Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 04-02-2010, 10:01 AM   #1
danreeve
Feeling at Home

First Name: Dan
Trading: (2)
danreeve has a spectacular aura aboutdanreeve has a spectacular aura about
Default 601 Blue

Tonight's cigar was given to me by Eddie Ortega (check his blog here), co-owner of EO cigars and one of the men behind this particular cigar. I had the privilege to meet him a few weeks back at a local cigar event (posted here). The 601 Blue is another Don Pepin-constructed cigar made in Esteli and, if it's like most other Pepin-made sticks, I'm sure the construction is fantastic. I've smoked a lot of the Murcielago cigar from EO, but haven't had many experiences with the 601 line. Tonight marked my first 601 Blue, so let's see how it went.

Specifics
Vitola: Robusto
Length: 5.2
Ring Gauge: 52
Wrapper: Nicaraguan Habano Maduro
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua
Price: $7.25 (when bought in boxes of 20)
Smoking Location: My back deck
Beverage: water

Pre-Light

My 601 Blue cigar was an attractive cigar. The chocolaty brown wrapper was pretty consistent, aside from a few lighter spots close to the head and one prominent vein. The band that 601 uses on the stick really stands out with it's bright colors and and makes the cigar eye catching. Pinching the stick from head to foot, it had no soft spots and was tightly packed. The pre-lit aroma was sweet tobacco and almost barnyard-y, especially closer to the open foot. Once clipped, the pre-lit draw was free and tasted strongly like earthy, sweet tobacco.

First Third

After an easy, even torching of the foot, the 601 Blue opened up with strong, thick, dense smoke. The draw was perfect and the burn excellent. The initial flavors were also very strong and tasted of roasted nuts, mixed with strong flavors of cocoa on the finish. Although the smoke was very thick and the flavors very strong, the cigar felt clean on my palate and never overwhelming. The ash was tight and held on for over an inch and a half. The body was medium to medium-full.

Second Third

The second third of my 601 Blue was similar to the first third in smoke volume and strength, but a new flavor had emerged. I was still tasting the roasted nuts and the cocoa, but now I was also starting to get some coffee flavors added into the mix. One thing worth mentioning was a difference in the smoke: the texture now felt a little more creamy, where as in the first third, it was a little dry. Overall, this cigar became more complex and even more enjoyable. The burn was razor sharp and the ash was one of the strongest I've seen in awhile.

Final Third and Final Thoughts

The final third of my 601 Blue threw me for a bit of a loop. The strength of the cigar picked up into the full range and the flavors completely switched up on me. All of the roasted nut/cocoa flavors had dissipated and I was now tasting lots of coffee and leather, which I didn't see coming. The smoke volume was still large and the burn was as perfect as you can get. The stick did get a little hot towards the end, but that could have been due to the wind picking up outside forcing the cigar to burn faster.

My final impression of the 601 Blue from EO Cigars? This is a great cigar. The flavors were strong and, although I preferred the first and second thirds over the final third, the little switch up at the end made this experience even more interesting. Enough good cannot be said about the construction of this stick. I never had to touch flame to this cigar after the initial lighting and only had to ash the stick twice before nubbing it. I would recommend this cigar to anyone who has time to sit back, relax, and really experience what a strong, flavorful smoke brings to the table.

Would I buy it again? I will most certainly buy this cigar again.

Would I buy a box? $150ish a box it is out of my budget, but I would gladly do a five pack or a split with another BOTL.

for more pictures please visit http://crookedburn.blogspot.com/

Dan
Old 04-02-2010, 10:07 AM   #2
homerjay19
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jeremy
Trading: (10)
Partagas
homerjay19 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 601 Blue

Nice review, thanks! It does look tasty!
homerjay19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:08 AM   #3
cobra03
Adult Babysitter

First Name: Scott
Trading: (15)
Partagas
cobra03 will become famous soon enoughcobra03 will become famous soon enough

Great review. I dont know how i havent tried one of these yet. I have heard alot of good things. I'll put them on my "to do" list.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:18 AM   #4
issues
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tony
Trading: (8)
VR
issues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the rough

Nice review Dan as always.

I love the 601 Blue. You can find it for around 120 a box shipped if you shop around which isn't too bad although I wish it came with more than 20 sticks.
issues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:21 AM   #5
danreeve
Feeling at Home

thanks for the heads up. I was just thinking, I'd like to smoke another one of these tonight! I have seen them on the devil site before...

side note: is the Green really A lot stronger than the Blue?

If so I fear the Green.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:24 AM   #6
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review...thanks for sharing. These are a staple in my humi, always keep some on hand.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:29 AM   #7
BFallehy
Feeling at Home

First Name: Brian
Trading: (12)
RA
BFallehy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by danreeve View Post
side note: is the Green really A lot stronger than the Blue?

If so I fear the Green.
I didn't find the Green to be that much stronger, it was a little but not too much. However I did find the flavors in the Green to be alot more to my liking, but then again I didn't care much for the Blue and absolutly love the Green. Guess I am just weird though.

And I loved the review, looking forward to future reviews.
BFallehy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:00 AM   #8
duckmanco
Can't stop whats coming

Location: that forsaken stretch of wood they call Whiskey Grove
duckmanco is on a distinguished road

the 601 blue is one of my favorite blends, and these can be found for MUCH cheaper than 7 a stick by the box, for one lilbrown.com has great prices on boxes.

Excellent cigars that taste richer than most, always draw and burn perfectly and IMO, even though I rarely do, this is one smoke I would pay normal retail for. Your review is spot on.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:09 AM   #9
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Nice review. I love these things!
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:29 PM   #10
issues
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tony
Trading: (8)
VR
issues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmanco View Post
the 601 blue is one of my favorite blends, and these can be found for MUCH cheaper than 7 a stick by the box, for one lilbrown.com has great prices on boxes.

Excellent cigars that taste richer than most, always draw and burn perfectly and IMO, even though I rarely do, this is one smoke I would pay normal retail for. Your review is spot on.
You are correct, lilbrown does have amazing prices on these!

Around $111 shipped is a steal!
issues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:39 PM   #11
MortonMilo
Blowing smoke

First Name: R
MortonMilo has disabled reputation

I've got a couple in my humi, and the review motivated me to smoke one this afternoon!
MortonMilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:04 PM   #12
mikey burr
make em say UUUGGGHHHH!!!

First Name: mike
Trading: (0)
Bolivar
mikey burr has disabled reputation

one of my fav 601s, its alike a poor mans padron Anni...
Old 04-02-2010, 02:03 PM   #13
darkninja67

Great review. I just bought my first 601 Blue today. Need to try it out. $111 a box is pretty sweet. They go for $113 a box at cp when they are in stock.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:47 PM   #14
sofaman
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
sofaman is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the review EO puts out some great cigars
sofaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:40 PM   #15
Bruins Fan
Hooper drives the boat.

First Name: John
Trading: (0)
RyJ
Bruins Fan will become famous soon enoughBruins Fan will become famous soon enough

One of my favorite smokes
Old 04-02-2010, 06:00 PM   #16
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I've read this thread like four times today. Now I am comtemplating on picking up another box.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:38 PM   #17
danreeve
Feeling at Home

thanks for reading... I'm trying to pick out what to smoke tonight, and I want another one of these... but don't have any.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:06 PM   #18
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Damnit!!! Just ordered a box of the torpedos for $ 112.00 a box at Lilbrown.com (Thanks darkninja67 for the tip ).
Old 04-02-2010, 08:36 PM   #19
wolfandwhisky
Resident Whisky Addict

First Name: Matt
Trading: (4)
Cohiba
wolfandwhisky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFallehy View Post
I didn't find the Green to be that much stronger, it was a little but not too much. However I did find the flavors in the Green to be alot more to my liking, but then again I didn't care much for the Blue and absolutly love the Green. Guess I am just weird though.

And I loved the review, looking forward to future reviews.
I enjoyed the Blue, but thought the Green was much better. I just order the Reds and I'm sure the Blacks will follow...
wolfandwhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 05:28 AM   #20
darkninja67

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Damnit!!! Just ordered a box of the torpedos for $ 112.00 a box at Lilbrown.com (Thanks darkninja67 for the tip ).
The tip was from a post above mine. I was just agreeing with the price at that site. Too bad they suck for Padrons. Cigarplace.biz FTW