Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 09-16-2011, 10:57 PM   #1
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough
Default Mold on expensive B&M sticks.

I was recently in a B&M and most of their Padron anni's were all moldy, it was really a lot of mold. I did not say anything as I figured they probably thought it was "plume" and they would disagree. Do you ever see mold in B&M's? This was a pretty large one and well known in the area, so I was kind of surprised to see mold in there. Also the whole store is the humidor which I thought was strange and possibly part of the problem...
Old 09-16-2011, 11:01 PM   #2
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation
Default Re: Mold on expensive B&M sticks.

I would say something or buy somewhere else. Even if they disagree at least you did your part. Maybe take some pics for us?
Old 09-16-2011, 11:05 PM   #3
Zeuceone
You're next

First Name: G
Trading: (16)
LGC
Zeuceone has disabled reputation

Common with higher priced sticks as they don't sell as often. Due to constant traffic the humidity is kept higher to keep sticks from drying out. The padrons at one of the B&M's around here have the same issue. The filler is so moist its bursting our of the wrapper.

Its always the ones that don't come in cello that get moldy.
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:08 PM   #4
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

First Name: Matt
Trading: (20)
HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough

Yeah, a couple of the VSG's were starting to burst a little at my local B&M.
Mattso3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:10 PM   #5
Matt-N-Ga
MattGah

First Name: Matt
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Matt-N-Ga will become famous soon enough

I've seen this several times with exactly the same sticks. Each time I mentioned something about it, I was informed that it was "Plume", a sign of a great cigar. I kept my mouth shut and bought nothing and have never been back.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:25 PM   #6
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

They will tell you it's plume every time.

There are always some moldy sticks in B&Ms they just push them off on unknowing people. Tell them it's plume and they are the best sticks in the walk in.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:28 AM   #7
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I'd zip my lip, leave, and never return. I've found there's a never-ending stream of sources that sell cigars without mold, don't play the always-tiring plume game, and are willing to bend over backwards properly taking care of their cigars and customers.
I mean seriously, if they don't have the mental capacity to take care of a cigar, how in God's glorious name ae they gonna handle a customer with a problem? Real poorly, that's how.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:39 AM   #8
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

B&M mold is better than internet mold!
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:51 AM   #9
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
They will tell you it's plume every time.

There are always some moldy sticks in B&Ms they just push them off on unknowing people. Tell them it's plume and they are the best sticks in the walk in.
That's painting with a very broad brush Bill.

I won't deny that there are a number who will behave that way, whether it is out of greed or lack of knowledge, I don't know, nor do I know what percentage of B&Ms operate this way, but I do know for a fact that not all B&M owners/operators/staff are like that.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:48 AM   #10
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

That's sad, you put your trust in local B&M's and try to support them and they do that...it's just disappointing.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:52 AM   #11
cmitch
Heads up get down

First Name: Clayton
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice

Every mold instance I found in a B&M was responded with, "that's plume!"
I quit saying anything to any ofthem.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:04 AM   #12
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

PL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
I would say something or buy somewhere else. Even if they disagree at least you did your part. Maybe take some pics for us?
I thought of taking Pix but figured it would be a little too conspicuous. I do not live in the area so cannot go back anyway. I thought it was really strange that the whole place was a humidor.
Posted via Mobile Device
LostAbbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:18 AM   #13
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I think it depends upon how well you know the B&M employees. There is one B&M where I know the people pretty well and when I once saw some mold I pointed it out to them. They checked the cigars, gently wiped them down and gave me a couple of free sticks (not the moldy ones)

There are other local B&M's that I would not say anything if I saw mold because the employees are just there to take up space...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:24 AM   #14
jsnake
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jake
Trading: (22)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
jsnake will become famous soon enoughjsnake will become famous soon enough

I have a local where the entire inside of the building is humidified. And the humidity is crazy high. They have a pretty good selection and their prices are okay. I found some HTF Tats and they were all covered in mold. As I looked around I found more and more moldy cigars. It is so obvious that they have to know it is there and what it is.

What can you really say or do? It is their business and if they don't want to have pride in their store I have other options. I shouldn't have to point out the obvious to them. Had it been one or two sticks I might have said hey look at this in case they hadn't noticed. But when it is an epidemic they just don't care apparently.
jsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:04 AM   #15
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

PL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnake View Post
I have a local where the entire inside of the building is humidified. And the humidity is crazy high. They have a pretty good selection and their prices are okay. I found some HTF Tats and they were all covered in mold. As I looked around I found more and more moldy cigars. It is so obvious that they have tow know it is there and what it is.

What can you really say or do? It is their business and if they don't want to have pride in their store I have other options. I shouldn't have to point out the obvious to them. Had it been one or two sticks I might have said hey look at this in case they hadn't noticed. But when it is an epidemic they just don't care apparently.
That was the case here, there was a lot of mold in multiple boxes and I noticed it after a cursory look, so I figure the people who work there should have seen it. I think that if I knew people who worked there then it would have been a different story. This was my dads favorite store and we went while I was visiting, so I most Likly will not be going back and next time will go to ka nicer downtown store.
Posted via Mobile Device
LostAbbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:00 PM   #16
Tbagley
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Tom
Trading: (0)
Tbagley is on a distinguished road

You would think that they would know better and is no better way than putting down their business.
Tbagley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:07 PM   #17
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of other places to spend your money.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:10 PM   #18
jovenhut
Feeling at Home

First Name: Bruce
Trading: (64)
jovenhut will become famous soon enough

I love moldy sticks! I wipe them off and smoke em. There is so much crap in our air a little mold won't hurt you. . I also live in Oregon. There is mold everywhere!
Old 09-17-2011, 01:21 PM   #19
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (26)
RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about

I've seen it locally on Padron annys as well. Just didn't buy any. They were in the top of separate cabinets (that they can keep an eye on). I did however, score some pretty nice brickhouses from the walk-in.

I didn't feel like it was my place to point it out to them. I just made an alternative selection and moved on. Sucks because they have great prices on Padron....

I'm glad I am a member of this great community and knew the difference.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:19 PM   #20
Tbagley
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Tom
Trading: (0)
Tbagley is on a distinguished road

Or a better course of action is comment on their nice plume and leave on that note.
Tbagley is offline   Reply With Quote