Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 03-07-2009, 09:09 PM   #341
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Official MMA Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey202 View Post
Did Hamill kill Munoz? What a knock-out. First time I've ever seen a stretcher brought in.
Yeah, helluva KO!
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:28 PM   #342
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

HOLY ****!!!! What a KO by Carwin!
Old 03-07-2009, 10:26 PM   #343
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

Cohiba

What a war between Jardine and Rampage and a GREAT stare down / sh!t talking between Rashad and Rampage.

On another note, Vera looked GREAT! Viscous leg kicks! Looking forward to him at 205 in 09.

Last edited by BengalMan; 03-07-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:52 PM   #344
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
RyJ Army (Served With Honor)
Ken is on a distinguished road

Gonzaga getting KO'd made my year.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:40 PM   #345
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

TapouT Owner Dies in Horrific Ferrari Crash

TMZ has confirmed the owner of the TapouT MMA clothing line died this morning when his ultra-rare $300,000 Ferrari crashed into a light pole, ripping the car in half.

TMZ has learned Charles Lewis Jr. -- aka "Mask" -- was driving his Ferrari Modena in Orange County, Calif. around 1:00 AM this morning when cops say it "left the roadway, hit the curb, took out a light pole."

"Mask" was declared dead at the scene. A female passenger -- who was ejected from the crash -- was taken to a local hospital, but we're told she's in bad shape.

Cops believe "Mask" was racing a guy in a Porsche at the time of the crash, and authorities have since arrested the guy they believe was driving the other car. That man -- Jeffrey David Kirby -- is being held on suspicion of gross vehicular manslaughter.

RIP Mask

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

BJ Penn and his crew will not let this go.

PENN FILES COMPLAINT WITH NSAC
http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/tem ... 7&zoneid=2

After a month of telegraphing their intentions, B.J. Penn and his representatives have filed a formal complaint against Georges St. Pierre.

The 20-page document, filed on Monday with the Nevada State Athletic Commission, requests sanctions against St. Pierre, his cornermen, and other unknown licensees of the commission, and requests a formal hearing into the matter.

The complaint, drafted by Penn legal representative Raffi A. Nahabedian, of the Rosenfeld law firm in Las Vegas, Nevada, alleges that St. Pierre and his camp knowingly used illegal greasing agents to affect the outcome of his fight with Penn at UFC 94 on Jan. 31 in Las Vegas.

Penn succumbed to St. Pierres furious ground and pound attack 20 minutes after their encounter began, with Penns cornermen throwing in the towel between the fourth and fifth rounds.

Controversy erupted inside the cage between the first and second rounds when the NSAC was alerted to the inappropriate use of Vaseline by St. Pierre cornerman Phil Nurse. Officials wiped the welterweight champion down with a towel between rounds and monitored the corner closely until the bouts halt.

The document cites unnamed mixed martial arts fighters who complained about St. Pierres use of greasing agents as evidence of his culpability.

It is Penns belief that the aforementioned strategies were intentional and were orchestrated by Pierre as a means to unfairly and illegally defeat Penn in a regulated and sanctioned championship bout that prohibits the aforementioned conduct and that such calculated actions by Pierre were implemented as a means to prevent Penn from defending himself in a manner consistent with that contemplated in unarmed combat due to the highly and unnaturally slippery nature of Pierre during the bout, the document states.

Penn and his representative also allege that St. Pierre ingested a substance that would cause his body to become highly and unnaturally slippery during the bout.

Nurse, Jackson trainer Greg Jackson, and the unknown parties are named as co-conspirators to St. Pierres use of the agents.

The complaint requests numerous punishments for St. Pierres camp. It asks the commission to fine St. Pierre, Jackson, Nurse, and the unnamed parties up to $250,000; suspend St. Pierres license as well as the licenses of Jackson, Nurse, and the unnamed parties; change the result of the bout to a no contest; and require Pierre undergo a pre-bout shower to make sure no substances exist on his body.

St. Pierres manager, Sherri Spencer, had not read the document and would not comment to MMAWeekly.com until she had reviewed it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A championship battle of undefeated light heavyweights is slated to headline UFC 98, SI.com has confirmed.

Rashad Evans (13-0-1) will defend his UFC belt May 23 against Lyoto Machida (14-0).
Old 03-11-2009, 08:12 PM   #346
Mikey202
Tight Lines !!!!

First Name: Mike
Trading: (6)
SLR Army (Served With Honor)
Mikey202 will become famous soon enoughMikey202 will become famous soon enough

That's what happens when you try to play " Too fast, Too Furious , Tokyo Drift " . R.I.P " Mask.

I hope St. Pierre didn't cheat.

Read that Rampage has torn ligiments in his jaw and a hyperextended elbow.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:42 PM   #347
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

‘Rampage’ injured; Machida gets shot at Evans
By Kevin Iole, Yahoo! Sports

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Quinton “Rampage” Jackson needs surgery on his jaw and won’t be able to fight Rashad Evans as planned on May 23 at UFC 98, UFC president Dana White said.

White said Wednesday that he would give the title shot instead to unbeaten Lyoto Machida.

Jackson said at the postfight news conference for UFC 96 at Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio – in which he won a close decision from Keith Jardine to earn the title shot – that he wasn’t sure he could make it because his jaw was sore.

White said Wednesday that Jackson was examined on Tuesday in Las Vegas and it was discovered he had torn ligaments in his jaw. He also has a hyperextension of his left elbow.

Jackson will have surgery next week and will not be allowed contact for at least five weeks following.

“Rampage deserved the [title shot], but this is an awesome main event,” White said of Evans-Machida, which matches two unbeaten fighters. “A lot of people were complaining to me that Lyoto should have had the shot first. I think it’s going to be a great fight and Rampage can go get himself healthy.”

Evans is 13-0-1, with only a draw against Tito Ortiz marring his record. Machida is 14-0.

Jackson said Saturday that sparring partner Hector “Sick Dog” Ramirez had hit him with an uppercut several days prior to his win over Wanderlei Silva at UFC 92 on Dec. 27 in Las Vegas, injuring his jaw.

Jackson said he didn’t tell White about the injury. Jackson went on to knock out Silva in the first round of that fight, then almost immediately went back into training for the bout with Jardine.

The UFC had planned to make Jackson-Evans the main event of UFC 100, but changed plans on Saturday after learning interim heavyweight champion Frank Mir would be unable to train adequately for a rematch with heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar because of arthroscopic surgery on his knee.

White and matchmaker Joe Silva then decided to move Evans’ title defense to UFC 98, with the proviso that Jackson would get the bout if he won and felt he could make it and Machida would get it if Jackson felt he could not.

It would have been an unusually grueling pace for a top-tier fighter, with three high-level bouts in less than five months. Jackson, though, told White on Saturday: “You know I have your back” and promised he would fight if he could physically do it.

“It’s not the end of the world because we have a great fight to put on,” White said. “It shows you the kind of guy that Rampage is – that he was willing to sacrifice and take this fight because we needed him. You don’t forget things like that.

“But we’re lucky because we have a great fight to put in there and we don’t have problems.”
Old 03-12-2009, 09:06 AM   #348
LordOfWu

R.I.P Mask
Old 03-12-2009, 09:18 AM   #349
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfWu View Post
R.I.P Mask
r.i.p.

on the lighter side, lol ken shamrock suspended for steroids
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:22 AM   #350
goalie204
Have My Own Room

Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

So bj filed an "official" complaint against gsp. His lawyer says ""This was one hundred percent intentional and orchestrated," said attorney Raffi Nahabedian, who filed the complaint on behalf of Penn Monday. "B.J. truly believes that if he (St. Pierre) wasn't as slippery, it would have been a vastly different bout." - LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. So hillarious.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/14237/penn...fc-94-bout.mma
Old 03-25-2009, 09:02 AM   #351
LordOfWu

Fedor fans, this is hillarious!

http://www.cagetoday.com/video-even-...or-in-the-ufc/
Old 03-25-2009, 10:20 AM   #352
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

First Name: Andy
Trading: (7)
HdM
ActionAndy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfWu View Post
Hitler's got a point, I can't take UFC's heavyweight division seriously knowing that Fedor exists.
ActionAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:05 AM   #353
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

Alot of MMA news!

Dana White responds to reports of Affliction’s plans to counter-program UFC 100

If Affliction Entertainment is looking to create a sense of panic from the UFC regarding reported plans to counter-program UFC 100 on July 11, it would appear they will need to do a little more to rattle the cage of UFC President Dana White.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com submitted a request for comment to White via text message Sunday afternoon seeking his response to reports that Affliction is looking to go head-to-head on July 11 with one of the most historic cards in UFC history.

White responded to our request via voicemail and didn’t sound concerned in the least about Affliction’s plans.

“How do I feel about them trying to counter-program UFC 100?,” White began his statement, before continuing, “I love it. I f'ng love it. I love it. I don’t like these guys and I want to see them spend more of their t-shirt money. What they should be worrying about is — they’ve already seen first hand that nobody gives a **** about Affliction MMA — what they need to starting worrying about is nobody wants to wear their goofy f'ng clothes anymore either. The fad is over and they better start saving as much of that t-shirt money as they can.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------

A much discussed rematch between current WEC featherweight champion Mike Brown (17-4 MMA, 3-0 WEC) and the man from whom he took the belt, Urijah Faber (22-2 MMA, 7-1 WEC), has been signed according to a report from FiveOuncesOfPain.com.

According to the report, the bout will headline the as-yet-unannounced WEC 41 event on June 7 at the Arco Arena in Sacramento, Calif.

Brown defied conventional logic in the pair's November 2008 title bout, earning a first-round TKO victory over then-champion Faber. The American Top Team product has since defended the belt in a submission win over Leonard Garcia in the main event of March's WEC 39. The win marked the ninth-straight victory for the 33-year-old.

Affliction 3 on July 11; Fedor and Barnett in Separate Bouts

It will happen...

MMAWeekly.com is reporting that Affliction will indeed hold their third MMA event on July 11, the same night as UFC 100.

The possibility of the July 11 date for Affliction was first reported by fiveouncesofpain.com. The event is planned to be aired on non-premium cable television, not pay-per-view.

The expected match up of top heavyweights Fedor Emelianenko and Josh Barnett will not be taking place at Affliction 3. Sources say the cost of the bout would be too great to be held on free TV. No opponent for either fighter is known at this time. However, sources say Affliction is trying to put together a bout between former UFC Heavyweight Champion Tim Sylvia and Paul Buentello.

The report also debunked other reports claiming the event would be Affliction's last. Affliction Entertainment COO Michael D. Cohen told Versus.com's Ariel Helwani, "It's absolutely untrue... Trump's Affliction Entertainment is going nowhere except to the top, and the company will continue throughout 2009 and well into 2010."

The Japanese-based DREAM organization today announced a number of DREAM.8 bouts, including a heavyweight matchup of Jeff Monson (28-8) vs. Sergey Kharitonov (16-3) and the opening-round bouts for its eight-man welterweight grand prix.

The show, DREAM.8, takes place at Nippon Gaishi Hall in Nagoya, Japan.

The event broadcast debuts in North America on April 10 at 10 p.m. EST on HDNet.

In addition to Monson vs. Kharitonov, DREAM also officially announced the previously reported addition of PRIDE and EliteXC veteran Murilo "Ninja" Rua (16-9-1) to the card. He'll take on Dong Sik Yoon (4-6) in a middleweight bout.

Also in non-tournament action is a middleweight bout between Andrews Nakahara (1-1) and Shungo Oyama (7-11), who is a late replacement for Zelg Galesic (9-4).

In tournament action, the eight-man grand prix is headed by an intriguing and previously reported rematch between WAMMA lightweight champion Shinya Aoki (20-3) and Hayato "Mach" Sakurai (34-8-2). The two fighters first met at an August 2005 Shooto event, and Aoki suffered a close unanimous-decision loss; it's one of only three career losses for the former PRIDE fighter and 2008 DREAM lightweight grand prix runner-up.

Other DREAM welterweight grand-prix bouts include UFC veteran John Alessio (24-12) vs. Andre Galvao (2-0), one-time Affliction fighter Jason High (6-1) vs. Yuya Shirai (15-7), and Seichi Ikemoto (18-14-5) vs. Marius Zaromskis (8-2).

The full DREAM.8 card now includes:

Shinya Aoki vs. Hayato "Mach" Sakurai
Ikuhisa "Minowaman" Minowa vs. Katsuyori Shibata
Hideo Tokoro vs. DJ.taiki
Yuya Shirai vs. Jason High
Marius Zaromskis vs. Seichi Ikemoto
Andre Galvao vs. John Alessio
Murilo "Ninja" Rua vs. Dong Sik Yoon
Andrews Nakahara vs. Shungo Oyama
Sergey Kharitonov vs. Jeff Monson

Akihiro Gono has been rumored that he was fired from the UFC (he was released) since he said he was currently looking for a job at Sengoku.7 on March 20.

Dream Event Producer Keiichi Sasahara commented about Gono after the press conference at Deep official Gym in Tokyo on March 26. "He is a very attractive fighter because he has unique individuality. I believe he can attract and bring more fans into Dream. We have our first welterweight champion in July, and I want him to fight our champion for the welterweight belt."

The main event for UFC 101 has been set, and lightweight champion BJ Penn will defend his title against Kenny Florian on August 8 in Philadelphia.

MMA Weekly reports that Penn said on his own web site that it's official, and that Penn will make his first title defense since May of 2008. Lately Penn has seemed to be obsessed with getting justice for what he perceives as cheating by Georges St. Pierre during their fight at UFC 94, but now Penn says he's ready to turn all his attention to facing Florian.

Said Florian, "I am looking forward to testing myself against one of the greatest -- if not the greatest -- lightweight fighter in the world."

Other fights expected to be part of the UFC 101 card include:

Forrest Griffin vs. Thiago Silva
Josh Neer vs. Kurt Pellegrino
Thiago Tavares vs. Melvin Guillard
Matt Riddle vs. Dan Cramer
Danillo Villefort vs. Jesse Lennox

UFC Fight Night 18 this Wednesday night @ 8pm Live from Nashville.

Matchups:

Carlos Condit vs. Martin Kampmann
Efrain Escudero vs. Jeremy Stephens
Ryan Bader vs. Carmelo Marrero
Cole Miller vs. Junie Allen Browning
Tyson Griffin vs. Rafael dos Anjos
Ricardo Almeida vs. Matt Horwich
Brock Larson vs. Jesse Sanders
Jorge Rivera vs. Nissen Osterneck
Rob Kimmons vs. Joe Vedepo
Tim McKenzie vs. Aaron Simpson
Steve Steinbeiss vs. Ryan Jensen

The new season of The Ultimate Fighter premiers after the fights. This season is the US vs. the UK.

WEC 40 this Sunday night!

WEC Bantamweight Championship
Miguel Torres vs. Brian Bowles

Jeff Curran vs. Joseph Benavidez
Benson Henderson vs. Shane Roller
Manny Tapia vs. Akitoshi Tamura
Cub Swanson vs. Diego Nunes
Rafael Dias vs. Cole Province
Old 04-01-2009, 12:18 PM   #354
KASR
El Guapo!

Bolivar
KASR is on a distinguished road

I don't know about anyone else - but I'm pretty geeked about the Shamrock v. Diaz fight at a catchweight of 179lb.
KASR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:11 PM   #355
goalie204
Have My Own Room

Bolivar

me2, but i don't know what geeked means, so i'm just looking forward to it
Old 04-02-2009, 07:10 AM   #356
TheLostGringo
Wish I had a Dr. Pepper

First Name: Roger
Trading: (16)
HUpmann
TheLostGringo will become famous soon enoughTheLostGringo will become famous soon enough

Great fight last night between Carlos Condit & Martin Kampman!! I really expected Condit to win fairly easy, biy was I wrong. Kampman was amazing and got the hard fought decision. One of the most intriguing fights I have seen in years.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:04 AM   #357
KASR
El Guapo!

Bolivar
KASR is on a distinguished road

Great strikeforce event last night! The Scott Smith and Benji Radach fight was awesome - lots of drama!
KASR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:47 PM   #358
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

Quote:
Originally Posted by KASR View Post
Great strikeforce event last night! The Scott Smith and Benji Radach fight was awesome - lots of drama!
Smith pulls another out of his arse. It's time for Frank Shamrock to retire. He looked really bad against Diaz. Really bad.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:42 AM   #359
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
RyJ Army (Served With Honor)
Ken is on a distinguished road

Jason McDonald cut with a few others from the UFC. I know McDonald has last his last few, but he has some talent and a much better fighter than many that get to linger around for some odd reason. He should make a good pay check in Strike Force; I'm betting they pick him up.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:20 PM   #360
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

First Name: Andy
Trading: (7)
HdM
ActionAndy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
Jason McDonald cut with a few others from the UFC. I know McDonald has last his last few, but he has some talent and a much better fighter than many that get to linger around for some odd reason. He should make a good pay check in Strike Force; I'm betting they pick him up.

I've liked The Athlete since I first saw him fight. That's a shame.
ActionAndy is offline   Reply With Quote