Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 07-16-2011, 05:17 PM   #1
El Fumador
(Opus X Pig)

First Name: Juan
Trading: (9)
Cohiba
El Fumador is on a distinguished road
Default 30th birthday Cigar 1958 Dunhill

So this is Juan in Maui, it was my 30th birthday on 7-10-11. I have had a 1958 Dunhill in my humidor for several years sitting there waiting to be smoked. It was given to me by my friend in california in the wine country. He bought a lot of 20 pre-embargo's some years back. He asked me to smoke it right away, but just the luster and anticipation tore me apart. Now i've smoked a few amazing aged cubans thanks to some experiences back home, and the gentlemen on this forum. Romeo y Julieta early 60's little cigar, like a petit corona size, some guys here have been very generous putting 70's punch's in samplers I have bought. A gentlemen from here come's to visit the maui herf guys and is so nice to hand us 80's davidoff's I think I've smoked 2 maybe 3 by now 1 of those was given to me from a friend, I let him stay on my coach in Maui for 2 weeks. Those have changed my life..... So the elustrious dunhill sat, and sat, and sat, and look 2 or 3 years is a long time for me guys, I know the pros around here sit on stuff for 20 years, but anyway I was asked to smoke it and couldn't get myself to do it. The guys always gave me ****..... The fears would be that it wouldnt be what I thought it would be, and let down my expectations. And the other was that it would be amazing....

So on to the cigar. It was unlabled and about 4 1/2 to 5 inches, and I'd eye ball a 47 to 48 ring guage. It was rather dark for being so old. I thought the cigar would mellow out in color, but it was very well taken care of, with just a beautiful dark, rich, oily wrapper, no big veins, smooth looking cigar, with a great weight to it when you held it in your hands. The butt of the cigar smelled like an old cuban barn, and it smelled really old.

The light up was incredible, like nothing I've ever experienced. The smoke had a very distinct greyish color almost yellow in tint. A nice thick smoke came out of this cigar which i loved. Draw was absolutely great, and the proceeding of this experience was tremendous. I passed it to Jay, and Daniel, and another friend here on island. The flavours that I picked up on and that were discribed around the cirlce was slight leather tones with a very rich taste of toasted nuts or roasted nuts. Then I got the cigar back and the second quarter of this cigar I just settled in for the ride. It just got more rich and more smooth, flavours started to gradually change. The burn was so even, the ash white and sturdy. And my personal favorite feature about this cigar is that it felt like a pillow when you pressed on it, it was so soft and supple. But yet the draw was amazing, so not over humidified at all, just a soft squeeze on it, I was loving it. Then the 3rd quarter was great, I felt like I was there with the Frank Sinatra and the boys in cuba in the 50's. The cigar was so alive, no harshness at all, so smooth, so rich, now I was just tasting old beautifully aged cuban tobacco and smooth smoky peet whiskey taste. I hope that doesn't sound weird, because I'm not describing some funny flavours like honey, turkish coffee, 70 percent cocoa, pepperoni, and ripe cherries. I did pick up flavours of peanut butter.... Anyway it was such a huge flavour bomb, with so much depth and richness, there was complexity yet it all mesh together like a fine tuned symphony. The last quarter was sad as the cigar started to say good bye, little by little. Still giving sweet satisfaction, and then I reached for the pliers. And smoked this nub to the very last nub, I was nubbing it baby. It did not get the slightest bit of hot, harsh, bitter, pepper. Just stayed true to its greatness until it was no more. So before the 80's davi to me was my everything. Now and internal conflict has risen, what is my holy grail. An 80's davidoff or a 50's Dunhill. The dunhill was more of a sensual smoke, the davi is that big bold wonderful smoke. Anyway this cigar was a masterpiece.......

Then daniel and I smoked a Lost City, while Jay probably smoked some crazy cigar from winston churchills private collection....
El Fumador is offline   Reply With Quote