial puffs are where this stick meets its downfall. The first 1/4-1/2" of this cigar produces a strong chemical flavor. I almost tossed it from the overpowering flavor of the chemicals, but I forged onward. Eventually the chemical flavors give way to a deep rich woodiness with a touch of light earth. Theres still a light chemical flavor in the aftertaste, but not enough to make me want to stop. The ash is holding firm as I reach the end of the first inch with a nice white peppercorn color. The burn is getting a bit uneven now, but that may be because of the winds we are getting as a cold front passes through. As I finished typing that last sentence I noticed the burn beginning to correct it self in the absence of wind. The chemical flavors have disappeared now at the 1.5" mark.

More of the same as I reach the start of the second third. Some spice is beginning to come into the picture replacing the earth and some of the woodiness. I tried some nose cycling with this off and on, but the chemicals just come right back when you do, so I'd advise against it. The spice subsides leaving the rich wood as the lone flavor entering the final third.

The earthiness begins to make a comeback in the final third and lingers for the remainder of the smoke. The combination of wood and earth produces a kind of mineral flavor for the smoke. Overall it was a fairly mild smoke, maybe on the fuller side of mild.

Final Verdict: This would be an OK smoke had it not had that initial chemical hit, but because it did this cigar gets a 5.5/10 from me. Enough to make it all the way through, but not enough to make me want to try another. I can think of 20 smokes I'd prefer to smoke for the same amount or less money off the top of my head.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:07 PM   #2
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all
Default Re: Zino Platinum Z-Series

I heard from someone else, I believe Huy, that said these weren't very good. Seems his assessment was correct. I liked the Platinum line for a change of pace smoke.

Thanks for the review
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:11 PM   #3
DaBear
Have My Own Room

HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Yea, I have a coworker who worships anything Zino, so I was hoping that these would at least be decent as mild smokes aren't my cup of tea. Now I've gotta go wash the taste outta my mouth with my first Kristoff Maduro
Old 06-22-2011, 07:27 PM   #4
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Thanks for the review. Guess I will have to try one of the platinum series'
Old 06-22-2011, 08:12 PM   #5
agctribefan

I'm actually not a huge fan of zino but liked these. I thought they were a good stick and more reasonably priced.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:18 PM   #6
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

I very much enjoyed the Platinum Low Rider I was gifted. In fact I am searching some out as we write. I also was given a Zino Classic (Maroon colored band). Very nice for a mild stick.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:24 PM   #7
Tyler

Thanks for the review. Seems like I will steer clear of these.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:52 PM   #8
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
I heard from someone else, I believe Huy, that said these weren't very good. Seems his assessment was correct. I liked the Platinum line for a change of pace smoke.

Thanks for the review
Yeah it was me. Good memory buddy.

I don't remember what the other line tasted like but I'm sure it can't be as bad as the Z.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:29 PM   #9
papajohn67
Reprobate From The 101st

Trading: (62)
papajohn67 is just really nicepapajohn67 is just really nicepapajohn67 is just really nicepapajohn67 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBear View Post
Picked up one of the coronas of these at work to try. It was $8($6 for me), so I figured whats the harm if it sucks.

The wrapper on this cigar is very toothy with a couple veins showing up, making it look somewhat "rustic" if you will. The initial draw was just a tad bit tighter than ideal for me, producing some rich earth flavors.

The initial puffs are where this stick meets its downfall. The first 1/4-1/2" of this cigar produces a strong chemical flavor. I almost tossed it from the overpowering flavor of the chemicals, but I forged onward. Eventually the chemical flavors give way to a deep rich woodiness with a touch of light earth. Theres still a light chemical flavor in the aftertaste, but not enough to make me want to stop. The ash is holding firm as I reach the end of the first inch with a nice white peppercorn color. The burn is getting a bit uneven now, but that may be because of the winds we are getting as a cold front passes through. As I finished typing that last sentence I noticed the burn beginning to correct it self in the absence of wind. The chemical flavors have disappeared now at the 1.5" mark.

More of the same as I reach the start of the second third. Some spice is beginning to come into the picture replacing the earth and some of the woodiness. I tried some nose cycling with this off and on, but the chemicals just come right back when you do, so I'd advise against it. The spice subsides leaving the rich wood as the lone flavor entering the final third.

The earthiness begins to make a comeback in the final third and lingers for the remainder of the smoke. The combination of wood and earth produces a kind of mineral flavor for the smoke. Overall it was a fairly mild smoke, maybe on the fuller side of mild.

Final Verdict: This would be an OK smoke had it not had that initial chemical hit, but because it did this cigar gets a 5.5/10 from me. Enough to make it all the way through, but not enough to make me want to try another. I can think of 20 smokes I'd prefer to smoke for the same amount or less money off the top of my head.
Sounds like you work at a B&M? So would you define "chemical hit"....also a little curious about your experience smoking Zino's?
papajohn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:06 PM   #10
DaBear
Have My Own Room

HdM

Yea, I work at the Raleigh Tinderbox. What I was getting at with chemical hit was the cigar reminded me of cleaning chemicals when cleaning around the house, and the strong stuff at that(ie. bleach, ammonia, etc). This was the first Zino I have had, I'm going to give the regular Platinum line and the Classic line both a try in the next week or two. I may revisit this if I'm impressed with the others.