Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 12-30-2010, 11:27 PM   #1
colinb913
Workin' at a Cigar Shop

First Name: Colin
Trading: (1)
Partagas
colinb913 is on a distinguished road
Default Quick Question about B&M's

As some of you know I am sure.. I am underage, about 9 Months till I reach the "golden age". But I wanted to run into my B&M tomorrow or monday (depending on when they're open).

Will they try and card me when I walk in the door? Or will I be ok to take a look around? I know a B&M my uncle took me to in Cleveland carded me the second I walked in, and I got the boot. Are all B&M's like this or just some? Either way it is worth the risk to drive out there. I was just wondering as to what to expect.

Please take it easy on the age topic, I know many of you frown upon me being here.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:37 PM   #2
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Quick Question about B&M's

It depends on the B&M. Some card once you walk in the door, some card when you try to purchase.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:38 PM   #3
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

I dunno man, if you think they are going to card you I wouldn't bother. I don't think age matters much on this topic. You can always order online where they don't card.......

Wait are we referring to 18 as the "golden age" or 21? Most B&M's require 21 as they often serve beer. But since tobacco is 18....eh.... More information is needed before I further comment.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:42 PM   #4
colinb913
Workin' at a Cigar Shop

Partagas

18 is the GA. I know my B&M doesn't serve alcohol because a friend of mine had gone in there and there is a coffee shop next door that has a glass wall you can see straight into the B&M through. Hell, you can even walk through a door to get to the B&M from the coffee shop. I am 17 right now, with a little goatee going, and haven't been carded when buying chew before. So I assume I might look a little over the age? I don't know.

My thoughts were to go straight to the counter and start chatting up whoever is working, drop a few cigar names, things like that, and maybe they won't think too much about it? I wasn't planning on a purchase, just to look around, and chat.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:45 PM   #5
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

i've never heard of anyone being carded at a b&m before trying to buy stuff, but clearly it happens. there's no set rule that i've ever heard
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:46 PM   #6
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

I don't want to step on toes or look like a D-Bag, BUT.....not directly related ....liquors stores don't ever card me, I know more about booze then anyone I've ever met working at one. They feel stupid asking for my ID.

Food for thought.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:47 PM   #7
colinb913
Workin' at a Cigar Shop

Partagas

Well yeah, but like I said, I wasn't planning on buying any cigars (too expensive there anyways).
Old 12-30-2010, 11:51 PM   #8
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb913 View Post
Well yeah, but like I said, I wasn't planning on buying any cigars (too expensive there anyways).
then what are you looking to do there?
Old 12-30-2010, 11:52 PM   #9
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
then what are you looking to do there?
i don't go to a car dealer to buy a car every time i walk on the lot
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:52 PM   #10
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Then I doubt they would bother you....Again it's illegal for you to buy them. You just being in there.......I doubt they will give much of a crap. Chances are they don't care much about their job anyways, it's not exactly a high paying job to work a register at a cigar shop. If the boss/owner is there....But really man what's the worst that could happen they tell you to GTFO?
Old 12-30-2010, 11:54 PM   #11
colinb913
Workin' at a Cigar Shop

Partagas

I was going for the atmosphere. They have a small area for people to smoke. Figured I could go chat it up, bull-**** with the locals. I don't know about smoking up there. Figured I would see how everything goes first before I thought about lighting one up.

Yeah, I guess all they could do is tell me to leave. Lol. It would be cool if I had a place to go and smoke and talk crap with some people. It gets lonely on the back deck or garage when no one else is smoking with me. Which is never. Haha
Old 12-30-2010, 11:56 PM   #12
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
i don't go to a car dealer to buy a car every time i walk on the lot
Cigars are very different than cars, Kev. He says it's too expensive there so he's not going to be buying any. I'm not quite sure what the point of that would be... picking them up and looking at them and putting them back? I dunno sounds like a waste of time to me. But hey, however you get your jollies is fine
Old 12-30-2010, 11:56 PM   #13
colinb913
Workin' at a Cigar Shop

Partagas

Read my above post Emjay, if that doesn't clear things up, let me know and I will try to help as much as I can.

Hell, once I am old enough I will buy one or two there every so often. I need a new cutter and lighter, so that might be something I could pick up when I am there, depending on what they have.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:57 PM   #14
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb913 View Post
I was going for the atmosphere. They have a small area for people to smoke. Figured I could go chat it up, bull-**** with the locals. I don't know about smoking up there. Figured I would see how everything goes first before I thought about lighting one up.

Yeah, I guess all they could do is tell me to leave. Lol. It would be cool if I had a place to go and smoke and talk crap with some people. It gets lonely on the back deck or garage when no one else is smoking with me. Which is never. Haha
Then I wish you luck, Man! Let us know how it goes.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:57 PM   #15
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Well, I doubt a B&M is going to like you going there and smoking with everyone and never buying anything. Usually they frown upon you doing that....smoking your own cigars that is.

If you can get away with buying one, they still even want you to smoke what you buy. Unless your B&M is very different than my few.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:59 PM   #16
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

call and ask. If you call first and explain that you are interested in cigars and just want to look around, then they can make a decision. Most B&Ms I have been to don't want underage people in the store since the owners view them as mainly there to shoplift. If you establish a connection before you go, your chances of getting the boot may drop. Just be sure that if you get the okay over the phone that you tell the shop who you are when you go in.

Chatting up the customers can be more dicey since it could be viewed as you looking for a source to buy you some sticks.

Your mileage may vary and all that.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:59 PM   #17
Thammy
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Tyler
Trading: (0)
Bolivar
Thammy is on a distinguished road

Meh it depends on the place. My local B & M seems to ask some days, not ask some others. Well, I have been going there for a long time so they know me by name. The first time I went to the store they did not ID me.(Right around I turned 18) It wasn't until a couple weeks of going that I got asked. It is a gamble really. I would say just wait it out. If they don't ID you and they get caught for it, it can have bad consquences for the store. Even though the chances are low, still.
Thammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:10 AM   #18
colinb913
Workin' at a Cigar Shop

Partagas

How would the store get in trouble if I am just in there looking?..

Ehh, I see what you mean now
Old 12-31-2010, 12:19 AM   #19
Drez
The Warden

First Name: Frank
Trading: (35)
Cohiba MarineCorps (Retired)
Drez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of light

I'll chime in.

It is illegal to buy tobacco under the age of 18 that is known.

However it is not illegal to be in a place that sells tobacco products as long as they sell other things like food or other consumer good (ie gas stations, mini marts, and other stores)

Same goes with alcohol

However when it is a specialty store like a b&m or liquor store it is presumed that you have to be a Certain age to buy any of the goods in that store. Therefore that is why underage people are not allowed in liquor stores.

If the shop owner allows you to come in I highly doubt he will allow you to smoke while you are at his place of business because if something happens or someone reports him to the ATF, police, or state he can and will have his permits pulled. Even if it doesn't go that far he could still have a bad rap around town and take away his business.

My .02 cents would be browse online and read up on things. Then make a wish list of things you know are cheap and easy to find at the b&m. Then once you turn 18 you can go buy a stick or two and socialize with the regulars and owner.

Just out of respect I would not go nor smoke in the b&m because you put yourself and the owner at risk that can easily be avoided.

I'm sorry to sound like the bearer of bad news but I'm just trying to tell you how i see it. 8 months goes by quick just wait it out buddy.
Drez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:24 AM   #20
colinb913
Workin' at a Cigar Shop

Partagas

Alright, well what if I were to go to the BM just to buy say a new cutter? I mean, like I said I haven't been carded when buying chew before, so apparently I seem over-age. If no one asked me how old I was if I did smoke, how would anyone think to report them?