Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-07-2008, 06:51 AM   #1
rrplasencia
monica lewinsky

First Name: Richard
Trading: (55)
JL Navy (Served With Honor)
rrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of light
Default Need help with adobe!

recently recieved a pdf.doc. it's a certificate with a place to put in a name. it's not letting me make any changes to the doc. there are no security settings on the document. i just downloaded an adobe 9.0 trail which didn't help. any ideas?
Old 11-07-2008, 07:10 AM   #2
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation
Default Re: Need help with adobe!

You cannot usually edit a .pdf file (which was the idea in the first place).
Print it, sign it, scan it and mail it back. Thats the usual course of action.

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:18 AM   #3
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
You cannot usually edit a .pdf file (which was the idea in the first place).
Print it, sign it, scan it and mail it back. Thats the usual course of action.
+1. The main reason people PDF reports is so you can't edit it. This works well when you are sending out a report on a patient or a financial document.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:22 AM   #4
rrplasencia
monica lewinsky

rrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of light

it's just crs platoon certificate, no top secret docs here, just trying to fill in the name.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:32 AM   #5
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

Actually there are Fillable PDF's... but the extension should be .pdf not .doc

I'll check it out if you want to e-mail it to me - username @ username . com
Old 11-07-2008, 07:34 AM   #6
poker

Cohiba

I understand. Adobe .pdf files are usually used when a document is somewhat sensitive. Contracts, legal papers, proposals, estimates, etc.
That way the person receiving it cannot edit it to their liking prior to signing.

In this case, best bet is to print it, sign it, then scan it (if it needs to be re mailed.)

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Old 11-07-2008, 07:45 AM   #7
rrplasencia
monica lewinsky

pm replied thanks
Old 11-07-2008, 08:01 AM   #8
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

I edit my adobe files all the time. You have to have a full version of adobe, and the file cannot be password protected.

However, the font selection is generally limited to the font being used already, and is difficult to use larger, different fonts and NOT have the formatting get really screwed up.

There are actually several low costs pdf file makers out there that will open adobe pdf files, and by-pass the security protection that might be in place. This is little known. I use adobe, but also have two of the alternatives. Thus, be aware that adobe files ARE NOT SECURE, and can be changed, regardless of the document protection level that the creator may have put in place, especially if the person looking at the file is using a program other than adobe.

If you have a full version of Adobe (not just the reader), you can try clicking on the line where you want to insert your name, going to Tools, Advanced editing, Touch-up text tool. You will note fairly quickly that as you type in a new letter, it will insert, NOT overwrite. You will probably need to insert a letter, then delete a line spcae, insert a letter, delete a line space.... etc. Otherwise, the program will end up pushing the line past the margins, and possibily to the next line, and really screwing up the look. However, as long as you don't save the file with any screw-up formatting, you can always just discard the changes and re-open the original file.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:06 AM   #9
poker

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
I edit my adobe files all the time. You have to have a full version of adobe, and the file cannot be password protected.

However, the font selection is generally limited to the font being used already, and is difficult to use larger, different fonts and NOT have the formatting get really screwed up.

There are actually several low costs pdf file makers out there that will open adobe pdf files, and by-pass the security protection that might be in place. This is little known. I use adobe, but also have two of the alternatives. Thus, be aware that adobe files ARE NOT SECURE, and can be changed, regardless of the document protection level that the creator may have put in place, especially if the person looking at the file is using a program other than adobe.

If you have a full version of Adobe (not just the reader), you can try clicking on the line where you want to insert your name, going to Tools, Advanced editing, Touch-up text tool. You will note fairly quickly that as you type in a new letter, it will insert, NOT overwrite. You will probably need to insert a letter, then delete a line spcae, insert a letter, delete a line space.... etc. Otherwise, the program will end up pushing the line past the margins, and possibily to the next line, and really screwing up the look. However, as long as you don't save the file with any screw-up formatting, you can always just discard the changes and re-open the original file.

yeah I tried that a couple times a while back and I really made a mess of the document. LOL

Old 11-07-2008, 08:32 AM   #10
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
yeah I tried that a couple times a while back and I really made a mess of the document. LOL
Yep. Its very tricky, and very touchy. Majority of my appraisals go out in pdf format these days. Unless it is a small change, and only a few places, i usually just open the appraisal program back up, make he changes, and re-print is as a new adobe file. Often easier, and I don't bruise my head by beating it against the desk!!!
Old 11-07-2008, 08:41 AM   #11
poker

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
Yep. Its very tricky, and very touchy. Majority of my appraisals go out in pdf format these days. Unless it is a small change, and only a few places, i usually just open the appraisal program back up, make he changes, and re-print is as a new adobe file. Often easier, and I don't bruise my head by beating it against the desk!!!
Im gonna have to try that again when I get home.

The last time I tried, the finished product looked like the lights were out, I had my eyes closed, my monitor was off, and I was intoxicated beyond repair and I edited with my toes when I was done with the pdf file.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:28 AM   #12
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Trading: (0)
Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

What other programs do you have?
If you have Indesign, Quark or Photoshop then you can open or place the pdf file in a blank document, type where you want to type and then print it or resave it as a pdf. You may be able to do that in some other program you have (I don't think you can in Microsoft Office though).
Old 11-07-2008, 09:37 AM   #13
macms
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trading: (56)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
macms has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrplasencia View Post
it's just crs platoon certificate, no top secret docs here, just trying to fill in the name.
I created this PDF certificate. PM sent.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:39 PM   #14
DBall
Cigar Jesus

First Name: Dan
Trading: (46)
RyJ
DBall has disabled reputation

Open it and edit it w/ Photoshop.
DBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 02:03 PM   #15
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Most .pdf forms should allow you to fill in a field with Adobe Reader. But you will need Adobe Pro to actually edit the form and only then if it is not password protected.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote