Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 04-20-2009, 08:46 PM   #1
smokin5
Have My Own Room

Trading: (69)
Bolivar
smokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nice
Default What's More Special?

The cigar, or the occasion?
I know many of us here like to keep that "special" cigar for a special occasion, such as a party or celebration or whatnot.
However, I find that at such special occasions, the cigar gets lost in the general excitement and activity of everything around.

As a result, I tend to light a "good" cigar during special occasions, and keep the "special" cigars for those times when I can concentrate & enjoy them in the solitude & quiet of my own time on my back deck. That way, I can truly savor each puff.

In other words, the special cigar makes an everyday moment that much more special. The special occasion doesn't need or allow for a special cigar.

What are your thoughts?
Old 04-20-2009, 08:56 PM   #2
theonlybear4CORT
RIP Nick Montano

First Name: Mike
Trading: (14)
theonlybear4CORT has disabled reputation
Default Re: What's More Special?

Well put.
theonlybear4CORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:58 PM   #3
big a
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (42)
RyJ
big a will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin5 View Post
I know many of us here like to keep that "special" cigar for a special occasion, such as a party or celebration or whatnot.
However, I find that at such special occasions, the cigar gets lost in the general excitement and activity of everything around.

As a result, I tend to light a "good" cigar during special occasions, and keep the "special" cigars for those times when I can concentrate & enjoy them in the solitude & quiet of my own time on my back deck. That way, I can truly savor each puff.

In other words, the special cigar makes an everyday moment that much more special. The special occasion doesn't need or allow for a special cigar.

What are your thoughts?
I completely understand your thinking. I was currently looking for cigars for my birthday. After thinking about it I want to be able to fully enjoy this “special” cigar. Therefore I am going to smoke this cigar around that special day when I know ill have time rather than on my birthday when I’ll be

The only time I really smoke special cigars on the day of an occasion is if it is a special cigar occasion such as something going on at the B&M, herfs, ect.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:01 PM   #4
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin5 View Post

What are your thoughts?
Interesting question, Eric.
I firmly believe that the setting improves the appreciation of the cigar, wine, spirit, overall. A good cigar tastes better. But a "special" cigar shared among close friends is exquisite.

I agree that if I am smoking the special cigar for myself, I prefer to enjoy (and concentrate on) the cigar myself. But sharing those special smokes is something to be savored as well.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:24 PM   #5
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

The occassion for me....every cigar is better when smoked in the company of friends.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:26 PM   #6
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
The occassion for me....every cigar is better when smoked in the company of friends.
I agree with that Tom.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:34 PM   #7
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation

A great occasion can make any cigar better. A great cigar can make any occasion better. The mystical combination of a great cigar and a special occasion that allows it to be enjoyed is what makes great smoking memories. For me they are never solitary. Might get the most out of a particular cigar when smoking alone but there are no placeholders to retain the experience over the long term. Probably why herf smoked cigars represent so many of my favorite smoking memories.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:12 PM   #8
smokin5
Have My Own Room

Trading: (69)
Bolivar
smokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nice

Yes, but Herfs are a unique situation, where the main purpose is to gather with friends (& friends-to-be) who appreciate cigars, and share those special smokes. Herfs are definitely a time & place where the special times & special cigars should intertwine. These are not the events to which I refer, though.

I mean occasions like parties or large gatherings where there is plenty else going on as the focus, where you're enjoying yourself & others so that almost any stogie would taste better by virtue of the company & your attitude. Where there is much going on that detracts your attention from the nuances that usually make a "special" cigar special anyway.

On the other hand, a special smoke can make an ordinary day that much more memorable simply because of the cigar you enjoyed.
In other words, a special cigar can turn an ordinary day into a special day.

I don't save very many 'special' smokes for 'special' occasions anymore. I enjoy them on what would otherwise be just another day.
To make it a 'special' day for me.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:21 PM   #9
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough

I only get to smoke once or twice a week generally, so I try to smoke special cigars each time I do have the opportunity to smoke. I, however, am guilty of holding on to "special" cigars for special occasions, but I try not too.
ade06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:24 PM   #10
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I gotta agree with the big guy here. I enjoy smoking more when it is in the company of good folks, especially those who enjoy the leaf as well. I've had some good smokes while going solo, but enjoy them more when shared.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:36 PM   #11
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

This Thread made me think!!!

That doesn't happen too often!!!

You are on to something!!! Smoke the gotos on the special occations and the goodstuff for enjoyment!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:21 PM   #12
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Some of the most memorable cigars I've smoked have been 'good' cigars that I've smoked in the company of close friends and family. There's something about the experience that elevates to enjoyment of a cigar for me.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:37 PM   #13
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation

I tend to smoke "okay" cigars at "occasions" such a parties, at the bar, etc. Too much other stimuli to really notice or enjoy the greatness of an outstanding cigar for me. I enjoy my exceptional cigars sitting alone on the back patio or sometimes with just a couple friends. Most of my best cigar moments have been in solitude. Conversely, many of my best moments of camaraderie and friendship were in the presence of fellow cigar smokers. Both types of moments have a great impact on my happiness.

MCS
Old 04-21-2009, 08:37 PM   #14
poriggity
Cigar Zombie Fo Life!

Trading: (13)
poriggity will become famous soon enoughporiggity will become famous soon enough

I am not really sure, but I have to say.. I've had a couple of GOF's.. The first one was with a bunch of buddies, in a great herf setting. I LOVED that smoke. The second one was by myself, and for some reason it wasn't nearly as good.

Bearded Dad Blog
poriggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:42 PM   #15
Jimbo14
Habano Man

First Name: James
Trading: (0)
Montecristo
Jimbo14 is on a distinguished road

Smokin5 I totally agree with you! I save my best cigars for when I am alone and can truly appreciate the cigar.

I smoke my good 'goto' cigars on special occasions.
Jimbo14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:25 PM   #16
Ragin Cajun
Staff Sergeant of Marines

First Name: Nick
Trading: (3)
Montecristo MarineCorps (Active)
Ragin Cajun is on a distinguished road

A great cigar is a great cigar and it will be a great cigar no matter what the occasion is. The thing about a great cigar is this: if the occassion is good and the cigar is great then the cigar will only be just that a great cigar; however if the occasion is not very good and the cigar is a great cigar then the cigar will stay great only it will be a wasted great cigar. Now on the other hand if the ocassion is great and the cigar is good, then the occassion has the oppurtunity to make that good cigar a great cigar; one that will bring back memories of smoking it for the first time or the hundreth time. This also plays the other way, if the occassion is bad and the cigar is good, the occasion can over power that good cigar turing it bad. Either way the occassion over rules the cigar, making the occassion more special in my opinion.

Semper Fi

Last edited by Ragin Cajun; 04-21-2009 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Just realized that this was my 100th post, damn I'm slow to the punch.
Ragin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:15 AM   #17
troutbreath
Feeling at Home

First Name: Mike
Trading: (0)
troutbreath is on a distinguished road

The people make it special. A good cigar with one friend can make the moment an occasion, even if it is just "hanging out."
troutbreath is offline   Reply With Quote