Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 02-07-2017, 10:41 PM   #1
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Oliva Serie V Melanio torpedo

I'm not a fan of the Oliva V. But the ratings of the Melanio have been so high that I decided to grab a couple and try them out.

Nice looking cigar. Veiny but evenly colored wrapper. Good draw.

First few draws...strong spice in the nostrils. Short, leathery finish.

About 1" in...the spice in the nostrils has taken on a woodsy flavor. Full "strength". It's a bit too much, but not intolerable.

About 2" in..."strength" has settled down a bit. The spice in the nostrils has subsided. Woodsy flavor is still present, and a bit of sweetness has crept in on the finish. Enjoying the cigar so far.

About halfway...about the same. Nice flavor, nice aroma, but not a world rocker.

A little past halfway...a slight chemical flavor on the finish. This is the same reason I didn't like the original Oliva V. Tossed the cigar just past the halfway point.

Final thoughts...this cigar was ROTT, so I will let the other one sit for a while before making a final judgment. But honestly, I didn't think all that much of this cigar overall.

Old 02-08-2017, 03:08 AM   #2
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future
Default Re: Oliva Serie V Melanio torpedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by borndead1 View Post
I'm not a fan of the Oliva V. But the ratings of the Melanio have been so high that I decided to grab a couple and try them out.

Nice looking cigar. Veiny but evenly colored wrapper. Good draw.

First few draws...strong spice in the nostrils. Short, leathery finish.

About 1" in...the spice in the nostrils has taken on a woodsy flavor. Full "strength". It's a bit too much, but not intolerable.

About 2" in..."strength" has settled down a bit. The spice in the nostrils has subsided. Woodsy flavor is still present, and a bit of sweetness has crept in on the finish. Enjoying the cigar so far.

About halfway...about the same. Nice flavor, nice aroma, but not a world rocker.

A little past halfway...a slight chemical flavor on the finish. This is the same reason I didn't like the original Oliva V. Tossed the cigar just past the halfway point.

Final thoughts...this cigar was ROTT, so I will let the other one sit for a while before making a final judgment. But honestly, I didn't think all that much of this cigar overall.

According To My Friend Scott (Shilala), All The Olivas Do Great After 1-1.5 Years Of Rest. A Fantastic Cigar After That!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 04:41 AM   #3
mahtofire14
Chillin in the Aging Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
mahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the rough

I agree with Longknocker and Shilala on this. I let a box of master blend 3s sit for a little over a year and they are still one of the best cigars I've smoked after that slight aging. I like them rotb but they mellow out a bit after some age. Also the V Maduros do really well with age.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:38 PM   #4
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

I love the Oliva V & Melanios. Do not care for the G or O lines though. And Master Blends are pretty good too.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:20 PM   #5
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

They are a great smoke with some age
Old 02-08-2017, 05:31 PM   #6
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

I used to smoke a few of their line. It will be interesting being in FL where there isn't the 865% tax (ok not that bad but damn close) on cigars, probably be trying out a few more sticks that would be more reasonably priced.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:59 PM   #7
Flynnster
Life's too short Swishers

Trading: (7)
Flynnster has a spectacular aura aboutFlynnster has a spectacular aura about

Just put a box (my first box) of the maduro torpedos down to rest for a bit. Hoping they round out flavor wise and ease up a bit on strength.
Flynnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:55 PM   #8
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Dave
Trading: (21)
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about

The Olivia V's used to not match my palate but times have changed and I find they are great now. Check back occasionally and you may be surprised they hit the spot for a bit.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:55 AM   #9
oldforge
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
HUpmann
oldforge has a spectacular aura aboutoldforge has a spectacular aura aboutoldforge has a spectacular aura about

I have some 2012 V Maduros that are wonderful right now.

I have some old regular Vs that are very good as well.

I have tried the Melanios but still haven't figured out why they get such good reviews.
oldforge is offline   Reply With Quote