Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-07-2012, 08:40 AM   #1
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default A Humidor Build Idea.

I've been hanging onto this picture for a long time. This humi is definately not what we generally look for, and it'd be tough to draft, but it'd look drop-dead sexy full of Cohibas on someone's office desk.
I can do anything with the outside, burl wouldn't be my first choice. A real dark cherry would look nice.
I have no clue what material I'd use for the "straps" on the sides. I'd think string would pile up and cause problems with the lid closing unless I left a lot of dead space on the ends.
The hinging on the cigar holds would be hell to work out, as well.

I'm not sure why I'm insistant on building something like this, it'll take me a week just to reverse engineer it and mock it up to get the mechanics right. It's just been stuck in my crop for a long time.

Please let me know your thoughts on it. Be super critical. I'm hoping you'll all talk me out of it.
Please give me your thoughts on the practicality/impracticality of it, as well. It'll be a very expensive piece that'll probably wait a long, long time for a buyer.
The one upside I can see is that once I work out the mechanics, I can draft it and make it on the CAD in any size, easily and relatively inexpensively. A person could just put the guts in a travel humi, etc. That'd be a practical use that I'd personally enjoy.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:47 AM   #2
xFreebirdx
Patriot Guard Rider

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (2)
Cohiba Army (Served With Honor)
xFreebirdx is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A Humidor Build Idea.

Man that is nice.

Yup it will be quite the undertaking in building it, but imagine how rewarding it will feel when your done.

As far as the "straps/string" go. Maybe something elastic would help with the slack when you close it. just my .02¢

Good Luck if you take it on.
Veteran: ★US ARMY 78 - 81★.......★Patriot Guard Rider ID#45266 07/06/06★
xFreebirdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Looks it has some decent possibilities to cause wrapper damage, especially if the cigars are bouncing around inside a traveldor version of it. Also, it appears as if it might be less than ideal for storing shorter or smaller RG cigars unless you make different size drilled slats and base slats - it looks like a lancero might fall right through the hole in the center of the base slat. If any cigar falls out of the base slat when closing, it might get crunched.

Overall, I think it might be ok for a desktop if one can live with the cigar size limitations, but I dunno about a traveldor.

As for the straps, maybe some sort of synthetic leather? Has the pliability and "folding" characteristics of leather without the odor issues. It'll should naturally form loops in front of the slats when closed.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:24 AM   #4
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

As neat as it looks, I agree, I see wrappers being damaged from "bouncing" against each other. And this thing holds, from what I can see, 50-60 sticks??? Even if you make it bigger...would be a cool piece for sure...but I don't believe it would be practical.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #5
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Wrapper damage...first thing that came to my mind as well.
Sexy, yes. Practical for use, not quite sure.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #6
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I had given thought to wrapper damage in travel humis,. I have clear plastic cigar tubes that'd work in that instance.
In a desktop situation, it'd definately limit a guy to one ring guage and length. That sure wouldn't suit me at all, but it may work for some guys.
It'd be easy enough to make different size holes for different rings, but it just wouldn't look right, to me, if it wasn't full of the same cigars of the same ring/length.
(I guess that could be an option?)
To adjust the size/ring situation in the desktop version, maybe some pop-in bushings would do it, or make it so the carrying slats are easily replaceable?

Here's the tubes I mentioned. I actually put cigars in finger bags and then put them inside these.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:51 AM   #7
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

That solves the wrapper damage issue.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:26 PM   #8
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Well, the plastic tubes are close to the solution I was thinking of, and probably a lot more practical and readily available. I was thinking about the glass tubes some of my sticks come in! I'd imagine plastic tubes cheaper, easier to find! I'd think simple nylon webbed straps would work fine. Elastic would tend to try to make it close all the time.
main issue is how to get the straps to fold IN, instead of out. Maybe "pre-crease" each one between each tray with a hot iron, in a very limited area, so they would be predisposed to fold inward? Given nylon's melt factor, it probably wouldn't take much heat, and some trial and error should give you the right process quickly.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #9
proguy747
Hey hurry up!

First Name: Marc
Trading: (1)
proguy747 is on a distinguished road

Put me down for a pre-order.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:05 PM   #10
cjhalbrooks
I am behind you. SHHHHH

First Name: Cory
Location: Under a Bridge, trying to find the troll who stole my soul.
Trading: (20)
Montecristo Army (Active)
cjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

well i think i would love to have that baby on my desk, the air flow for the cigars would help them breath. But the problem is for the cost of making it for 50 or even 100 cigars you could buy a reg hummi

GMCGTPWHAF Tennessee Chapter. Down with the bloody BIG HEAD
cjhalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #11
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
Well, the plastic tubes are close to the solution I was thinking of, and probably a lot more practical and readily available. I was thinking about the glass tubes some of my sticks come in! I'd imagine plastic tubes cheaper, easier to find! I'd think simple nylon webbed straps would work fine. Elastic would tend to try to make it close all the time.
main issue is how to get the straps to fold IN, instead of out. Maybe "pre-crease" each one between each tray with a hot iron, in a very limited area, so they would be predisposed to fold inward? Given nylon's melt factor, it probably wouldn't take much heat, and some trial and error should give you the right process quickly.
Ya know, Cliff, you made me think that something like a sink chain would do the trick. I imagined it just like you did, nylon string piling up and getting in the way. Some kind of chain would fall straight down.
I was thinking about this in the shower and the tubes would be fine for a travel humi, but it'd very much cut down on how many cigars a guy could get in there. The cool factor would make up for that, and the extra protection, but I don't know how many tubes would fit in a 12x9x6 travel humi. Not more than 30, I wouldn't think. Maybe less.
I wouldn't be able to resize this kind of setup as easily as I initially thought, either.
Still, the parts and pieces could be easily made on the CNC and I can shorten them to fit with minimum trouble.
It may be worth messing around with, at least a prototype frame. If I can make that work, then I can commit. If it becomes too much trouble, I can toss it all in the trash.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:46 PM   #12
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Ya know, Cliff, you made me think that something like a sink chain would do the trick. I imagined it just like you did, nylon string piling up and getting in the way. Some kind of chain would fall straight down.
I was thinking about this in the shower and the tubes would be fine for a travel humi, but it'd very much cut down on how many cigars a guy could get in there. The cool factor would make up for that, and the extra protection, but I don't know how many tubes would fit in a 12x9x6 travel humi. Not more than 30, I wouldn't think. Maybe less.
I wouldn't be able to resize this kind of setup as easily as I initially thought, either.
Still, the parts and pieces could be easily made on the CNC and I can shorten them to fit with minimum trouble.
It may be worth messing around with, at least a prototype frame. If I can make that work, then I can commit. If it becomes too much trouble, I can toss it all in the trash.
The chain makes a certain sense. But, as with the straps, there is no guarantee that the chains would not bunch between the the slats! They obviously have it figured out on the one that is pictured. Maybe the slats do not touch other when they close, maybe enough room exist for the straps to fold between. After further thought, my first thoughts of INWARD folding doesn't seem likely. I'd think they have to fold OUTWARD, not inward. With the pivot point being in the center of what appears to be a 1 1/2 inch (guessing) slat, not much way it could fold inward! Hard to tell from picture how much space exist for them to fold outward. Must be enough, or else the strap is thinner and much more flexible than a web nylon strap would be, which would allow it to collapse down like the chain idea you have.

As to the tubes, I wonder if there are different diameters that would give you greater capacity. But, after I think on it more, tubes would have to be easily removable to get to the cigars. But tubes might result in poor humidity access to the entire cigar. I guess you could cut slots in the tubes, or drill multiple holes. But, then, you are adding lots of work! Best circulation access would be the bare cigars. But then the wrapper damage potential others have mentioned becomes a real issue.

I think the mechanics could be easily worked out, but the cigar safety and access issues (being able to easily remove an individual cigar) might be the bigger issue! The more I think about it, the more I see why you kinda are hoping to be talked out of the project!!!!
Old 04-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #13
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

A few more thoughts:

If you did not use tubes, I can foresee the "two-point" contact provided on the middle racks being a potential problem. Especially with sticks that are smaller than the holes. What happens if each cigar isn't firmly seated, and while closing the lid, the base slips out of the indentions at the bottom. That could result in misaligned sticks that could bind on each other, and result in bent or even broken sticks. I understand why they only have the base (indented) and the middle holes for those three racks, it is for display and ease of removal of individual sticks when the humidor was full. But, unless all holes are filled with cigars, it seems like misalignment becomes a greater issue.

In studying and thinking about it (without the tubes), wouldn't the cigars need to be inserted with the cap end down? Otherwise, the flat foots of most cigars would probably be more prone to slippage, and not fit very securely in the base plate that appears to "dimpled" (with holes for torpedo ended styles??). If inserted cap first, then the bands hanging up becomes an issue as well as much more difficulty in seeing the bands to determine what each cigar was.

How am I doing in talking you out of the project?
Old 04-07-2012, 09:18 PM   #14
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

You're doing an excellent job, Cliff.
It's important to keep the two ideas, desktop and travel humi, completely separated.
A desktop application is cake. I have no concerns of making that work, and things as simple as counter-sinking the holes would prevent any injury to cigars. It's really pretty easy.

When I start thinking travel humi, a lot of things get tough. Each instance is something that can be overcome, but with every little issue there's more work added, and time is money.
Simple stuff like "what happens when the humi is turned end over end?" I'd have to provide a way to stop the cigars or tubes from sliding. That'd be a pain.

I think I'd taper the holes and send the cigars in foot first in either application, witha foam base for the foot ofthe cigar. But now I have to consider different lengths and rings. That's why tubes and finger bags would help, but that kinda sucks.
It's definately a tough project. I think that's why I'm so drawn to making it work.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #15
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

I think it's the right idea, just the wrong application. The whole point of the design is not to store a large number of sticks, but to store fewer sticks in a more classy presentation. While the clear tubes are nice, I think they subtract from the elegance of the humidor, and continue to limit the overall functionality.

For a desktop version, I suspect individually compartmentalized trays would work better than tubes. Think of something a little bit closer to a plain plastic tackle box with the flip open lid and expanding trays, only done a little more stylishly.

For a travel version, a little shaped foam that gently sandwiches the cigars from two sides when the case closes (think like a Cigar Caddy) prevents any movement, including small vibrations that can cause chips and cracks in wrappers. It only needs to squeeze gently on about two areas, each with an inch of contact on the cigar, then a soft piece at the top and bottom so that serious trauma can't overcome the foam's friction ability and let the cigar's foot/cap bang into anything.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #16
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Something like that would look awesome if it was full of 10 of each Siglo Tubos
Old 04-09-2012, 04:38 PM   #17
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silound View Post
I think it's the right idea, just the wrong application. The whole point of the design is not to store a large number of sticks, but to store fewer sticks in a more classy presentation. While the clear tubes are nice, I think they subtract from the elegance of the humidor, and continue to limit the overall functionality.

For a desktop version, I suspect individually compartmentalized trays would work better than tubes. Think of something a little bit closer to a plain plastic tackle box with the flip open lid and expanding trays, only done a little more stylishly.

For a travel version, a little shaped foam that gently sandwiches the cigars from two sides when the case closes (think like a Cigar Caddy) prevents any movement, including small vibrations that can cause chips and cracks in wrappers. It only needs to squeeze gently on about two areas, each with an inch of contact on the cigar, then a soft piece at the top and bottom so that serious trauma can't overcome the foam's friction ability and let the cigar's foot/cap bang into anything.
The plastic tubes wouldn't be used in the desktop application, just maybe the travel humi. We're talking two completely separate beasts here, two different designs of roughly the same mechanism.
The idea of trays rather than the rack/hole/slat mechanism, I can see that. I'd leave the tray front open or make it easy to flip the fronts down. That'd solve the different length of cigars issue.

I'm not following you on the second part at all. I won't be layering any foam, I'd only consider it at the foot of the assembly to cut down on rattling. I think you're considering foam trays that fan out. I can see that. I wouldn't do it because I hate that gray foam (I throw it away immediately). I suppose it's silly for me to dismiss a foam tray idea off-hand, but if I don't like the stuff and I won't enjoy working with it, there's really no sense in me considering doing this in the first place, ya know?
I'll be spending hours on it. If there's gray foam in the same room, I'd rather take a sharp stick in the eye.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #18
Hem
Feeling at Home

First Name: Bill
Trading: (13)
Partagas
Hem will become famous soon enough

Looks intricate! Definitely not for the novice builder..if you are going to chase this white whale..have patience!
Hem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:24 PM   #19
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

Ahh, yeah I got confused there, had to go back and re-read.

Foam is...meh? It's cheap and functional, but nothing about it screams class and elegance. Agree with you about the stick!

I've been sitting here for the last 30 minutes staring at that picture trying to see how one could prevent any movement by the cigars if the case got shaken or banged around, and I'm not having any moving thoughts.

Still, this is something to do while my software compiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
The plastic tubes wouldn't be used in the desktop application, just maybe the travel humi. We're talking two completely separate beasts here, two different designs of roughly the same mechanism.
The idea of trays rather than the rack/hole/slat mechanism, I can see that. I'd leave the tray front open or make it easy to flip the fronts down. That'd solve the different length of cigars issue.

I'm not following you on the second part at all. I won't be layering any foam, I'd only consider it at the foot of the assembly to cut down on rattling. I think you're considering foam trays that fan out. I can see that. I wouldn't do it because I hate that gray foam (I throw it away immediately). I suppose it's silly for me to dismiss a foam tray idea off-hand, but if I don't like the stuff and I won't enjoy working with it, there's really no sense in me considering doing this in the first place, ya know?
I'll be spending hours on it. If there's gray foam in the same room, I'd rather take a sharp stick in the eye.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #20
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

It's a most unique piece - I think it's a desk top design 100%. It also looks the the capped end goes in first and butts up against the tapered hole end with the foot greeting the opener. It's funny that only the first and last rack has the half moon extension piece near the end of the stick for maximum support. From it's size, it looks like it's designed for one type of cigar (or two), mainly a churchill or double corona - suggested by the longer extension of the half moon supports. As far as connectors, small chain would 'fall' better when closed, but I can see it getting caught between the tray pieces, unless if it's on the inside or outside of each tray. The design looks like cloth, but I can see if bundling up and possibly causing the lid not to close, especially mounted where pictured, on the front of the tray. Maybe some way to incorporate an accordion type hinge or concertina hinge, either on the inside or outside of each tray. This style would also give rigidity. I would also opt for the half moon outer supports for all of the trays instead of the outermost two.

I guess you took the photo, Scott - or was it an Internet picture? I'm curious the price on your pictured model.

I also found this Partagas model:

Also, check out this RyJ one. Another skill tester for you. Looks like it wouldn't seal very well.

I bet none of them are cheap.