Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 06:45 AM   #1
WaxingMoon
Humidor Builder

First Name: Ed
Trading: (3)
Army (Served With Honor)
WaxingMoon will become famous soon enoughWaxingMoon will become famous soon enough
Default This Ought to Be Interesting

I visited a fellow woodworker in Kentucky end of last August... He was very generous when he gave me these two chunks of Wormy American Chestnut.

Some of you may not know that this wood has been extinct since the early 1940's - due to blight, which wiped out the species..... But, before that happened, Chestnut was the go to wood to build just about everything.... That's why barn wood can hold some value.... because chances are, an old barn was made out of Chestnut....

Needless to say, the wood my buddy gave me is at least 60, if not 70 years old already.... It is a tad fragile, but not too bad... but, there were several knot holes, where the knots had shrunk up and fell out... and the surrounding wood was not very sound.... So, I taped the bottom of the nail & knot holes and filled 'em up with epoxy.... ought to strengthen up the wood, and help keep the integrity of what it once was.... An old piece of barnwood... I've worked this stuff before and it turns out looking great!

I made this display case & picture frames out of Wormy American Chestnut..... Should make a great looking humidor!

Old 12-27-2009, 06:52 AM   #2
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This Ought to Be Interesting

I made this out of some really old wormy chestnut, and it turned out awesome.
It's just a little guy.

Last edited by icehog3; 12-27-2009 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Edited link out.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:55 AM   #3
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the pics cause the link sucked, and I thought you guys might like to see it...

Old 12-27-2009, 11:56 AM   #4
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Old 12-27-2009, 11:58 AM   #5
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

The beads are permanent HCM (shilala beads) and worked right into the thing on the left of the lid.
You just stick it in your big humi, it'll recharge the beads and condition it, and voila.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:36 PM   #6
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Very nice, Scott!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Closed Thread