Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 07-31-2014, 08:33 AM   #1
Firemedic
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Firemedic is on a distinguished road
Default Collecting Cigars Question

Hello everyone! It's been a while here since I've posted, but needless to say I've been working my butt off to fund my cigar addiction! Last night my neighbor and I got in a discussion after seeing the 2014 Opus22 release information. He and I both wondered if long term collecting of cigars really has any financial value to them? Don't get me wrong, I have a few cigars that are older and hard to get and yet enjoy once in a while. But is there any real increase in financial value as some of these various releases get older? Otherwise, I'll just keep having that rare smoke tucked away to showoff and then one day smoke!
Firemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:48 AM   #2
equetefue
Liga Privada Hoarder

First Name: Edwin
Trading: (17)
Partagas AirForce (Disabled Vet)
equetefue has a spectacular aura aboutequetefue has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Collecting Cigars Question

don't think there would be any benefit other than the one of smoking an amazingly well rested cigar a few years down the road with the company of a good friend and drink.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:37 AM   #3
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

First Name: Neil
Trading: (26)
Partagas
nutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nice

Agreed - even untouched boxes of premium cigars are difficult for individuals to sell for profit. This doesn't mean they don't command absurd prices at times. Most of us are not likely to live long enough to reap the reward, and there is not likely to be another event like the Cuban embargo do drive them up based on rarity alone.

Mot a bad investment for yourself, as rising taxes and prices will make cigars in general pricier over time
nutcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:45 PM   #4
Buckeye Jack
Havana Daydreamin'

First Name: Jack
Trading: (34)
HUpmann
Buckeye Jack has a spectacular aura aboutBuckeye Jack has a spectacular aura about

I have been buying/smoking/collecting cigars since 1997. Lets say if I had bought as much stuff as I could get my hands on in 1997......assuming that I could buy stuff with at least 2-3 years age on them already (like I can today).

Based on history, NC's would really not command much profit other than some select series such as OR Anejo's and Padron Millenniums for instance.

The CC's (we are talking regular lines here, not special releases) however would command A HUGE profit. Someone who has a little better knowledge on exact prices could give some numbers. I have personally seen Mid 1990's Cohiba Robustos (which assuming they were around the same price new back then) go from around $14 a stick back then to hundreds of dollars per stick now.....

Again, depends on particular sticks and how they have aged as well.
Buckeye Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:48 PM   #5
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

NC's, there's very little to no financial upside at all. Most don't age well, either.
CC's become more valuable with age. They also age very well, and folks regularly pay a premium (and are happy to do so) to land a certain vintage. They're a very good investment and one of the few hobbies that isn't a one-way money sucker.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:16 AM   #6
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
They're a very good investment and one of the few hobbies that isn't a one-way money sucker.
That only works if you don't light them on fire like I do.

Last edited by jonumberone; 08-01-2014 at 05:25 AM.
jonumberone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:35 AM   #7
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

For NC's there are a few like Opus that would increase value over time, but best investment cigars are from Cuba. Safest bets are the humidors, Regional, Limited Edition, or top shelf production cigars like Cohiba, Sir Winston, Trinidad, Vegas Robaina, and cigars that don't sit long in the store like Monte 2's...
Old 08-01-2014, 07:59 AM   #8
czerbe
Just a Traveling Man

First Name: Corey
Trading: (2)
Partagas
czerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura about

I don't collect cigars I smoke them!! As far as them being an investment that has never really crossed my mind, I can't imagine paying more then MSRP for a cigar, and I'm not one to hunt down Rare or HTF stuff just to have it, there are so many great cigars out there right now that I don't need to find something that is older then myself... Now that being said I did have about 4 fingers of Johnny Walker Blue last night LOL
Old 08-01-2014, 10:11 AM   #9
BlackIrish
MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firemedic View Post
Hello everyone! It's been a while here since I've posted, but needless to say I've been working my butt off to fund my cigar addiction! Last night my neighbor and I got in a discussion after seeing the 2014 Opus22 release information. He and I both wondered if long term collecting of cigars really has any financial value to them? Don't get me wrong, I have a few cigars that are older and hard to get and yet enjoy once in a while. But is there any real increase in financial value as some of these various releases get older? Otherwise, I'll just keep having that rare smoke tucked away to showoff and then one day smoke!

If you're thinking about buying some cigars in the hope that they'll increase in value, CCs are the way to go. It can happen with NCs, but IMHO, OpusX aren't the way to go, because they're released every year and it's hard to find a compelling reason to pay a lot more (on top of an already steep MSRP) for a 2014 Opus22 when you can buy the current release.

When I've seen NC cigars appreciate in value, it's because they're pretty special cigars that are hard to find. Some of the early special Tatuajes, for instance (I'm thinking T110 and Pork Chop), can command a premium, and some early special edition Viajes did too. But there's a fair bit of guesswork and risk involved.

On the bright side, I've generally found that collection-worthy NC cigars *hold* their value. If you buy a special box because you want to smoke them, and later decide they no longer suit your palate, or if you need to liquidate to get some cash or buy new cigars, you often can recover your costs or at least come close.

But I buy cigars to smoke, not collect, so I may just be talking out my a$$.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:15 AM   #10
RWhisenand
Feeling at Home

First Name: Rob
Trading: (7)
Punch AirForce (Served With Honor)
RWhisenand will become famous soon enough

If you're collecting cigars in order to make a profit, you have many more, and better investment vehicles at your disposal than cigars. If you're collecting for your own enjoyment, than you should see a nice return, if not monetary.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:11 PM   #11
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

I have never seen the prices of cigars (or many other things) go down when you want to buy them again. Whether that is an investment or inflation; don't know.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:18 PM   #12
jsnake
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jake
Trading: (22)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
jsnake will become famous soon enoughjsnake will become famous soon enough

I think they increase in trade value for sure and potentially selling value. If you have a full box of something that was expensive to begin with you may have trouble selling it for a higher amount. But take singles and fivers and you may make some money. I am not saying to go price gouge other brothers but there are certain limited edition hard to find sticks that I have paid double price for and I do not regret it. I see no problem with this since someone had what I wanted and I was willing to pay their asking price. Sure I would have loved MSRP or a cheaper price but I knew it might be a missed opportunity if I passed it by.

Look on eBay at Liga Privada stuff and the absolutely ridiculous prices people are selling them for. It is insane and to me what is even more insane is that people actually buy them. I do draw a line at a certain point.

I think you would get more bang for your buck trade wise though. I took some HTF stuff from just a few years ago and traded for a large lot of HTF sticks I was really interested in. He got what he wanted and I got what I wanted.

Regardless I am in this to smoke and make friends and not to make a profit as a collector. To me it is all about the chase and finding those things I want and enjoying them on a special occasion.
jsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:17 AM   #13
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonumberone View Post
That only works if you don't light them on fire like I do.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:57 PM   #14
mikesr1963
CAO FLATHEAD

First Name: Mister
Trading: (0)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
mikesr1963 has disabled reputation

An investment is made on something that will be worth something should the stock market lose its ass again. Meaning, should it fall again who would be willing to trade you goods and services for a cigar? No one. Maybe someone else who collects cigars, but guess what, they too will have a bunch of worthless sticks they will try and use to buy a loaf of bread with.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:10 PM   #15
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

=\
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote