Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-30-2009, 07:58 PM   #21
maxnmisty435
trying to find my way

First Name: Jason
Trading: (28)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
maxnmisty435 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Contractor hell? Do I have a 'F#$k with me' s

I hope I am not being a jerk here but was he the cheapest?

If so you got what you paid for. Sorry

I own my own Fencing bussiness and I see it everyday......Homeowner gets bids and goes with the cheapest. Then call me later to fix what the jag off that was cheaper screwed up. Of course It always costs more in the long run.

Get references!!!!! Do not call those people......go and see the work that was done. I know a few contractors that use family members as references.

One other thing to keep in mind with alot of people being laid off or fired, there are more "contractors" on the market. When these people get laid off from the factory they pick up a hammer, slap a sign on their truck and they are a contractor.

I hate that you are going through this. This gives all legitimate tradesman a bad name.
maxnmisty435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:34 PM   #22
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnmisty435 View Post
. . .

Get references!!!!! Do not call those people......go and see the work that was done. . . .

And don't just ask for, or settle for a couple two or three references. Ask for 6 to 10 of them - and they should be of the same type of work that you are having done.

When people ask me for references I always give them at least 8 and ask if they need more.

Also, insist on performance pay schedules. Every contract that I write (for the company I work for) is based on that.

I've been in the trades for over 30 years now - 16 years running my own business (VA Class A).

And I could write a book on the subject: from stupid ass contractors to stupid ass customers.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:37 PM   #23
kayak_rat
Cyclonic Bastard

First Name: Zack
Trading: (0)
Trinidad
kayak_rat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAlmeter View Post
I get to deal with them every day. Only another 50-60 years until retirement!
Beat me to it bud.......deal with them every day.

All I can say is document, document, document. I keep every email and log every phone call in my journal for each job. This sounds like overkill, but it is very usefull. Anything that I deal with on a job, I take 5 minutes to jot it down. This comes in handy when the "thats not what you said" is thrown out there. It also creates a timeline in case things are taken to court. I can almost guarantee most contractors do not keep records for every day stuff. This has been a life saver when we have had to go to arbitration.

Always prepare for the worst. Harsh way to look at it, but I am dealing with 5+ million dollar contracts on the low end. I recommend this whether it be a small home improvement or a large scale renovation.

Second, have a good lawyer on call. Contract law is different in every state, and as Max stated.....any joe blow can claim to be a pro. Again, seems like over kill and unnecessary, but can a price be put on piece of mind.

And for the record, I have dealt with contractors I wouldnt p*ss on if they were on fire and I have had contractors I contact when I know we have a large job coming up. There are good and bad....and for the most part, low bid is a bad idea.
kayak_rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:02 PM   #24
cort
◤◢◣◥

First Name: Gary
Trading: (41)
cort has disabled reputation

Need any electrical work done?

I'm your man.
cort is offline   Reply With Quote