Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-25-2012, 07:19 PM   #21
Digs
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dennis
Trading: (17)
Digs will become famous soon enough
Default Re: I need your Input: LED TV versus Plasma TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyC View Post
I just got a 7500 series Samsung and the picture is absolutely incredible. My friends sit in front of the TV dumb struck by how good the picture is. My other TV is a 4 year old Panasonic plasma and the picture is great on that too, but the Samsung LED is just so sharp and so bright. The picture almost looks 3D even in 2D mode!
Haha I spent all of last December when I got my 8000 watching movies I already seen with my jaw hanging open. I remember watching battle for LA, I was just awe struck.

A gun in your hand is better then a cop on the phone
Digs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:21 PM   #22
milhouse
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
milhouse is on a distinguished road

I think a good plasma (panasonic), is offers great picture quality. Black levels are unmatched. However, these slim led tvs are so close to my eye, that I would choose them in a second over a plasma. My samsung is under an inch thick and hugs my wall perfectly, this to me was very important because of where it is situated in my room.

I have 2 samsungs lcd's now (the other is is a few years older). I gave my old panasonic to my sister in law, and it still looks sweet.

Pioneer made the best plasmas, too bad they are out of the biz.
milhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #23
Digs
Adjusting to the Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by milhouse View Post
I think a good plasma (panasonic), is offers great picture quality. Black levels are unmatched. However, these slim led tvs are so close to my eye, that I would choose them in a second over a plasma. My samsung is under an inch thick and hugs my wall perfectly, this to me was very important because of where it is situated in my room.

I have 2 samsungs lcd's now (the other is is a few years older). I gave my old panasonic to my sister in law, and it still looks sweet.

I looked at the Panasonic GT50, had to drive over an hour to another Best Buy because my local store didn't carry it they said it was to hi end for my local store. Not to sound snotty, money was no object and I bought what in my opinion had the best pic. I love my 8000, has the smart tv menu, my remote is even a keyboard very easy to use

Old 11-25-2012, 07:42 PM   #24
Angry_Pirate
Traveler

First Name: J.T.
Trading: (40)
Cohiba
Angry_Pirate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaneG View Post
When are you inviting me over to smoke and watch it?

Angry_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:45 PM   #25
MikeyC
member of the CA MINYAN

Trading: (11)
Bolivar
MikeyC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by milhouse View Post
I was under the impression that they sold their TV division to Sharp. The current Elite TV's are still a step above IMO, but they're not that far advanced that they're worth double the price of competitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digs View Post
I looked at the Panasonic GT50, had to drive over an hour to another Best Buy because my local store didn't carry it they said it was to hi end for my local store. Not to sound snotty, money was no object and I bought what in my opinion had the best pic. I love my 8000, has the smart tv menu, my remote is even a keyboard very easy to use
You have a keyboard on your remote? I wish I had that. Eventually, I'll cough up the $100 to get the wireless keyboard. So far, I haven't used the "Smart" aspect of the TV too much. I also thought about going with the 8000 series, but the extra $500 or so to upgrade from the 7500 in the 60" size put me over my budget.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:52 PM   #26
Angry_Pirate
Traveler

First Name: J.T.
Trading: (40)
Cohiba
Angry_Pirate is on a distinguished road

I couldn't believe how much lighter the new 46" was compared to the old 46". The old one has a bigger cabinet (frame) around it i figure that's what accounts for the additional weight. To my disappointment this model only has 2 HDMI ports need three so I'll try a splitter but over all very happy with it.

Anyone ever used a Spyder for color calibration?

http://spyder.datacolor.com/portfoli.../spyder4tv-hd/
Angry_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:01 PM   #27
Digs
Adjusting to the Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyC View Post
I was under the impression that they sold their TV division to Sharp. The current Elite TV's are still a step above IMO, but they're not that far advanced that they're worth double the price of competitors.

You have a keyboard on your remote? I wish I had that. Eventually, I'll cough up the $100 to get the wireless keyboard. So far, I haven't used the "Smart" aspect of the TV too much. I also thought about going with the 8000 series, but the extra $500 or so to upgrade from the 7500 in the 60" size put me over my budget.
Too funny I also bought the 7500 first and returned the next day. till you add the wireless lan adapter (which i needed for the smart hub) and keyboard it was an extra $250. Plus I learned about the 8000 has what is called central diming which allows it to produce true black... I was hooked.