Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 11-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #21
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Red Dawn?

Hope "it" is a tittie.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #22
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I am on the side of LIKING RED DAWN......
I agree that classic doesn't mean one thing exclusively. They Live with Rowdy Roddy Piper?
Great little cheeseball.
Plan 9 is a classic and it sucks.
Talladega Nights is a Terrible Movie, and yet people just can't STOP LOVING IT.

I like Red dawn a lot but always thought it should have been better. Just because it had all the budding new stars
of the day does not mean they were cast to be freaking Oscar candidates. If ANYTHING is bad about this its how
easily they decided to keep Chinese relations in the great state they are by digitally manipulating the right frames.
Hollywood is filled with caricatures of human beings running things, they are scared 5hitless of originality. But you could
easily show them what you think about it. Most choose not to, and go to the theater and see crap du jour every night.
When it is released on DVD in a few weeks, I will do my part as a good American and download it illegally.

if i am a sucker, and I am, it is that I always have hope that now that they CAN, they will make it better.
But of course, then they go out and re-make THE THING just as bad as it could possible be.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:46 PM   #23
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Have to agree, love "Red Dawn" and me and my friends always refer to it as a classic. It hit just when we were in Jr. High and being in the Inter-mountain West, us all being athletes....there were many "Wolverines!!!" yells in our late night running the neighborhood fun.... I still remember the movie fondly and will watch the new one, probably with those same guys, we'll make a day of it.....
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #24
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
They Live with Rowdy Roddy Piper?
Great little cheeseball.
Woke up at 4:00 AM on Monday and couldn't fall back asleep, got up, made coffee and watched about an hour of "They Live".....
Old 11-03-2012, 05:25 PM   #25
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Are you serious??
If so that is hilarious.
One thing about THEY LIVE is, that's all you have to watch of it. I am not sure if I remember whether or not
it peters off fast after that or not. I might have to dig it out tonight for tomorrow's viewing.
Still boycotting Goodell's NFL, so Sunday is always a movie marathon. I hope Goodell has to end up resigning.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #26
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Serious as a heart attack....

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum."
Old 11-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #27
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

After just seeing a preview for Red Dawn (while watching the Ducks foortball game) my wife informed me that we will be seeing it...

She *loves* Chris Hemsworth....

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #28
Bax
C A P S...CAPS CAPS CAPS!

First Name: Tim
Trading: (70)
Partagas
Bax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
Serious as a heart attack....

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum."
Best one liner in movie history Love that flick!
Old 11-04-2012, 08:47 AM   #29
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
But of course, then they go out and re-make THE THING just as bad as it could possible be.
The Thing wasn't a remake, Brad, it was a prequel. The last scene of the "new" one is the first scene of the old one.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 11-04-2012, 08:54 AM   #30
JohnRogers
I Still Ash On My Self

First Name: John
Trading: (0)
AirForce (Active)
JohnRogers is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately movies just like automobiles are now made with Chinese sensibilities in mind. Someone forgot to mention that to the producers prior to shooting the film but yeah a successful North Korean invasion is science fiction.
JohnRogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #31
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
The Thing wasn't a remake, Brad, it was a prequel. The last scene of the "new" one is the first scene of the old one.
I've avoided the new one, thinking it was a remake. Guess I should watch it...... Or should I????
Old 11-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #32
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Red Dawn is a classic
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #33
Jbailey
Brewcifer

First Name: Dave
Trading: (17)
Jbailey has disabled reputation

Years ago when I was still in MI I saw something about making the movie. It was mostly filmed in Detroit. I thought they gave up on it since it took so long.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #34
Catfish
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ MO FUGGA!

First Name: David
Trading: (24)
RA
Catfish has disabled reputation

I'm one of the people that will agree with the movie/ cigar analogy. If you like it, great. If not, don't judge me for liking it because I'm not judging you for disliking it.

I really liked the movie. Not a "watch it everytime I get a chance" like but I have it on DVD and every couple of years or so, will dig it out and watch it.

In comparison, many war movies have never won any big award yet THOUSANDS of DVD's of that movie are in discographies across the country.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #35
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
I've avoided the new one, thinking it was a remake. Guess I should watch it...... Or should I????
If you have 99 cents for the rental and 90 minutes to kill (perfect cigar time), it was relatively entertaining, I liked the first one a lot, so it was interesting to see what went on before that one started.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #36
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
I'm one of the people that will agree with the movie/ cigar analogy. If you like it, great. If not, don't judge me for liking it because I'm not judging you for disliking it.
I'm sorry, I missed the post(s) in this thread where anyone who liked it was judged by those who don't think much of the movie. Would you care to point them out?

The discussion has been entirely about the movie and what defines them.

It's perfectly ok to say you didn't care for "such-and-such cigar" or even that you think it's junk (ref: Gurkha), even in a thread full of praise. Calling someone an idiot for smoking it, on the other hand, is not.

I believe Pnoon posted an analogy at one point in another thread relating to such which went something like: "Ref, bad call." is ok. "Ref, you're a blind moron, bad call." is not.

Last edited by T.G; 11-04-2012 at 05:02 PM.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #37
Catfish
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ MO FUGGA!

First Name: David
Trading: (24)
RA
Catfish has disabled reputation

I must have misunderstood.

I saw the trailer for the remake a couple weeks ago. I was definitely not impressed but in the spirit of liking the old one, i'll at least watch the remake.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:11 PM   #38
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
I must have misunderstood.
Just a bit.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:47 PM   #39
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I am still stuck with having to see the remake...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:20 AM   #40
jonharky
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jon
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
jonharky will become famous soon enough

The only reason why I want to watch it is to see scenes that were filmed in Michigan one place was about 3 blocks from where I grew up in my Clemens Michigan and in Harper woods Michigan and that's it

"I don't want to have it all, I just want to have enough!!
jonharky is offline   Reply With Quote