Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 01-10-2010, 04:08 PM   #1
dogface_313

Default I have a question.

So, I went against the advice I had seen written many times. A couple of months ago i went and purchased a 50 count humidor with a glass top. I should have gone bigger, and I shouldn't have gotten a glass top. I know I know.

The humidor quickly filled up, and now that the dry winter that has set in down here in GA the Humi will now hold steady RH. I decided to take all my cigars out, put them in my cooler(like I said before, humi too small). Cooler works great and is plenty of storage.

However I really like to show my cigars off, and the humi looks great on top of our bar. I am trying to salvage what i can with the humi. So, I got some clear silicone caulking and sealed the top(on the outside) where wood meets glass. I also sealed the hole where the Hygrometer goes. I am re-seasoning the humi completely, however before I go through that process I pose my question.

Did I screw myself by using the silicone? Is it going to impart a taste on my cigars? It is completely on the outside, however if humidity is getting out I figure the scent/fumes of the silicone can permeate as well.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:22 PM   #2
rlmedic
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (5)
rlmedic is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I have a question.

As long as the cigars are not touching the silicone and you allow plenty of time to air out the humidor ie the smell/fumes of the silicone you should be fine. I would leave the lid open for a week that should do it...good luck with your project
rlmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:26 PM   #3
acruce
Just killing Time

First Name: Andy
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
acruce is on a distinguished road

How far off is the RH? have a glass top humi which drops a few points during the winter months but not enough to be to concerned about.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:09 PM   #4
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Depending on the type of silicone you used it may take some time to setup and cure. Dont close the humidor for at least a couple of weeks. Then close it for a few hours and see if notice any smell. After it is completely done curing it should not smell anymore and you can re-season.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:28 AM   #5
MrOneEyedBoh
Hon.

Trading: (30)
MrOneEyedBoh will become famous soon enough

I would use the aquarium kind for making fish tanks. Or even get some wax old people use for their ears, like when they go swimming. That would be nice IMO. I would roll out long beads and just press it in the areas needed.
MrOneEyedBoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:18 AM   #6
dogface_313

Well, I used regular old Silicone that I purchased from Home Depot. Sealed the top, and the hygro hole like I said. Noticeable difference when I allow the lid to close on its own it does not just slam shut.

The reason I did this was because summer months my humi held a steady 65-67%. Now come winter the RH has dropped below 60%. I do not like my smokes that dry, burn to fast/to hot/ and I don't like the flavors at that point. I am using 8 Oz of Scott's beads but the seal is to unreliable for that to even matter.

I'm thinking I may just need to scarp this humi all together and spend the money on quality. Like everyone says, why spend the money on good smokes but not on assuring they stay healthy? Anyone have any suggestions for a good quality 100-150 count Humi(or maybe even bigger)? One of my other problems, is that I am using the $7 digital Hygro from walmart. I did the salt test with 3 of them, same container, same amount of time, and variations of 18% on RH. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good reliable Hyrgro?
Old 01-11-2010, 09:30 AM   #7
CasaDooley
Herf Crew of 2

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (41)
HUpmann Navy (Disabled Vet)
CasaDooley has a spectacular aura aboutCasaDooley has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogface_313 View Post
Well, I used regular old Silicone that I purchased from Home Depot. Sealed the top, and the hygro hole like I said. Noticeable difference when I allow the lid to close on its own it does not just slam shut.

The reason I did this was because summer months my humi held a steady 65-67%. Now come winter the RH has dropped below 60%. I do not like my smokes that dry, burn to fast/to hot/ and I don't like the flavors at that point. I am using 8 Oz of Scott's beads but the seal is to unreliable for that to even matter.

I'm thinking I may just need to scarp this humi all together and spend the money on quality. Like everyone says, why spend the money on good smokes but not on assuring they stay healthy? Anyone have any suggestions for a good quality 100-150 count Humi(or maybe even bigger)? One of my other problems, is that I am using the $7 digital Hygro from walmart. I did the salt test with 3 of them, same container, same amount of time, and variations of 18% on RH. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good reliable Hyrgro?
120 qt Coleman cooler, 1# of 65% beads and then save up for a good cabinet humidor!
Old 01-11-2010, 10:00 AM   #8
LooseCard
not wrapped too tight....

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
RyJ
LooseCard will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogface_313 View Post

Your Humi will be fine. Don't panick so much.
Just give the Silicone time to cure, and you'll be back at it. Now, you have the cooler as your 'main' storage, and your Humi can be for the 'front line' for those that going to be smoked soon. this will allow the cooler smokes to rest, and you will still have some handy for your ready-need smoking pleasure.

Can you tune the Hygrometer? I know Radio Shack sells them for about $20, which isn't bad. I'm just suprised at one being 18 points off!
Old 01-11-2010, 12:19 PM   #9
dogface_313

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseCard View Post
Your Humi will be fine. Don't panick so much.
Just give the Silicone time to cure, and you'll be back at it. Now, you have the cooler as your 'main' storage, and your Humi can be for the 'front line' for those that going to be smoked soon. this will allow the cooler smokes to rest, and you will still have some handy for your ready-need smoking pleasure.

Can you tune the Hygrometer? I know Radio Shack sells them for about $20, which isn't bad. I'm just suprised at one being 18 points off!
Yeah, that is what I am leaning towards. Use cooler for the most part, 10-20 smokes in the on deck circle(humi).