Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 02-28-2010, 09:48 PM   #1
joapepchi

Default Newby to the forums and need advice on a new humidor

Have currently a 150 ct humidor I purchased some time ago from an online cigar retailer (cheaphumidors.com I believe). Not holding humidity any more even after re-seasoning it. I would like to upgrade and was wondering if anyone could recommend some of the better quality humidor manufacturers.

Thanks,
Old 02-28-2010, 10:40 PM   #2
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Newby to the forums and need advice on a new humidor

Hey.
Welcome to the Asylum! Be sure to post an introduction in the "New Inmate" sub-forum and let us get to know a little more about you!

As for your question, I would still shop with cheaphumidors.com. They do sell quality humidors, for in expensive prices. It seems that your older humidor may just not be holding humidification correctly due to simple ware and tare. How long have you been trying to season it for? How old is it? These questions might help to fix the problem a little more before spending more money on another desktop.

-MJ
Old 02-28-2010, 10:47 PM   #3
leasingthisspace

Welcome to the greatest place on earth.

I have a few questions. What type of humidifaction are you using? How do you know it is not holding humidty? Have you salt tested your hydro lately? You maybe able to just put a little bit of tape around the inside edge of the top and it may be snug also.

Maybe take a pic or two and post those so we know what it looks like.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:14 PM   #4
amyelizabeth

... What the guys said above!

Also, we've got three humidors and a cooleridor. The cooler turned cigar storage vessel keeps RH perfectly--better than any of our humidors, and it's got a lot more space. I, too, would be very interested to know what humidification method you're using; we use Heartfelt beads, and they're wonderful.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:28 PM   #5
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

If it is an all wood humidor you can check the seal by placing a flashlight inside and looking around the edges for a light leak. For glass tops, place a dollar bill between the top and bottom. If you find a place where the bill slips out easily cut a few thin strips of masking tape on the spot and this should help the seal.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:10 AM   #6
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

If The Above Advice Doesn't Work & You Still Want To Buy A New Humidor, This Is A Great One That I Have & Holds RH Very Well:
http://www.cheaphumidors.com/HUM-200DL.html

Also Ed (waxing moon on the forum) makes some beautiful humis himself.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:28 AM   #7
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Here's One Of Ed's Humis: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...referrerid=370
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:07 PM   #8
joapepchi

I'm using heartfelt beads 65% (one large and one small) in a 150 count humidor:

http://www.cheaphumidors.com/HUM-100D.html

Which I bought over three years ago. Currently holding at around 55% humidity even though I calibrated my digital hygro a couple weeks ago hitting at 73%. I also re-seasoned my humidor about a month ago but you can still feel a loose seal on the humidor. I think it's a type of situation where I should have spent the money on a better quality humidor. I'm also very intrigued by the Waxing Moon humidors. I'm guessing they make some quality humi's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leasingthisspace View Post
Welcome to the greatest place on earth.

I have a few questions. What type of humidifaction are you using? How do you know it is not holding humidty? Have you salt tested your hydro lately? You maybe able to just put a little bit of tape around the inside edge of the top and it may be snug also.

Maybe take a pic or two and post those so we know what it looks like.