Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-25-2008, 08:37 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Taboo LR havana torpedo

I bought a sampler of the Taboo LR series and the first LR I decided to smoke was t he Havana torpedo with a nice dark wrapper with some pretty veins on it. The tip of the torpedo is longer and slimmer then of any other torpedo I smoked in the past. The aroma reminds me of dry wood, and when feeling the cigar I could not notice any hard or soft spots in the cigar. The predraw was hard though.

Due to the bad draw it was hard to distinguish the flavors very well. I could taste some leather, combined with sweetness. The leather slowly grows in strength and becomes creamy close to the 2 inch mark. Halfway I could taste a hint of chocolate, soon to be replaced by salty nuts. The last part of the cigar became more flavorful.

The draw was horrible; I felt I was sucking a ping pong ball through a pipe. It was hard work to get some smoke through the cigar, and that affected both the flavors and the amount of smoke produced, which was poor. I tried to solve the problem by cutting some more of the cigar, and that caused the wrapper to unwrap.

Would I buy this cigar again? I would love to give it another try and to review it again because I do believe that this cigar has potential, but the bad draw ruined it.

I posted this review on CS before and Rob offered to include another LR havana torpedo in my next order, what a great customer service
Don Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:18 PM   #2
MTB996
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (1)
Partagas
MTB996 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Taboo LR havana torpedo

I am smoking on right now - about half way through. Draw is on the tight side, but very acceptable to me. Plenty of smoke, straight burn. Great flavor - woody and a little leathery. So far, so good. Give it another shot, I am certainly digging it.
MTB996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 02:20 PM   #3
hoax

What you describe as leather tasted more like floral to me.

I enjoyed the cigar but I felt that it needed more "Pop". The flavor was a bit muted.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:29 PM   #4
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Interesting. I'm finishing up an LR havana Robusto (my first of any Taboo LR lines) and it's smoking very well. The flavor is very good. A citrus flavor. I can see where you'd say salty nuts too. I'd give this one (the robusto) a definite thumbs up.
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:22 AM   #5
Beer Doctor

I enjoyed this cigar. I didn't have any draw problems. The flavor that I kept tasting was cinnamon. I just had the LR maduro torpedo the other night and they tasted fairly similar. I'd be inclined to buy more if they were a little stronger. The SFO's I've had were strong enough but the flavor won't get me to buy more. Thanks for the review!