Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 10-30-2008, 05:56 PM   #1
FriskyDingo
hoosierherfers.com

First Name: Evan
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
FriskyDingo is on a distinguished road
Default Old world cigar makers and the future...

There are quite a few older cigar makers that have a REAL passion for cigars and the entire process from planting, growing, fermenting, blending, ect. and those cigar makers are coming to a point in their lives where they seem to be passing this tradition and knowledge on to their sons.
Some of them have done a great job with this as well. It seems that the same passion that their fathers had carried over from Cuba just isn't the same. Sometimes it seems that perhaps it isn't a passion as much as it is seen by them as a business.
Some somewhat recent news that made me think about this was Julio Eiroa stepping aside and letting Christian take over and having Camacho sold to Davidoff.

I thought I would see what you all thought about the cigar industry as a whole and what's in store for the future...

-= http://www.hoosierherfers.com =-
FriskyDingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:51 PM   #2
brigey57
Smoke me if you can...

First Name: Bri
Trading: (0)
Montecristo
brigey57 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Old world cigar makers and the future...

I was sad when I heard about the sale but then I thought to myself that CAO went through the same thing. They were looking for a variety of tobaccos and just couldn't get the variety they wanted. When they sold to I believe Swedish Match they were able to ge a hold of some new tobaccos which provided the balance and variety they needed. Could it be the same thing with Camacho? Seems to me to be a drastic act just to obtain the variety they were looking for.