Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-10-2017, 08:45 AM   #1
Amusebouche
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Amusebouche is on a distinguished road
Default Cigar Advice

Hi,
I am quite new to Cigars and so I would greatly appreciate some advice and suggestions. I am looking for Non Cuban Cigars that fit the following Criteria and it would be wonderful if you can possibly help me.
I am looking for
Non-Cubans
Medium Strength or Medium/Low but not Medium/Full bodied
Woody Taste
Ring Gauge minimum 50
Length minimum 6inches
Torpedo or Pyramide [ I am flexible on this ]
If anyone can make any suggestions that would be so kind.
Amusebouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:56 AM   #2
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation
Default Re: Cigar Advice

Welcome to Cigar Asylum.

It is interesting that being quite new to cigars what you seek is quite specific and narrow in scope. There are many here who can probably offer you some suggestions but if you take the time to look around our forum, you'll find quite a lot of information as well.

Take a moment and post an introduction in the New Inmate forum. Tell us a bit about yourself. You'll find our membership quite welcoming.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:47 AM   #3
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Sounds like my ex wife, min 50 RG and at least 6" sadly fit the bill.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:16 AM   #4
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Welcome! What part of the world are you in? There are some very good cigar shops all over and if someone in your area can point you to one that may be the best choice for right now.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:19 AM   #5
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

CyB is the first thing that comes to mind.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:57 PM   #6
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I think Mark's suggestion would make it easier for our inmates to give some recommendations. What part of the world are you in?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 02:26 PM   #7
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

There are a number of retail cigar websites that let you search on some of your parameters. For example https://www.jrcigars.com/advanced-search
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 02:42 PM   #8
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
Welcome! What part of the world are you in? There are some very good cigar shops all over and if someone in your area can point you to one that may be the best choice for right now.
If you can get to a reputable shop, that's where I always suggest people start. If they have a good selection and, more importantly, knowledgeable staff it's best to start there. There are simply too many cigars out there in the world to be able to give a concise answer online. At a shop, you can walk around with the tobacconist and select a sample out of what they recommend, and use that to further narrow down (ex/ "I thought I liked big ring gauges but maybe I want something a little smaller", or "I had written off Niceraguans but I'm glad that guy had me try one, I want to go down that road a little more")

Once you have a better idea of what you like with a little more specifics, you can come back to a place like this and say, or example, "I had a Fuente 898 maduro that was good, but I wanted something slightly wider/longer, is there anything recommended that would be similar?"

I used to love introducing people to cigars back in the day, even if they just wanted to buy one for now but wanted to talk about other ones to try in the future. it's a good time, especially if you can smoke in the shop and narrow down your opinion while there
Old 03-10-2017, 06:54 PM   #9
Amusebouche
Just in from the Storm

Amusebouche is on a distinguished road

Thank you everyone for your replies. I live in a city in Northern Thailand and there is only 1 cigar shop and they only sell Cubans. I have been smoking for 6 months now and have now narrowed the taste and also the strength that I like. I have been buying mainly online. I have smoked mainly cubans and would like some recommendations for Non Cubans that have woody taste and are medium. this is most important for me.
Amusebouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:45 PM   #10
Ansatci6
Just in from the Storm

Ansatci6 is on a distinguished road

I am also confused about that.
Ansatci6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:49 PM   #11
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansatci6 View Post
I am also confused about that.
I bet you are, David Gordon.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:29 AM   #12
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough

The first "woody" NC torpedo that leaps to my mind is the Cuesta-Rey. It's a solid and consistent smoke (well-made by Ashton/Fuente), but not screamingly exciting.