Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 12-22-2009, 05:26 PM   #1
Montano
Bourbon IS a food group

First Name: Nick
Trading: (33)
Cohiba Navy (Served With Honor)
Montano is a jewel in the roughMontano is a jewel in the roughMontano is a jewel in the roughMontano is a jewel in the rough
Default Cubao No. 3 Lancero

This is my first lancero and I wasn't quite sure if I wanted to smoke a cigar so long and skinny. But willing to try just about anything, I gave it a go. This cigar has a very small pigtail on the cap. I used my v-cutter and it made a perfect cut. Pre-light draw was nice with a hint of spice.

This smoke starts out with a very light spice mixed in with a touch of leather. The burn was even and the draw was smooth. Not a lot of smoke coming out, but the flavor comes through still.

The wind was really whipping outside today, and the ash went flying off quickly. The mild pepper taste continued for the first half of this cigar.

The second half brought about a creamy tobacco flavor with light touches of toast. The flavor really started to come through as I got further into this one. I know I would have enjoyed it more if it wasn't so damn cold outside.

While I did enjoy the flavor of this smoke, I'm not sure I cared much for the length or ring gauge. Perhaps it takes some getting used to. It felt like I had a pencil in my mouth. I think this was a medium bodied smoke in which the flavor gained momentum the further along you got.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:34 PM   #2
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Cubao No. 3 Lancero

Thanks for the review. This is my favorite size of the Cubao line.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:50 PM   #3
maverickdrinker
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: art
Trading: (15)
Cohiba
maverickdrinker will become famous soon enoughmaverickdrinker will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the review; will have to look for these next time I am in the US.
maverickdrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:50 AM   #4
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

My favorite Cubao. I'll be having one of these over the next few days for sure.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:58 AM   #5
srduggins
Feeling at Home

First Name: steve
Trading: (37)
LGC
srduggins will become famous soon enoughsrduggins will become famous soon enough

I've been wanting to try that size as I really liked the Toros I've smoked.
srduggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:06 AM   #6
Blindjimme
Judgement Impaired

First Name: JB
Trading: (14)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
Blindjimme will become famous soon enough

I really like these. I find them kinda med-full. The Lancero does take some getting used, especially if you have big hands like me, but I really like the extra flavor in this vitola.
Blindjimme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:08 AM   #7
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Nice review and pics.
This is my favorite size in the line also. I agree with the V Cut, I do this on my Lanceros also.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:13 PM   #8
roughrider
Feeling at Home

Trading: (24)
roughrider is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the review.
roughrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:48 PM   #9
Savor the Stick
~Loves the Lord~

First Name: Kevin, or just K
Trading: (67)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
Savor the Stick has disabled reputation

Nice Review! I'm kind of on a lancero kick right now; gonna have to see about trying this one.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:56 PM   #10
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

Much like everyone else has said this is my favorite format in this line. I normally lean towards the thinner ring gauge and have smoked my fair share of lanceros and would defiantly agree they are a smoke that takes some getting used to. Great review and I hope you give the lanceros a few more chances at shinning through. I fell you get to experience the wrapper more in these sizes and on a smoke that the Cubao that is a huge plus in my book.
Ranger_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:10 AM   #11
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Sweet review!!!

Always enjoy the photos!!!

Lanceros will grow on you!!! I felt like a sissy the first time I smoked one... But the flavor that came through convinced me to keep smoking them! Now I could care less what I look like!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:26 AM   #12
gbum
Feeling at Home

First Name: Asyraf
Trading: (0)
Partagas
gbum is on a distinguished road

not a fan of lancero...but great review!
Old 06-03-2010, 04:51 PM   #13
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Posted this review in another thread, but thought I'd put it here as well

First was a first time smoke for me, a Cubao #3, the Lancero. This stick had been residing in my humidor for a while, given to my by DougBushBC quite a while back. I had heard some great thing about this cigar and was really looking forward to it. I thought it would make a great first stick with which to toast the honor of fallen heros.

This is a great looking stick, aesthetically, it is a work of art. The pigtail cap is gives it a rustic look, and the 7X38 size bespeaks elegance. Sporting a lightly veined milk chocolate wrapper that glistens lightly with oil, it has been beckoning in the humidor for way to long.

A snip of the cap, check the draw and there is hint of sweet and spice.

After lighting, there was never a touch-up needed. It burned beautifully and produced a good amoung of smoke throughout.

Here's were it gets a bit dicey, and I think I had better preface what is about to follow.

Presently, I am getting very picky. I've smoked lots of cigars in my life, and in that time, tried quite a few new cigars. I know what cigars I really enjoy at this point. That isn't to say I don't like trying new ones, but for me to get really excited about a cigar, it has to do something that no other cigar has done before - or it has to do what others have done before in such a way that it makes me stand up and take notice. (Something that tastes/smokes/looks exactly like a PAM '64, for $1.50 would do that) In other words, it has to "wow" me.

There's some nice cream and nut flavors with some spice and a tasty finish going. This is a nice little treat. The intensity buillds as the cigar progresses, creaminess being very dominant.

I'd like to thank Doug for this cigar. I am glad to have had one, it was a very tasty smoke.

But, while it had some nice flavors, and was enjoyable, it didn't "wow."

If I could find these for about $2-$3.50 a stick, I could see picking up some more of these. At the B&M price of $8-$10 a stick, I can't do it. Even at $6 and change on the internet, it is more than I'd like to spend on a box. I might see a 5er in the future, but if I don't get another of these I won't lose any sleep over it.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:40 PM   #14
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review...thanks for sharing.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:49 PM   #15
darkninja67

Nice review. Most if not all lanceros stink but I love the Cubao in a thicker gauge as well.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:52 AM   #16
Dunkel
Maduro & Oscuro Whore-O

First Name: Doug
Trading: (75)
Dunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really nice

Thanks for the review. I'm not a Lancero fan either. Too feminine or Aristocratic for me.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:11 PM   #17
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

Re visited this today. I remember the one I had last year was very spicy and pretty straight forward for the entire smoke.

After a year this cigar has mellowed to where more flavors can be picked up. Traditional spice in the first several puffs (Pepin).

The 1st 1/3rd was actually pretty mellow with some light woods and a touch of coffee.

The 2nd 1/3 picked up a but with darker coffee, cream, and a slight sweetness in the back ground.

The last 3rd is where more of these will end up in my humi. The spice has gone to the background with a very sweet chocolate flavor up front.

The construction and draw were exactly how I like them with a little resistance which I think increases smoke volume (Very dense smoke on this cigar) and flavor.
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #18
Taki
Welcome to the Layer Cake

First Name: Taki
Trading: (38)
HdM
Taki has disabled reputation

Thanks for the review brother!!!
Very nice
Old 03-22-2012, 03:53 AM   #19
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Had One Last Night! Nice & Creamy With A Touch Of Spice & Sweetness. Burn & Draw Were Perfect On This Beauty From '09!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:34 AM   #20
HollywoodQue
Invictus

First Name: Howard
Trading: (46)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
HollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really nice

Thanks for sharing
HollywoodQue is offline   Reply With Quote