Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 03-14-2014, 12:34 PM   #1
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Boveda Packs Regeneration

I use a lot of 65% Boveda packs. I often find them rock hard among "stuff".
A couple weeks ago I found two, and I'd always guessed I could soak them in water to juice them up again, so I tried it.
It works just fine. No need for distilled water because dissolved solids can't pass through the membrane, anyways. There's just salt solutions in them to begin with, so there's no "right amount of water" to worry about, either. It's pretty awesome.

Awhile back I looked around to see if I could find some semi-permeable membrane of some sort to make big Boveda packs for my stuff. I never did leg it out, I got drawed off. I need to get back to that.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:38 PM   #2
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all
Default Re: Boveda Packs Regeneration

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Awhile back I looked around to see if I could find some semi-permeable membrane of some sort to make big Boveda packs for my stuff. I never did leg it out, I got drawed off. I need to get back to that.
Please do, I'll be your test subject, you dont even have to pay me very much
Old 03-14-2014, 12:48 PM   #3
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

I tried it also, but it seemed to turn the membrane yellow and make it very weak. I was afraid of it busting and ruining stogies.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:50 PM   #4
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

I recharge my Boveda packs all the time. I just put them in a tupperware with a cup of water such that they don't get wet, and close it up. In a week, charged packs.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:56 PM   #5
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

I've been recharging the boveda packs for years using basically the same method as Darren described, put them in a tupperware with a wet sponge and seal it up for a while.

I did recently toss one of the small wet-nap ones into a container of water to see what would happen, the labels/outer "paper" fell off within 24 hours, then it eventually expanded to about the size of a golf ball.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:57 PM   #6
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I just went and looked some more, I can't find any kind of membrane aside from dialysis stuff. Latex might work, dunno. I suppose I'll have to go search permeability by size.
It's not fun so far. I bet that's why I stopped looking before.

These big packs have been soaking for a couple weeks, at least. They haven't degraded a lick.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:02 PM   #7
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

I dunno Scott. I used RO water rather than tap, but I can't see that making a difference. Maybe the two sizes use different materials for the outer layer? This was one of the white colored packs if that helps any.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:36 PM   #8
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
I recharge my Boveda packs all the time. I just put them in a tupperware with a cup of water such that they don't get wet, and close it up. In a week, charged packs.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:41 PM   #9
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
I dunno Scott. I used RO water rather than tap, but I can't see that making a difference. Maybe the two sizes use different materials for the outer layer? This was one of the white colored packs if that helps any.
No clue at all. I bet you're right, though. The white ones seem different. I have the brown paper ones.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:49 PM   #10
EricF
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Eric
Trading: (116)
RA
EricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
^^^This^^^
Old 03-14-2014, 06:06 PM   #11
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

I figured out what I can use to make packs. Now I just have to find some and this is a party. I'm looking forward to messing around with it. I already tested umpteen saturated salt solutions for use with SAP, but it all sucks cause the salt crawls all over. The only way to hold it in is pvc.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:13 PM   #12
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Take a look at the humi bags on this page. I just got some of these in a shipment from Atlantic. It's apparently what you want, built into a plastic bag.

http://www.sikarlan.com/OTHERS.htm
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:21 AM   #13
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
No clue at all. I bet you're right, though. The white ones seem different. I have the brown paper ones.
Here are some photos. If there is anything on it that you want examined or a closer shot of, LMK.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wDSCN2541.jpg (45.1 KB, 531 views)
File Type: jpg wDSCN2544.jpg (33.5 KB, 475 views)
Old 03-15-2014, 10:07 AM   #14
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Here are some photos. If there is anything on it that you want examined or a closer shot of, LMK.
Adam, in that state, do they still maintain their set rh?
Old 03-15-2014, 10:30 AM   #15
mk05
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
mk05 will become famous soon enough

I just dunk the Boveda in water until it gets squishy again. Must have done it at least 5 times per bag. Works better with bigger ones.
mk05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:53 AM   #16
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Adam, in that state, do they still maintain their set rh?
I haven't bothered to check yet, so I'll have to test one and get back to you.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:11 PM   #17
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Quote:
I haven't bothered to check yet, so I'll have to test one and get back to you.
Thanks. I would imagine that the salt concentration must have a lot to do with performance.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:09 PM   #18
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk05 View Post
I just dunk the Boveda in water until it gets squishy again. Must have done it at least 5 times per bag. Works better with bigger ones.
I'll hafta try that, I have quite a few of these. Does it matter how hard they've gotten, or should they still have some "squish" to them?
Old 03-15-2014, 04:12 PM   #19
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

I regenerate mine, too. I also wonder if The RH is accurate after this.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:12 PM   #20
BlkDrew
Rolling my own...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (43)
LGC
BlkDrew will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
I'll hafta try that, I have quite a few of these. Does it matter how hard they've gotten, or should they still have some "squish" to them?
It will regenerate from completely crisp.
BlkDrew is offline   Reply With Quote