Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 10-28-2008, 12:37 PM   #1
Hammerhead

Trading: (0)
Hammerhead is on a distinguished road
Default Humidity Changes

Is there a way to know for sure how long it takes for a cigar to readjust to changes in humidity from one environment to another; say from when you buy it at a store at 70RH to when it's stabilized in your home humidor at 65RH? Is there some sort of guideline based on RG that we can use to estimate?

Thanks!
Hammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:50 PM   #2
groogs
Have My Own Room

First Name: Grant
Trading: (62)
Trinidad
groogs will become famous soon enoughgroogs will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Humidity Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
Is there a way to know for sure how long it takes for a cigar to readjust to changes in humidity from one environment to another; say from when you buy it at a store at 70RH to when it's stabilized in your home humidor at 65RH? Is there some sort of guideline based on RG that we can use to estimate?

Thanks!

I have never heard of an established rule for the time it takes for smokes to adjust to RH. I usually put new smokes away for a few weeks and that seems to work. I did get som Alec Bradleys a few weeks ago and I pulled one out today and it is still to wet, so I guess you just have to go by feel.

I am sure there are some BOTL's out there that know more than me, so maybe they know of something.
groogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:40 PM   #3
zmancbr
CERTIFIED THREAD KILLER!!

First Name: Zach
Trading: (41)
HUpmann
zmancbr has disabled reputation
Default Re: Humidity Changes

I would agree with groogs...I think it depends on the size of the stick and how long it was at the humidity it was at before you got it...

None of that matters compared to your instinct though... give the cigar a good feel and go off your impression. If you think it is ready give it a shot.. when in doubt let it rest longer....

Personally for me I very rarely smoke anything that I haven't rested for a month plus just to let it settle... the exception is usually gifted sticks.
zmancbr is offline   Reply With Quote