Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 11-21-2010, 01:21 PM   #1
flybum62

Default Humidor ?

I have a nice cigar box that I think would make a good extra humidor. It is all wood with a lip on the inside lid and when closed, is pretty tight. I figure that if I season it, it will work. Jump in and give you opinion.
JS
Old 11-21-2010, 01:27 PM   #2
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Humidor ?

Have a picture Jeff? When you close it, do you get the "swoosh" sound to enure a good air tight seal? What kind of wood?
Old 11-21-2010, 01:29 PM   #3
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

A seal is great. Thickness of the overall wood as well as its ability to maintain a consistent environment is what makes a good humidor. I would still drop a hygrometer in there to see. I have seen some cigar boxes made to double as a humidor however most fail to measure up.
Ranger_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger_B View Post
A seal is great. Thickness of the overall wood as well as its ability to maintain a consistent environment is what makes a good humidor. I would still drop a hygrometer in there to see. I have seen some cigar boxes made to double as a humidor however most fail to measure up.

To me those humidor cigar boxes are more of a novelty and are just a gimmick to make you think you are getting more to entice you into buying the cigars.

I was turned on to coolidors and I'm never going back. Someday I'll get a nice Vinotemp but for now coolidors are so practical, durable, spacious and cheap. They also hold rock solid humidity. Hard to argue the price point as well, $140 gets you 30 or boxes worth of storage. That includes the cooler, beads and hygrometer.

Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:58 PM   #5
joeobx
just playing in the storm

First Name: Joe
Trading: (4)
joeobx will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post

To me those humidor cigar boxes are more of a novelty and are just a gimmick to make you think you are getting more to entice you into buying the cigars.

I was turned on to coolidors and I'm never going back. Someday I'll get a nice Vinotemp but for now coolidors are so practical, durable, spacious and cheap. They also hold rock solid humidity. Hard to argue the price point as well, $140 gets you 30 or boxes worth of storage. That includes the cooler, beads and hygrometer.

Yeah they work and are cheap, Have plenty of storage.......but the wife has issue's with one in the family room
Old 11-21-2010, 05:33 PM   #6
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeobx View Post
Yeah they work and are cheap, Have plenty of storage.......but the wife has issue's with one in the family room

I keep mine in my closet, my whole closet floor is a coolidor and desktop. It's not a walk in closet though. I forget a lot of what I do doesn't apply to you guys because you guys are married.

They are hard to find space for that is the only issue really. I imagine if I ever need another one I'll put it somewhere in the basement or garage. But as of now my coolidor is maybe 1/3 full.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote