Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 10-30-2008, 11:23 PM   #21
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Possible Fire Damage

Terribly sorry about the loss. It happened to me last year on my 31st birthday, it sucked. I would get them out of that humi and into a tupperware and let them sit for a few days and then try to detect any odor. You'd be surprised how long that smell will linger. If the humi was cracked or had water in it though, I would toss it all. Sorry again. If you need any help with anything, PM me .
Old 10-31-2008, 01:11 AM   #22
dannyboy
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Daniel
Trading: (31)
Trinidad
dannyboy will become famous soon enough

Sorry for your loss bro, glad everyone was safe. As for the cigars, it sounds like they might be OK, since you said the 5 Vegas was still good. Hopefully the rest make it, too. Thoughts and prayers for you in these next several months as you deal with this.
dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:13 AM   #23
RHNewfie
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (15)
Partagas
RHNewfie is a jewel in the roughRHNewfie is a jewel in the roughRHNewfie is a jewel in the rough

Hey, maybe you got lucky and your house didn't fill with smoke like mine did. Our furnace kicked in and blew the smoke everywhere.

One word of advice though, if you are wanting the insurance co to replace the humi you will most likely have to bring it back into the house so the clean up crew can remove it and catalogue it with the contents that are being disposed. That's what I had to do.

Jeff
Old 10-31-2008, 07:46 AM   #24
Boobar
Rubber Room Wall Bouncer

First Name: Bob
Trading: (37)
Boobar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHNewfie View Post
Hey, maybe you got lucky and your house didn't fill with smoke like mine did. Our furnace kicked in and blew the smoke everywhere.

One word of advice though, if you are wanting the insurance co to replace the humi you will most likely have to bring it back into the house so the clean up crew can remove it and catalogue it with the contents that are being disposed. That's what I had to do.

Jeff
My wife and I are cataloging all of our contents and then sending a list of items with their value to the insurance adjuster. Our insurance adjuster told us to rent a dumpster and as we cataloged each item to then throw it out so that we knew what we had done and what was still left. We are heading down this morning to get started.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:27 AM   #25
RHNewfie
Have My Own Room

Partagas
RHNewfie is a jewel in the roughRHNewfie is a jewel in the roughRHNewfie is a jewel in the rough

Fun fun fun!!! We were lucky that the clean up folks did all the cataloging, it would have taken us forever!! We are still going through the list to determine values!
Old 11-01-2008, 03:06 PM   #26
Boobar
Rubber Room Wall Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHNewfie View Post
Fun fun fun!!! We were lucky that the clean up folks did all the cataloging, it would have taken us forever!! We are still going through the list to determine values!
We have been working on it for the last couple of days and we have a pretty good handle on it but it is very time consuming and very tedious.

New humidor is ordered and on its way and the cigars are all in tuperwear awaiting their new home.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:23 PM   #27
RHNewfie
Have My Own Room

Partagas

Dont forget to include the sales tax! Also, for things that you figure you will not replace, we were able to get them to come to around 92% of the replacement value. They will probably try and push you to 75%
Old 12-09-2008, 10:37 AM   #28
Boobar
Rubber Room Wall Bouncer

Just a quick update. Out of all the things that were lost in the fire the stogies were not on the list. Over the past 6 weeks since the fire I have smoked through many of the sticks that were in my humidor during the fire and they to this point have all been good to go. I have gotten a new humidor and all the sticks are bedded down in their new home. I cannot say the same thing about our house. We are currently in the process of taking estimates to tear down the building and let me tell you, tearing down a house is NOT cheap. From a demolition standpoint it would have been better if the thing had burned to the ground. Don't get me wrong I am glad that it didn't because we were able to same some irreplaceable items.

I would like to say THANKS AGAIN to all who offered their kind words and prayers and to the forumites who so generously sent a few bombs my way. In these tough times it's great to have a place like this one to come and socialize with such good people.