Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 04:01 PM   #201
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future
Default Re: Sometimes you call a spade a spade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottw View Post
Maybe that mentality will help prevent this **** from happening again.
Sorry if it offends any one but I have to agree. Getting these situations out in the open may keep me or you from getting stuck for some money.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:10 PM   #202
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggainey View Post
Sorry if it offends any one but I have to agree. Getting these situations out in the open may keep me or you from getting stuck for some money.
Sorry but I disagree. Why don't we all just start searching through the trader ratings and start posts and threads about every single person we suspect of being a bad trader, get the rope and string them up? To hell with guilt or innocence, they've been accused that's all we need right?

There's a process for people who feel aggrieved, and don't think it's in the spirit of this board what going on in this thread right now

Old 07-30-2009, 04:18 PM   #203
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post
Sorry but I disagree. Why don't we all just start searching through the trader ratings and start posts and threads about every single person we suspect of being a bad trader, get the rope and string them up? To hell with guilt or innocence, they've been accused that's all we need right?

There's a process for people who feel aggrieved, and don't think it's in the spirit of this board what going on in this thread right now
I am not trying to say that here. I think that would be too aggressive but in the case of Dan let's say. If 3 -4 months goes by and you see that 4-5-6 people are giving negative feedback, maybe put up a bulletin or something so people can see if this is affecting them too. Some people forget what they are involved in. I remembered 3 months later that I had purchased from Dan so I began PM'ing him and finally, I got what I ordered but it was damaged. I dont think we need to expose every negative trader rating but if it is blatantly obvious that something is up, I think we owe it to one another to let each other know. If there is a defense (in this case, the accused is silent), it will hopefully be heard. If I know that you are getting screwed on something and I know this because it once happened to me, what kind of person am I if I don't let you know what is or what maybe is up?

Last edited by Scottw; 07-30-2009 at 04:18 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-30-2009, 04:21 PM   #204
bigloo
Crazy like a fox

First Name: Lu
Trading: (27)
Partagas
bigloo will become famous soon enough

This is where the thread derails. I think everyone can agree on the following:

1) Buyer Beware.
2) Contact mods immediately at first signs of problems.
3) If needed, leave negative feedback (just like ebay, negative feedback is so rare here that even one raises my alert level to maximum).
4) Stay classy (no need to lynch anyone in public.. while not likely in these cases, there have been cases were a BOTL disappears with money due to emergency hospitalization/etc).
5) If/when mods have banned the person, feel free to post your feelings like Silverfox did here. Dan was found to be "guilty" and Silverfox made is public, letting the rest of us know, I have no problem with this.

I kind of agree a little with everyone. These acts do need to be brought to the attention of the board but this needs to be done civilly and with some diligence.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:25 PM   #205
bigloo
Crazy like a fox

Partagas

I will actually extend what I said above. When last did you leave truly honest feedback? I did a trade back on CS with a BOTL with like 40 possitive feedback who totally screwed me over. What did I do? I left him a glowing feedback... I personally believe people like this start slipping way before they do their final dissapearing acts but we dont leave truly honest feedback... my 2c.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:27 PM   #206
DavenportESQ
Vaya Con Dios

First Name: David
Trading: (15)
ERdM
DavenportESQ has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigloo View Post
This is where the thread derails. I think everyone can agree on the following:

1) Buyer Beware.
2) Contact mods immediately at first signs of problems.
3) If needed, leave negative feedback (just like ebay, negative feedback is so rare here that even one raises my alert level to maximum).
4) Stay classy (no need to lynch anyone in public.. while not likely in these cases, there have been cases were a BOTL disappears with money due to emergency hospitalization/etc).
5) If/when mods have banned the person, feel free to post your feelings like Silverfox did here. Dan was found to be "guilty" and Silverfox made is public, letting the rest of us know, I have no problem with this.

I kind of agree a little with everyone. These acts do need to be brought to the attention of the board but this needs to be done civilly and with some diligence.

So can we all move on?
Old 07-30-2009, 04:28 PM   #207
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

We are starting to not only drag in other names, but having meta discussions about the meta discussion. Perhaps it is time for this thread to die or close.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:31 PM   #208
bigloo
Crazy like a fox

Partagas

Mark,

If folks want to have a civilized conversation about these incidents, how to prevent them, how to improve things, I see no reason to lock the thread.

Lu
Old 07-30-2009, 04:31 PM   #209
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

It's gettin' real close.....

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 07-30-2009, 04:32 PM   #210
Martin
Sweetness

Trading: (2)
Martin is on a distinguished road

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp_l5ntikaU
Old 07-30-2009, 04:32 PM   #211
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Can't we all just get along?

Old 07-30-2009, 04:33 PM   #212
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
We are starting to not only drag in other names, but having meta discussions about the meta discussion. Perhaps it is time for this thread to die or close.

Insert quote here.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:33 PM   #213
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

A possible compromise may be if next to the trader feedback number a percentage were displayed. I know I've seen this somewhere else, but I'm not sure if this version of vB supports it. Just a suggestion that may permit negative feedback to be more visible (ie, anything not 100%). People should still do their own homework, but a person's trade history would be more visible that way for all to see if you have a deal in the works with him/her or not.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:33 PM   #214
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Mark,

If folks want to have a civilized conversation about these incidents, how to prevent them, how to improve things, I see no reason to lock the thread.

Lu
The Mods discussed Dan long and hard, spoke to lots of affected parties, etc, before all this started. Thus, the thread about Dan was allowed to go forward. Throwing out another name, where all we have seen is negative feedback comments and we have none of the details, is a different matter completely.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 07-30-2009, 04:35 PM   #215
bigloo
Crazy like a fox

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
The Mods discussed Dan long and hard, spoke to lots of affected parties, etc, before all this started. Thus, the thread about Dan was allowed to go forward. Throwing out another name, where all we have seen is negative feedback comments and we have none of the details, is a different matter completely.
Icehog... I agree... see my post above about not lynching. I do however feel if some positive actions came of this like leaving meaningful feedback, early reporting of problems, etc, came out of the thread it would be a positive ending. I agree 100% about dragging other names into this.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:36 PM   #216
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Icehog... I agree... see my post above about not lynching. I do however feel if some positive actions came of this like leaving meaningful feedback, early reporting of problems, etc, came out of the thread it would be a positive ending. I agree 100% about dragging other names into this.
Sorry, Lu, I was just using your post as a jumping off point, not implying that you were supporting the ideas I was discussing.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:38 PM   #217
bigloo
Crazy like a fox

Partagas

Icehog Lu --- all good
Old 07-30-2009, 04:41 PM   #218
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
No offense Lu (and I'll buy your drinks at our next herf if I did inadvertently offend you) but what of the lessons you list is new to anyone here? Does anyone read the stickies?

Why would anyone fail to leave meaningful feedback or trader information and why would anyone who suspects that they were taken remain silent (besides the obvious embarrassment factor)?

I think that this thread, early one, provided a cathartic release for those involved, but it has long since left that behind.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:43 PM   #219
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin View Post
Classic, and so apropos. Lololl

Old 07-30-2009, 04:43 PM   #220
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post

Then I respectfully agree to disagree with you. I would prefer to know is all I am saying, and not just who I "suspect" If some one has negative feedback and no good reason why, I will steer clear of dealing with that person. You prolly apply that same level of being careful on ebay or anywhere else you are spending your money.
Closed Thread