Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 02-04-2011, 01:59 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Ashton classic churchill

The Ashton classic series is a classic indeed, who hasn't smoked or at least heard about and seen these cigars? They are made from Dominican tobacco which has been aged for a minimum of three years and the wrapper is a Connecticut shade. This cigar has a price tag of 9 euro in The Netherlands. The churchill is 7½ inch long with a 52 ring.

The cigar I had was aged pretty good under perfect conditions. The band and the cellophane were starting to get yellow. The Connecticut shade wrapper is light colored and oily with a lot of small veins. The band is really simple. The construction feels good and I smell a barnyard aroma. The predraw is on the firm side of good and I taste a mild tobacco flavor with some pepper.

I taste a mild coffee flavor with some pepper and soon some wood. The flavors are mild and smooth. After half an inch I taste grass with a hint of chocolate. After two inch the flavors are dry wood with some sweet milky chocolate.

The grass returns and after two thirds I also taste some herbs with the grass and chocolate. I even taste some pepper. After three quarters I taste a hint of nuts and some sharp pepper

The churchill has a smoke time of an hour and forty five minutes. The draw and the burn are good. I got an acceptable volume of smoke, but the smoke is very thin. The ash is quite dark, compact and firm. This cigar is mild to medium bodied and medium flavored. I got a huge flame while purging.

Would I buy this cigar again? No, it is too mild for me

Appearance: 7 / 10
Construction: 8 / 10
Draw: 8 / 10
Burn: 8 / 10
Smoke & ash: 6 / 10
Aroma first part: 7 / 10
Aroma second part: 7 / 10
Aroma third part: 7 / 10
Old 02-04-2011, 02:06 AM   #2
Zeuceone
You're next

First Name: G
Trading: (16)
LGC
Zeuceone has disabled reputation
Default Re: Ashton classic churchill

Thanks for the review.
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:49 AM   #3
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Thanks For The Review, Ferdie! For A Mild, Flavorful Smoke, These Are One Of My Favorites! Great With My Morning Coffee!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:19 AM   #4
Lucky_Hippo
A Cigar = 42

First Name: Gary
Trading: (2)
Lucky_Hippo is on a distinguished road

I'll second the morning coffee suggestion! I get a raison profile from the cold draw that's enjoyable.
The Ashton Classics are also a big hit with friends who only smoke cigars a few times a year. I like to keep a box of the corona size for that reason alone.

Thanks for the review Ferdie.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:05 AM   #5
joeobx
just playing in the storm

First Name: Joe
Trading: (4)
joeobx will become famous soon enough

Nice review
Old 02-04-2011, 07:35 AM   #6
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Any CT Shade cigar is going to be on the mild side. Flavorless wrapper, but sure looks pretty and wraps the cigar cleaner than any other wrapper.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:20 AM   #7
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review Ferdie.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:01 AM   #8
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Nice Review as always, Ferdie.
I have a Sampler box of 2 of each Ashtons I am working on. The Cabinet was very good (Mild-med) I am waiting for a good Mild opportunity to have the Classic. The maduro was tasty too, although mild, it was flavorful.
I am looking forward the to Heritage too.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:04 AM   #9
swh127
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Scott
Trading: (3)
Montecristo
swh127 is on a distinguished road

Nice Review
swh127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:17 AM   #10
TBone
Equal opportunity Bomber

First Name: Paul
Trading: (25)
ERdM AirForce (Disabled Vet)
TBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the rough

Nice review Ferdie...makes me want to try it...
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:23 AM   #11
Nathan King

Default Flavorless? I think not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Any CT Shade cigar is going to be on the mild side. Flavorless wrapper, but sure looks pretty and wraps the cigar cleaner than any other wrapper.
I disagree with the assertion that the Connecticut shade wrapper is flavorless. I don't know why, but it seems most people want a cigar that will smack them in the face and blow their jaw off. A mild but complex smoke is a thing of beauty, and there will always be a good deal of space reserved for such a cigar in my humidor.

The review was nicely done, and the flavors you caught closely mirror my experiences with the Ashton Classic.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:23 PM   #12
GHC_Hambone

Default Re: Flavorless? I think not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan King View Post
I disagree with the assertion that the Connecticut shade wrapper is flavorless. I don't know why, but it seems most people want a cigar that will smack them in the face and blow their jaw off. A mild but complex smoke is a thing of beauty, and there will always be a good deal of space reserved for such a cigar in my humidor.
My thoughts exactly!
Old 02-04-2011, 01:20 PM   #13
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Nice review Ferdie!....one of my early favs and one I still visit now and then
Old 02-04-2011, 05:29 PM   #14
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I disagree with the assertion that the Connecticut shade wrapper is flavorless. I don't know why, but it seems most people want a cigar that will smack them in the face and blow their jaw off.
I too am fond of mild cigars, but compare CT Shade to Cameroon, Nicaraguan, or Cuban wrappers; CT Shade is like nothing is there. It burns very clean and white, but does not impart much flavor to the cigar.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:40 PM   #15
jdawg
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (2)
Partagas AirForce (Served With Honor)
jdawg is on a distinguished road

Nice review!

Perfect in the morning with a cup of joe.
jdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:05 PM   #16
Tyler

Quote:

The review was nicely done, and the flavors you caught closely mirror my experiences with the Ashton Classic.
Thank you very much for the review. And Nathan I too really enjoy milder cigars. I used to really enjoy those knock you on your butt maduros, like Camacho Triple Maduro, but recently I have been enjoying mild cigars. I have not tried an Ashton before so I will be sure to pick one of these up sometime.

Last edited by Tyler; 02-04-2011 at 11:18 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:16 PM   #17
jesseboston81
CC Simple PIF Promoter

First Name: Jesse
Trading: (41)
Bolivar
jesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nice

Thanks for the review, looking forward to trying one of these at some point. As a newbie to cigars, I should get acquainted with the "classics"!
Old 02-04-2011, 11:19 PM   #18
Pat1075
Feeling at Home

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (11)
HUpmann
Pat1075 is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the review Ferdie. This has always been my favorite mild cigar line.
Pat1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:34 PM   #19
Flynnster
Life's too short Swishers

Trading: (7)
Flynnster has a spectacular aura aboutFlynnster has a spectacular aura about

I love the Ashton Classics, everyone I have had has been great, nothing to make you go "Wow" or surprise you, but its a great smoke.
Flynnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #20
timj219
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (15)
Partagas
timj219 will become famous soon enoughtimj219 will become famous soon enough

I tried the ashton classic today. I'm a fan of connecticut wrappers and this was a good one. Mild/med but not boring. My palate is not the match of some but it's easy to pick up notes of grass and mild spice. A fine slow burn with moderate amount of very nice smelling smoke. Reminds me of the PDR clasico and I'd like to smoke them back to back to see just how similar they are.