Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 02-04-2010, 05:38 AM   #21
sodomanaz

Default Re: I smoked a Gorillafinger...

Damn that Lars Tetens... well, I woke up pretty hungover and scrubbed the inside of my mouth out pretty good as I could still taste what I can only describe as burnt ash. Lit up a Diesel (a current favorite of mine) and all I could taste was that same burnt ash flavor.

So anyway, here is the review.

First off, the packaging. The epitome of stupid if you care about getting your cigar out of there without a problem and keeping the bag. The lip portions of the ziplock cause a bit of a hazard when trying to pull the cigar out. If this were a smaller rg, no problem, but these were easily ~rg54. When my brother pulled his out, the band got caught on the ziplock tearing the wrapper slightly. He fought with it a bit to get the band out. I decided to cut mine out to avoid that issue. Why exactly do we need a reusable bag for a single cigar Mr. Tetens?

Next up the "precut." My brother was satisfied with his straight out of the bag, but I wasn't. I could see that something was done to the end, but it definitely wasn't anything I was going to be able to get a draw from. I decided to use a punch to open it up.

Prelight thoughts: My brother summed it up pretty well: It smells like an Asian food store. The foot of the cigar looks stupid because of the crappy packaging.

As soon as my brother lit his cigar it split a bit, but didn't cause any problem with smoking. The taste was light at the start, but numbing. It doesn't taste good at all. Very bitter with hints of sweetness... can't put my finger on it but it certainly isn't good.

About a 1/3 in my brother remarked how this tastes like the oral rinse he got after having his wisdom teeth removed. My mouth was pretty numb at this point and I started using tissues to try and clear my tongue to get a better taste. Vodka wasn't clearing my palate of this ****. After a few times doing this, I was able to taste again, but nothing but ash. It tasted like I accidentally put the wrong end of the cigar into my mouth.

Flavor changed a bit with the next 1/3, and it definitely didn't taste like tobacco. I stupidly snorked the next few hits and picked up hints of a floral medicine mixed in with a taste of garbage. My brother said it tastes "shitty" and bitter, and not strong at all. The cigar is starting to turn sour.

The last 1/3 made my brother remark how it is starting to taste like a relit cigarette butt where you just get that tiny bit of tobacco and burnt filter flavor. I'm tasting nothing but burnt ash. And that is still all I taste right now even after a good brush and rinse with Listerine.

Overall it wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but it definitely wasn't good at all. The only positive I noted about the cigar was how the draw was spot on, if not a little loose.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:14 AM   #22
Wanger

Sounds like you guys and Mario got lucky with yours. Your respective reviews sound a LOT better than I remember mine to be. Ash flavor would be a lot better than what I experienced! Simon, WTF did you do to mine before you gave it to me?!?!?!
Old 02-04-2010, 09:16 AM   #23
sodomanaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanger View Post
Sounds like you guys and Mario got lucky with yours. Your respective reviews sound a LOT better than I remember mine to be. Ash flavor would be a lot better than what I experienced! Simon, WTF did you do to mine before you gave it to me?!?!?!
I was wondering that myself as I remember your review saying it was sticky lol.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:21 AM   #24
marge796
It Just Doesn’t Matter!!!

First Name: Chris
Trading: (28)
Cuaba Navy (Served With Honor)
marge796 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicCook View Post
Luckily I have not been subjected to these.

Nor I, or will I for that matter!

Chris.....
Old 02-04-2010, 09:25 AM   #25
mariogolbee

Like I said before, these may have just aged well. A well as a GF can. When I snorked mine it actually tasted better.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:32 PM   #26
Powers
Swamp Ash member in exile

First Name: Michael
Trading: (17)
Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodomanaz View Post
I stupidly snorked the next few hits and picked up hints of a floral medicine mixed in with a taste of garbage. My brother said it tastes "shitty" and bitter, and not strong at all.

Thanks for the review bro!
Old 02-04-2010, 07:36 PM   #27
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Somebody once said they'd rather lick the rim of a garage station toilet than smoke a Gorilla Finger.