Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 06-23-2013, 02:46 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Oliva Viejo Mundo

Oliva Viejo Mundo, the old world, what's with that? It is a combination between the old world (Europe) style of making cigars and the new world style of making cigars by the American/Nicaraguan Oliva brand. A combo between the Dutch (dry cigar) culture and the Nicaraguan quality and flavors.

About two years ago Sasja van Horssen, the owner of Longfiller Company, who's also Oliva's European distributer and part of the Studio Tobac executive board, went to Nicaragua with Dutch TV personality Eddy Zoey and the reporters Erik Smit (Elsevier) and Marcel Langedijk (Playboy, JFK) for a promotional tour. A movie of that trip is on youtube
(Dutch spoken, no subs)).

In Nicaragua they visited a few factories including the Oliva factory and Sasja immediately noticed containers full of clippings and found out that those clippings were sold every now and then but that there was no real strategy in monetizing the clippings.

With his Dutch background, where shortfillers are still 98% of the cigars sold on the local market, he and Oliva decided to create a classic Dutch dry cigars but without the traditional Indonesian tobacco and make it a cigar that flavor wise could be from the Caribbean.

Back in The Netherlands Sasja contacted master blender Aart Dooijes who made a beautiful blend with clippings from the Oliva G, O and V series with a Nicaraguan binder and a Cameroon wrapper also used on the G series. Even though it is technically a classic short filled dry cigar, the flavor profile is unheard off and that's what the idea was, it had to be completely different than anything else on the market and the Oliva Viejo Mundo is different.

The initial idea was to make it a European release only, but due to the quality the cigars will be brought to the US market too in due time.

The Oliva Viejo Mundo is available in three sizes (cigarillo, senorita and corona) both in cardboard and in wooden boxes.

Oliva Viejo Mundo cardboard:
Cigarillo (20 cigars)
Senorita (10 cigars)
Corona (10 cigars)

Oliva Viejo Mundo wooden boxes
Cigarillo (50 cigars)
Senorita (25 cigars)
Corona (25 cigars)

Old 06-23-2013, 04:50 AM   #2
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation
Default Re: Oliva Viejo Mundo

Thanks for the info, my friend!!! Always good to hear from you, Don. Maybe, when you come back to the states, you can bring a few, and we can herf them with some bourbon!!!
Old 06-24-2013, 02:06 AM   #3
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

They will be released in the US too

I will probably be in Florida somewhere in januari of februari, I'll be going to Nicaragua and have a week stopover in Southern Florida
Old 12-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (26)
RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about

Has anyone smoked one yet? Just saw it in a catalogue and was intersted. I've not had a "dry" cigar that I know of. What does that mean?
Old 12-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #5
Sweet_Leaf_PDX
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jason
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Sweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enoughSweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Kurtz View Post
Has anyone smoked one yet? Just saw it in a catalogue and was intersted. I've not had a "dry" cigar that I know of. What does that mean?
My understanding is that the curing process of the tobacco makes humidification unnecessary when storing the cigars. So they can be stored anywhere.
Sweet_Leaf_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:27 PM   #6
riverdawg
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (0)
Navy (Served With Honor)
riverdawg is on a distinguished road

I've been working my way through a box of cigarillos and they are quite nice. Very pleasantly surprised that the character of the cammie wrapper comes through inthis tiny size. Slow and easy does it and you won't overheat them.
riverdawg is offline   Reply With Quote