Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 07:05 AM   #241
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: NHL '10 - '11 Thread

Forgot to mention the Wings/Avs game. I only caught the 3rd, OT, & SO. I have to say I think the SO is wearing thin. Not because we lost, but it's novelty has worn off quite a bit. Not that I have a better suggestion on to how to break a tie, just not loving the SO. What do you think?
Old 10-13-2010, 08:17 AM   #242
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
I saw that hit on youtube. IMO it was a dirty hit. The victim didn't have the puck, nor was he even near it. He was hit from behind. The angle Niklas Hjalmarsson may not have a history of this kind of play but it was pretty bad.
You are listening too hard to the "homer" Buffalo announcer, Mike...Nik arrived right as the puck arrived to Pomminville's feet. Unfortunate, yes, but dirty....no way. If you call that hit dirty, then Kronwall's hit on Havlat a couple seasons ago was criminal.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 10-13-2010, 08:50 AM   #243
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

'victim'....'criminal'....

Comon guys, this is Hockey, not the NBA.

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:23 AM   #244
Prefy
Connoisseur of Pucks

First Name: Matt
Trading: (5)
Bolivar
Prefy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
You are listening too hard to the "homer" Buffalo announcer, Mike...Nik arrived right as the puck arrived to Pomminville's feet. Unfortunate, yes, but dirty....no way. If you call that hit dirty, then Kronwall's hit on Havlat a couple seasons ago was criminal.
There was no doubt it was a dirty hit. The puck was there but it was clearly, a board and a hit from behind. Right after I saw the hit I said 2 games(and so did a couple IceHogs that I was sitting with), which is what he deserved and what he got.

The problem with hockey suspensions and the NHL is that consitency is not one of their strong points at least as of late. It would be interesting to sit in on one of these disciplinary hearings at some point to see hwo things go down. Maybe I will be able to do that one day
Old 10-13-2010, 10:43 AM   #245
Will herf for food

VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Upon a closer look the puck was at his feet. It was passed to Pominville and Hjalmarsson got there pretty much right as the puck did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-4aH7nnPjc

Hjalmarsson did hit him from behind, not directly behind, more of a 45 degree angle from behind and to the side. Hjalmarsson hit Pominville where Pominville could not have been expected to see him coming.

Havlat was circling. He was skating forward, facing Kronwall when he was hit; both his body and his head. Havlat was skating, turned his head to find the puck to his right as he circled left, it went between his legs as he straightened out along the boards, so he looked down to find it, and then looked up just as Kronwall was about to hit him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KJm-qcnnC0

And, his feet were on the ice when contact was made...

That said I don't think Hjalmarsson was trying to hurt him. He just took a bad angle on a well timed hit.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:28 PM   #246
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prefy View Post
There was no doubt it was a dirty hit.
We will have to agree to disagree, Matt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
Upon a closer look the puck was at his feet. It was passed to Pominville and Hjalmarsson got there pretty much right as the puck did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-4aH7nnPjc

Hjalmarsson did hit him from behind, not directly behind, more of a 45 degree angle from behind and to the side. Hjalmarsson hit Pominville where Pominville could not have been expected to see him coming.

Havlat was circling. He was skating forward, facing Kronwall when he was hit; both his body and his head. Havlat was skating, turned his head to find the puck to his right as he circled left, it went between his legs as he straightened out along the boards, so he looked down to find it, and then looked up just as Kronwall was about to hit him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KJm-qcnnC0

And, his feet were on the ice when contact was made...

That said I don't think Hjalmarsson was trying to hurt him. He just took a bad angle on a well timed hit.
I know the Kronwall hit wasn't dirty and was from the front, I was exaggerating to make my point, Mike, but you are right on all counts on that one. I agree that Nik wasn't trying to hurt P'ville and it was an unfortunate result.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 10-13-2010, 06:07 PM   #247
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

Luls. I still say there was a second shooter on the grassy knoll.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:43 AM   #248
Prefy
Connoisseur of Pucks

First Name: Matt
Trading: (5)
Bolivar
Prefy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
We will have to agree to disagree, Matt.

I know the Kronwall hit wasn't dirty and was from the front, I was exaggerating to make my point, Mike, but you are right on all counts on that one. I agree that Nik wasn't trying to hurt P'ville and it was an unfortunate result.
Just to confirm...

If you or one of the blawkhawks players was hit like that you would consider it clean?
Old 10-14-2010, 01:26 PM   #249
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prefy View Post
Just to confirm...

If you or one of the blawkhawks players was hit like that you would consider it clean?
I am not disputing that it was an illegal hit, Matt...I take issue with calling it "dirty", as I don't believe Nik intended to hit him from the side like that.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:59 PM   #250
hammer26a

Clean hit, but yes unfortunate results. I have to say though that I miss the days of Vladimir Konstantinov... that guy could destroy some dudes on the ice

Old 10-14-2010, 02:02 PM   #251
Will herf for food

VR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer26a View Post
Clean hit, but yes unfortunate results. I have to say though that I miss the days of Vladimir Konstantinov... that guy could destroy some dudes on the ice
I'm with you 100000%. He was one of the most feared players on the ice. I remember him getting checked through the glass, I believe it was Roenick who hit him, and he climbed back over the wall with a smile on his face. Kronwall reminds me of him at times with the way he times his hits and his propensity to throw a good hip-check. Different players no doubt, but hit a little bit alike.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:11 PM   #252
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

I remember a few dirty hits from Comrade Konstantinov back in the day....Like him knocking several of Jocelyn Lemeiux's teeth out with a crosscheck to the mouth. Enjoyed the next game against Vlady too, when Dirk Graham beat the ever-loving crap outta him as a little retribution for Lemeiux.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:40 AM   #253
Will herf for food

VR

Man I loved watching that guy play.

Konstantinov hits Claude Lemieux
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO1uhorF5LA

Konstantinov hits Peter Forsberg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CX9b...eature=related

Konstantinov lays out Dale Howerchuck & Shanahan scores 97 cup finals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqOcV...eature=related

Other random NHL hits, 10 min video compilation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUOj-...layer_embedded
Old 10-15-2010, 07:47 AM   #254
kazzaca

Konstantinov was a beast, I loved watching him especially come playoff time. He and Federov had a way of taking it to the next level in the playoffs, it was crazy. That accident was a terrible shame...

Old 10-15-2010, 07:57 AM   #255
kazzaca

If I can put in my two cents, I don't think the hit on P'ville was dirty, it just had an unfortunate outcome. Claude Lemieux on Kris Draper (yeah I know it was a long time ago)...now THAT was dirty!!!

I think the way we perceive hits in hockey has a lot changed over the last 5 years. Scott Stevens would absolutely destroy guys and nobody would say a thing. I'm not sure if he could play like that nowadays.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:24 AM   #256
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazzaca View Post
I think the way we perceive hits in hockey has a lot changed over the last 5 years. Scott Stevens would absolutely destroy guys and nobody would say a thing. I'm not sure if he could play like that nowadays.
That's true, Stevens would often go for the head with his shots (think Lindros), and that is not legal anymore in the NHL. Too many careers being ended early.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g55Co-EBKys

Old 10-15-2010, 08:28 AM   #257
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
I remember a few dirty hits from Comrade Konstantinov back in the day....Like him knocking several of Jocelyn Lemeiux's teeth out with a crosscheck to the mouth. Enjoyed the next game against Vlady too, when Dirk Graham beat the ever-loving crap outta him as a little retribution for Lemeiux.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxWiRen3VTc

Old 10-15-2010, 09:37 AM   #258
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

If only that accident never happened. Probably would have had Lidstrom and him competing against each other for Norris trophies.

And the guy is Russian, how can you not expect some dirty hits from him
Old 10-20-2010, 10:51 AM   #259
mtaill
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
mtaill is on a distinguished road

Konstantinov gets rocked HARD by Lindros...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvioR...eature=related
Old 10-20-2010, 10:58 AM   #260
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

I know its early in the season and we have a new goaltender but the Sharks look very weak on the D.
Boyle just doesnt look like himself (lots of turnovers), Vlasic is getting smoked. And Niemi is letting way to many shots get in the net.
Its early. I will be patient
Closed Thread