Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 06-29-2011, 02:35 PM   #1
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all
Default Edgestar 28 bottle & Humidity

New to the whole Edgestar/Vino thing.

I'm still struggling with the Coolidor to edgestar transition. Basically the edgestar holds temperature good. Not humidity though. It's a 28 bottle and I have 2 pounds of beads in it. More than enough. It's at 56 RH/66 temperature right now.

So I tossed in 2 shotglasses of distilled water, a 8oz rocks glass and 4 69 RH boveda packs placed all around the edgestar. Also I put an Oust fan in there for good measure.

I did just recharge the beads as well. So there's really no reason it shouldn't be 65 RH.

It is still at 56-59 RH. I'm not sure why. Suggestions?

I'm waiting on shelves for it, so right now it's just boxes and the Edgestar. No shelves or drawers.

I see that drip spout in the back does occasionally drip a drop or two of water, do I plug it up? Where will the water go if I plug it?
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
kickerb

Default Re: Edgestar 28 bottle & Humidity

I have no experience with these, but I can offer up the first thing that came to my mind.

-Is the door getting a good seal?
Old 06-29-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerb View Post
I have no experience with these, but I can offer up the first thing that came to my mind.

-Is the door getting a good seal?
I thought about that too, here's the thing it's holding temperature.

It's in a 74 degree room, the edgestar is at 65 degrees.

I think the temperature will go down too as the days go on because all the cigars are at ~70 degrees. The edgestar is set to about 62-63 degrees. So it is fighting the higher temperature of the cigars. It's full of cigar too, so it's got a lot to fight.

Before anyone mentions the hygro...it's good. I had it in the coolidor reading 65 RH and 70 degrees. Which is correct.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:37 PM   #4
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

Bill check this link out. It has some great info.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...highlight=vino
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:47 PM   #5
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

So apparently you cannot just store boxes on the bottom? Is this long term or what? I swear I've seen edgestars and vinos without shelves and just boxes. I'll probably still do it till the shelves come in. 7-14 days shouldn't cause any problems.

Still not sure that thread addresses a full issue on humidity....hmmm there's yet another link that says plugging it can solve humidity issues.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:24 PM   #6
Sherlockholms

do you have it plugged?
Old 06-29-2011, 04:25 PM   #7
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlockholms View Post
do you have it plugged?
I was hesitant to do this as there was water in the back tray. I just plugged it now.

I also put in one of the metal shelves to keep the boxes off the floor of the edgestar.

We'll see what happens.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:29 PM   #8
Sherlockholms

I think that will help, I assume its thermoelectric. Plugging the hole will help allot with keeping RH. I have read of people storing boxes on the bottom and the condensation builds up and soaks the boxes. If you put a tray of beads or a bag of beads over the hole it will help to catch some of the moisture.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:32 PM   #9
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Yeah I put one metal shelf in it for the time being to elevate all of my boxes. So the bottoms got room and there is a 1 lb bag of beads on the bottom.

There is also a 1 lb bag on the top of all my boxes.

The drains plugged with a piece of scotch tape over the hole.

It should be interesting to see if it holds RH now.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:47 PM   #10
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about

I have 2 Vinotemp 28s. Plugged the drain holes (no condensation problems ever), made some Spanish Cedar shelves, and I use a Cigar Oasis in both of them. Temp and RH are almost always around 68 degrees and 62-65% RH. I'm not a fan of beads.

It's a fun project, but it does take quite a bit of tweaking and playing around with stuff. But...I guess that's part of the fun. It's like a science fair project for an adult.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:53 PM   #11
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Yeah I'm looking to keep mine at 62-64 RH and 64-65 degrees. Hopefully it all works itself out.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:00 PM   #12
borndead1

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Yeah I'm looking to keep mine at 62-64 RH and 64-65 degrees. Hopefully it all works itself out.
At that temp your unit will run a lot. I tried 65* for a while and the fan hardly ever shut off. Are you trying to prevent beetle eggs from hatching? I wanted the temp low to combat beetles. But now I just freeze every cigar I buy and set the vino to kick on at 70*. Been about 3 yrs now and no beetle problems.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:08 PM   #13
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Never had beetle problems, I don't ever suspect I will. I'm fine with it running all the time.

Thing is it won't be plugged in for probably 6-8 months out of the year. Just the 4-6 months when it's warm.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:11 PM   #14
borndead1

Partagas

Ahh, I see. Well, have fun with it man. It's definitely a trial and error project.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:12 PM   #15
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by borndead1 View Post
Ahh, I see. Well, have fun with it man. It's definitely a trial and error project.
I've already noticed I'm about to rip my hair out already. Coolidors are so much simpler, if only there was an easy way to control temperature in them.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:48 PM   #16
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

Just send your cigars to me, I'll keep them in my vinotemp. My basement is usually around 62-67 degrees.
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:02 PM   #17
big a
Feeling at Home

Trading: (42)
RyJ
big a will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
I've already noticed I'm about to rip my hair out already. Coolidors are so much simpler, if only there was an easy way to control temperature in them.
I didn't have any problem with mine as i just did what the thread said. I just used tape to close up the plug and let it go. What % of it is filled up with boxes? Mine did get much easier to maintain the more shelves, boxes and cigars i had in it. The bottom gap i filled up with boxes that i broke and threw under there for some extra cedar to help with the humidity. I did use a sponge when seasoning it rather than a shoot glass as i find that works better.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:10 PM   #18
Drez
The Warden

First Name: Frank
Trading: (35)
Cohiba MarineCorps (Retired)
Drez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of light

Bill like i told you. Mine with the drain plug taped up would not rise above 58%. After I removed the tape it and added some water it has gone up to 65% and holding steady.

Like mentioned it trial and error.

They aren't going to multiply....burn that b!tch!
Drez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:33 PM   #19
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by big a View Post
I didn't have any problem with mine as i just did what the thread said. I just used tape to close up the plug and let it go. What % of it is filled up with boxes? Mine did get much easier to maintain the more shelves, boxes and cigars i had in it. The bottom gap i filled up with boxes that i broke and threw under there for some extra cedar to help with the humidity. I did use a sponge when seasoning it rather than a shoot glass as i find that works better.
100% filled with boxes.

Yes I figured it out, Frank took a bit.

Seems plugging the drain was all I had to do, my question is will there be water now inside the unit?

Plugged in at 62-65 degrees.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:44 PM   #20
Drez
The Warden

First Name: Frank
Trading: (35)
Cohiba MarineCorps (Retired)
Drez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of light

Run a piece of clear tape down to a little container to collect the water.

That's how I had it so that it doesn't collect on the bottom of the unit.

They aren't going to multiply....burn that b!tch!
Drez is offline   Reply With Quote