Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 05-18-2013, 08:27 AM   #1
Sadden
Its only money...

First Name: Colin
Trading: (0)
Cohiba
Sadden will become famous soon enough
Default Travel Humidor

Hello all. Im looking for twotravel humidors. (maybe 3)

5 count
20 count
40-50 count

i would like them all to match. Right now im looking at the xikar ones but i see that some people have had issues opening them due to temperature and air pressure differences. Can anyone share thier experiences?

Are there any other brands i should be looking at?
For humidity im going to get heartfelt tubes probably. I love my hcm beads but in this application i think it would be easier to go with heartfelt just for the ease of recharging.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:29 AM   #2
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation
Default Re: Travel Humidor

Ron at Cigar Solutions is top notch.
http://www.cigarsolutions.com/
Old 05-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #3
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Look at unholycocktail.com They have many different ones. Mine holds 40 and got it for $27.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Ron at Cigar Solutions is top notch.
http://www.cigarsolutions.com/

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
FUEL
Just 6 days...

First Name: James
Partagas
FUEL is on a distinguished road

Also consider there are really only two or three companies that make the ones you are looking for. They are just re-branded and either made in the USA or China. I have a 5 and a 10 count Xikar (made in the USA) a 10 count Casa Fuente (made in USA) 15 count orange Herfador (I think thats how its spelled got on Devils site for $15) to match my Texas Longhorns and a 60 count brief case style Herfador (made in China).

Never had an issue with any and use small Boveda packs in them. One thing I humbly suggest is to line them with cedar to help with RH balance. I just took the sheets from my Liga Privada and Undercrown boxes and used those. For the suit case one I simply took the top off an empty Opus X box and put it on the bottom and threw in a 69% RH Boveda bag with a hygro I got at the Devils Site for $15 and it works great.

I honestly can't tell the difference between the made in the USA ones vs. the made in China with the exception of the USA ones plastic being harder which I don't like compared to the China ones as the China ones have a little (very little but noticeable) give to them that absorb a drop better.

A shop in WI has coupons for 25% off all of their travel humis right now including this monster that holds around 250. Suckers insane.

YMMV
Old 05-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #6
Sadden
Its only money...

Cohiba

Looking at cigar caddys right now.
A 5 and 15 and 40 count combo would work for what i need to do.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:11 PM   #7
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Remember that most are rated for Churchills I believe so if u smoke something fatter might hold less
Old 05-19-2013, 07:46 AM   #8
lilninjabuddy
Cigar Ninja

First Name: Derek
Trading: (2)
Montecristo
lilninjabuddy is on a distinguished road

1. Use the little Boveda packs. Easier for this application.
2. The Otterbox style (Cigar Caddy/Herf-a-Dor) are just a hair smaller than the Xikar. I recommend them because I think they're more rugged, but the Zxikar can accommodate a slightly larger rh stick. I personally rarely smoke anything large than 52rg, so there's no issue the for me
3. I don't know about Xikar, but the Herfador/Cigar caddies have a little coin slot to pop open if they get pressurized.
4. Unless you're on a time crunch, watch cbid. I've gotten them around $10 every time.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #9
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

I have a few 5 count herfadors and a large 40 count herfador. The 5 counts are perfectly fine with travel and air pressure differences, unless you have the strength of a wet noodle you should have no problem getting it open after a flight.

The 40 count is another story tho, after a flight I have found that thing suction cupped together so tight even the hulk couldn't open the damn thing. Luckily tho, the 40 counts (atleast mine) has a air release valve on the front of it, you twist it and air rushes in balancing the pressure. Pretty nifty.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:43 AM   #10
Sadden
Its only money...

Cohiba

Worst case scenario one could always run them under some warm water to raise the interior pressure. Just looking around at different reviews and such right now. Got it nailed down to between the cigar caddy (otterbox is an excellent brand and ive seen nothing but poaitive reviews) and the xikar ones. i like the sizing slightly better and its a well known quality brand. Im sure i will be happy whatever way i go.

Probably wont go the boveda route. local b&m doesnt carry them. and im not a fan of being a slave and having to buy all new product every year. And i live in Canada so shipping is a pain in the ass.

I need the 40ct for when i go away for work next month. going to be gone for several weeks.

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:48 AM   #11
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

CigarNut (Michael) sells two ounce bead bags that I've been using in mine for years. Fits right in one of the slots for the sticks and works like a champ.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:16 PM   #12
Sadden
Its only money...

Cohiba

Actually now that you mention it i wouldnt really need to worry about charging the hcm beads. Just throw em in my tower and let the active/passive combo keep em perfect. put em in my travel humis when needed. If i got 6 of the soft bead sticks i could have for each divider in the top shelf of my aristocrat to help keep things leveled out there. And then 1 for each level of the 3 travel humis when needed....

Gonna order a bunch of stuff tommorow. Ill post up when everything gets here.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #13
Sadden
Its only money...

Cohiba

Just ordered the 5 , 15 and 40 count cigar caddys. Along with two stinky ashtrays and a xikar lighter. And six 2oz soft bead sticks from Michael.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:19 AM   #14
shopkins82
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
shopkins82 is on a distinguished road

I've been plenty happy with my 15-stick Cigar Caddy... it just made it back from Vegas along with 2 x 4-stick Black Ops cases. A buddy of mine used a 40-stick Sterilite Ultra-Latch on the same trip (his sticks, mooch sticks, and my over-flow) which worked just fine. In both we had one of the miniature Boveda packs.
shopkins82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:46 AM   #15
shopkins82
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
shopkins82 is on a distinguished road

I didn't realize this until recently, but Cigar Caddy is owned/manufactured by Otter Box... same folks that make the obnoxiously rugged phone cases. In fact, I think my buddy's Samsung Galaxy S3 in an Otter Box is about the same size as one of their 5-stick cases!
shopkins82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:22 PM   #16
Sadden
Its only money...

Cohiba

Guess i should update this thread.

And got some Soft bead sticks from Michael , they sleep in my top drawer and when I need them they just go to the travel humi which they can keep perfect indefinitely.

Went to work for a few weeks and it worked great , the beads weren't 100% dialed in cause I had to leave a couple days before they were perfect , but they maintained RH without moving for 3 weeks.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:54 AM   #17
MorganR

Check out this blog for a good selection of different sizes of cigar humidos https://smokeprofy.com/reviews/best-...igar-humidors/. Also, there are customer reviews and a direct link to buy on Amazon.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:02 AM   #18
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Clicking a link from a newbie is akin to taking candy from strangers in these parts. No thanks.
Old 10-12-2020, 02:55 PM   #19
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

No soup for you!