Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-29-2009, 10:20 PM   #261
TanithT
Herfer Grrrrl

First Name: Tanith
Trading: (26)
HdM
TanithT will become famous soon enoughTanithT will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Ask The Rabbi!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
As for a Gentile hyphen the word or not, I do not get upset, but I believe it would be frown upon since it is still the word of G-d.
I would certainly not want to throw anyone's holy book on the floor, whether it be the Bible or the Bhagavad Gita. But is the average Jew likely to feel that I am being directly disrespectful to them if I write out the "g-word"? If so, I can try to remember not to do that during a conversation with a Jewish person.
TanithT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:12 AM   #262
mi2az

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanithT View Post
I would certainly not want to throw anyone's holy book on the floor, whether it be the Bible or the Bhagavad Gita. But is the average Jew likely to feel that I am being directly disrespectful to them if I write out the "g-word"? If so, I can try to remember not to do that during a conversation with a Jewish person.

No, it would not be insulting to the average Jew, I am sure there would be some, a small group but the average Jew no. American Jews are pretty secular and would not care what you would do on your dime.

But if you write something or talk on something and your audience are knowledgeable religious Jews, then yes.

I know you would not throw the Bible on the ground, but would you lay on the ground using the floor as a table reading the bible ? That is a no-no in Judaism, It is not even suppose to touch the floor. If it does, we kiss the bible and put it back on the table if it falls to the floor.

Me sitting in front of my computer on the Shabbot would insult religious Jews here even in America since I am doing what is called "Work" typing away on the computer only because I am a Jew. I am not even suppose to do any form of commerce or carry money. That's why Jews DO NOT pass around a collection plate during religious services and there is a membership fee to join a Synagogue/Temple . Also, that is why real Religious Jews walk to Synagogue on Shabbot and not drive a car.

Its ok if your not a Jew since very strict Jews hire Shabbos Goys to do certain tasks on the Sabbath like turning on/off electrical lights in the synagogue.

A Goy is the Hebrew word for Gentile which only means Persons of other nations or non-Jews.

I hope that's not too much information for you. I can get off track sometimes.

Last edited by mi2az; 05-30-2009 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:18 AM   #263
Bruins Fan
Hooper drives the boat.

First Name: John
Trading: (0)
RyJ
Bruins Fan will become famous soon enoughBruins Fan will become famous soon enough

Shabbos Goys, that was me when I was a kid, I lived next door to a Synagogue with a lot of Jewish family's in the neighborhood.
I used to get .50 from the Rabbi, he used to leave the coins on his desk for me.
Once in a while on the High Holy holidays when a lot of people were around some of the men would slip me dollar bills.
I used to do most of the neighborhood, one old lady used to give me apples to turn her gas off and on, another would send me to the chicken house to get chickens the day the rabbi killed them, I didn't like that job.
On a good week I could make $2.00 the year was 1959-60.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:22 AM   #264
TanithT
Herfer Grrrrl

First Name: Tanith
Trading: (26)
HdM
TanithT will become famous soon enoughTanithT will become famous soon enough

Quote:
if you write something or talk on something and your audience are knowledgeable religious Jews, then yes.
Thank you, I will keep that in mind in this thread.

Quote:
I know you would not throw the Bible on the ground, but would you lay on the ground using the floor as a table reading the bible ? That is a no-no in Judaism, It is not even suppose to touch the floor.
I do not own a Bible, though I have read it (and many other religious works) as a cultural and historical reference. Putting any book on the floor would not occur to me, whether or not it was considered sacred by a particular cultural group. The floor is not the place for books.

As to the oh-so-casual Bible readers you mentioned who did think that the floor was the place for books, I suspect that they may have good intent, but completely lack any idea that the printed message of their religion should be treated as an icon. Perhaps they are focusing on the message itself and ignoring the medium, which to them is perishable and disposable and not of importance?

Quote:
Also, that is why real Religious Jews walk to Synagogue on Shabbot and not drive a car.
What would a religious Jew do if they did not live within walking distance of a Synagogue?

Quote:
I hope that's not too much information for you. I can get off track sometimes.
Thank you, your time is appreciated!
TanithT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:28 AM   #265
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
What would a religious Jew do if they did not live within walking distance of a Synagogue?
Most Religious Jews choose homes specifically based on distance from Shul (synagogue). It's one of the major factors in buying their homes.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:32 AM   #266
thebandit23

Rabbi, you've elaborated on the afterlife, and how the worst of the worst would have to be cleansed for no more than 11 months. Does this happen for everyone, or are there some exceptions? For example, my best friend is Jewish, and he mentioned that some people are considered so horrible that their souls are essentially destroyed. i.e. Hitler. Can you elaborate a bit on this?
Old 05-31-2009, 12:39 AM   #267
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

First Name: Tattejuaje
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
TomHagen will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGD. View Post
After reading every single post - I must say that I have found this thread to be both entertaining and informative at the same time.

So . . . I have a few questions I have not seen answered:

01. How long have you been a Rabbi?
5 1/2 years
02. Was there some defining moment or event in your life that led you to becoming a Rabbi.
There is a post above with the long-short of my journey to becoming more observant and eventually a Rabbi. As a child I always had a desire to do the "best"/"highest" thing/occupation with my life sooo...
03. I love your wit and humor . . . was being a stand up comedian ever an option?

Yes, as a matter of fact. At career day in 4th grade we had to design a t-shirt with our career of choice and I chose Comedian, and drew a squiggly funny face with a mic and a tie (a la Rodney Dangerfield) My brother in law (also a Rabbi) is studying comedy in the Groundlings.
Ron
I am glad you enjoy the thread.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:44 AM   #268
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
My family as long as is known, after immigrating to the US has been Christian. Yet my Great Great Grandfather Jacob Bez and his wife Mimi immigrated here from Germany during the time of the first Jewish persecution by the Kaiser. The one picture of him we have he looks very much like the Rabbi on page 2 of this thread. It has always been thought he was Jewish. I am descended from him through a complete female lineage. As I understand it then that would mean I am considered a Jew, correct?

Is there any Jewish registries or libraries to verify he and his family were indeed Jewish?

And if so should I be looking for a nice Jewish girl to marry? And if not verified will my memory be good enough for a Jewish mother?

And if I did find a nice Jewish girl would I need to practice Judaism too? I was raised Christian and believe and hold my faith as a core of myself so I don't think I could just change my faith for love.

If your mother is Jewish, you are Jewish. But, your mom's, mom's, mom's, mom's mom etc. etc. has to be Jewish. If that is the case a person is Jewish, and there is nothing a person can do to change that regardless of personal choice, circumstance, feeling etc.

There is a good website that one can trace their Jewish geneology through. Google it.

yes. a Jewish man should marry a Jewish girl, and vice versa.

yes. a Jew should practice Judaism according to the Torah. It might not be changing one's faith for love, but changing to be faithful to oneself.
(if in fact you are Jewish)
Old 05-31-2009, 12:45 AM   #269
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
I'm having this problem too, just the other way around. (I'm Jewish, she is a Christian)
oy!
Old 05-31-2009, 12:57 AM   #270
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
I have a question. In the Torah, it states "Don't boil a kid in it's mothers milk", What does this have to do with a cheese burger ?

Why can't Jews eat chicken and drink milk, chickens don't produce milk but eggs are parve ?

Also, why is the front end of the cow Kosher and not the back end, they both have blood cells and you can't drain 100% of the blood from animals ?

Animal sacrafices during second temple period, didn' t the levi's and Choeniam eat the whole animal, backend included ? I don't think they surgicaly removed the veins from the animal in order to make it Kosher. So what happens if you ate a vein from the front end of the animal ?
Good questions.

First, any admixture of milk and meat is prohibited. The circumstances under which it comes together, used or eaten affects the level of trangression and the level of prohibition. It is very extensive. You can refer to the Chochmat Adam book on the topic for more depth. A Cheeseburger is definitely prohibited to cook, use for benefit or consume. Cooking cheese on top of meat is EXACTLY what the Torah says is prohibited.

The prohibition of chicken or fowl with milk is a decree of the Rabbi's due to the pervasive substitution of Fowl for Meat, and the confusion that ensues. This is a relatively overly-simplyfied answer, but it will have to suffice for the space.

The prohibition of eating the back end of the animal refers to the Gid haneshek - the vein that runs the entire back end of the animal that is surrounded by layers of fat, which is prohibited since Yaakov wrestled with the Malach. The fats are also prohibited and the skill and tradition on how to remove the vein (along with the fats) has been in dispute and lost to some degree, so we do not eat it. Nothing to do with the blood.

Only the back vein that runs down the hind legs is prohibited, and yes they were menaker the veins approprieately.

Due to spacial concerns, I encourage you to read and study on your own starting with the aforementioned book on Kosher Laws. My answering you in this space ("standing on one foot") is hardly sufficient and is not considered valid, responsible inquiry on your part. So get out there and learn something!!
Old 05-31-2009, 12:59 AM   #271
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAl View Post
Sorry for the repeated question. I admire your humor and appreciate your answers.
Glad you enjoy!!
Old 05-31-2009, 01:01 AM   #272
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
Rabbi, is it considered wrong or insulting for non-Jews to spell out the name of G-d without using the hyphen? Or is this a stricture only for Jews, like keeping kosher?
Good question. It is respectful for all to do so, though not necessarily a prohibition, as long as G-d is referred to with dignity, which is definitely a Mitzvah for all.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:07 AM   #273
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
I can answer this one.

G-d's name is Holy so we dare not write it out. If you were to have journals, papers, books with it spelled out, as a praticing Jew, you would need to bury the articles with the name of G-d with a Jewish person when they die, you do not throw the name of HaShem in the garbage or shed them in the paper shreader.

We also do not speak his name, like HaShem Translates to "The Name" but is meant for G-d.

So, putting the hyphen is to give great respect as not to wipe/delete/blot out his name in case we need to dispose of the papers it is written on.
Sorry but only some what you say is true.

One would not have to bury words unless written in the holy-tongue, Hebrew. They are not buried with people when they die. They are merely buried in/near a cemetery.

The hypenation is merely a sign of respect and care when using G-d's Name in any form.

Just trying not propogate more myth - we're here to set the record straight and add some clarity!
Old 05-31-2009, 01:08 AM   #274
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozero View Post
THANKS! I was very close, I thought the last word was alak. Live and learn!
Great! Glad I could help!
Old 05-31-2009, 01:09 AM   #275
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
Thanks for that answer. Which raises two more questions. One, how is that considered to apply to electrons on a screen? And two, is it considered insulting to people of the Jewish faith if a non-Jew writes the word "G-d" in what is for them a normal way, without the hyphen?
I hope I cleared up the misrepresentations in the post, that would answer these questions. That's why I get paid the "big-bucks" as a Rabbi.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:12 AM   #276
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins Fan View Post
Shabbos Goys, that was me when I was a kid, I lived next door to a Synagogue with a lot of Jewish family's in the neighborhood.
I used to get .50 from the Rabbi, he used to leave the coins on his desk for me.
Once in a while on the High Holy holidays when a lot of people were around some of the men would slip me dollar bills.
I used to do most of the neighborhood, one old lady used to give me apples to turn her gas off and on, another would send me to the chicken house to get chickens the day the rabbi killed them, I didn't like that job.
On a good week I could make $2.00 the year was 1959-60.
Thanks for your help bro!
Old 05-31-2009, 01:14 AM   #277
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebandit23 View Post
Rabbi, you've elaborated on the afterlife, and how the worst of the worst would have to be cleansed for no more than 11 months. Does this happen for everyone, or are there some exceptions? For example, my best friend is Jewish, and he mentioned that some people are considered so horrible that their souls are essentially destroyed. i.e. Hitler. Can you elaborate a bit on this?
Non-Jews who observe the Noahide laws are considered righteous among the nations and have a portion in the "world to come".

Ps. correction of 12 months for the "worst of the worst"
Old 05-31-2009, 01:34 AM   #278
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

whew! It's hard to return from Shabbos and YomTov to so much (fun) work

ps. I like the new Illusione mj12.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:22 AM   #279
mash
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (2)
mash is on a distinguished road

Thanks for this thread Rabbi. I have more of a comment than a question if that's OK.
I went to Hebrew day school (Talmud Torah) until high school in Canada. Our Hebrew Teachers were Israeli, the principals were generally American Rabbis.
We had one principal who was South African. One day I got sent to his office for lighting a firecracker in class. He told me that my punishment would be to research Apartheid and write an essay on it. This was in the early 1970's. Even at the time, I thought that was pretty cool. This was very progressive and thoughtful compared to all the other punishments I'd gotten. In those days, nobody knew what Apartheid was here.
Funny the things that you remember.
mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:32 AM   #280
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash View Post
Thanks for this thread Rabbi. I have more of a comment than a question if that's OK.
I went to Hebrew day school (Talmud Torah) until high school in Canada. Our Hebrew Teachers were Israeli, the principals were generally American Rabbis.
We had one principal who was South African. One day I got sent to his office for lighting a firecracker in class. He told me that my punishment would be to research Apartheid and write an essay on it. This was in the early 1970's. Even at the time, I thought that was pretty cool. This was very progressive and thoughtful compared to all the other punishments I'd gotten. In those days, nobody knew what Apartheid was here.
Funny the things that you remember.
very nice recollection... keep doing mitzvos!!