Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 02-13-2011, 01:39 PM   #581
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fart

I have a pipe that every time I smoke it, it makes a whistling noise. I'm thinking that I just underfill it because the bowl is very deep. Could the whistling sound come from something else?
Old 02-13-2011, 01:49 PM   #582
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
I have a pipe that every time I smoke it, it makes a whistling noise. I'm thinking that I just underfill it because the bowl is very deep. Could the whistling sound come from something else?
The draft hole might be too small, i think.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:23 PM   #583
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Might be some crud caught in the airway; if not it sound like what EmJay said. Might need a little drilling.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:53 PM   #584
FunkyD

I have an Ozark Mountain pipe that is really broken in well, and i smokes dry. Every time i smoke PS LNF in it, it sizzles and cracks. The tobacco seems to be dried out when I smoke it, and I've smoked it in a lot of pipes and it always does the same thing.

Do I need to dry it out more than it already is?
Old 02-14-2011, 05:39 AM   #585
Mister Moo

Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyD View Post
I have an Ozark Mountain pipe that is really broken in well, and i smokes dry. Every time i smoke PS LNF in it, it sizzles and cracks. The tobacco seems to be dried out when I smoke it, and I've smoked it in a lot of pipes and it always does the same thing.

Do I need to dry it out more than it already is?
Cold pipe left out in the car overnight? Smoked outside on a cold day?

I was smoking some pretty dry PS Luxury Twist last week and suddenly got a bad case of the sizzles in two different room-temp pipes, one new pipe and one well broken in . I started smoking half-bowls filled with less compression and that was that. I wait for warmer weather to see if the sizzles go away.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:45 AM   #586
FunkyD

I smoked it yesterday and it was 80 outside lol. I'm going to try half bowls, maybe air pocket method to see if that helps. LF has a strange texture as far as how wet it seems to the touch, maybe I'm not smoking them as dry as I think I am. Thanks Mr. Moo, I'll let you know if half bowls work out.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:45 PM   #587
jkstewart1
Time to change the Avatar

First Name: John
Trading: (7)
jkstewart1 is on a distinguished road

Time to give the Old Farts a bump.
jkstewart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:59 AM   #588
Mister Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstewart1 View Post
Maybe start with the burley, cavendish, and virginia to be able to recognize the bases and then know what the perique or latakia are adding to the blend. Do you think that 2oz. of each is enough to get a handle on it, or would it take more?
At more than $100 for a new one, a good, basic meer might be beyond what I want to spend on this endeavor. Any suggestions? Anyone perusing this have a gently used one that they'd want to part with?
Get a few Missouri Meerschaum pipes - bigger ones like the Great Danes. At less than $10 they're a bargain.

Two oz. of tobacco smoked from moist to dry over two-three weeks is a good start to have insights on a blend. Quantity is less of a road to insight than smoking slowly through a range of moistures and, as practical, pipes. If you get a real meer, pick wisely and you will be disappointed.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:33 PM   #589
jkstewart1

Mister Moo, not to tease, but it's as if I've bumped you awake from your Sunday nap. I believe that you mean that I won't be disappointed if I wisely choose a real meer.

I was bumping the 'old farts' up on the posting list since it had been two weeks without any action. It seemed that there were some newer members that were having difficulty finding what expertise you were offering.

I'm good for now. Thanks for your wisdom!
Old 02-27-2011, 10:26 PM   #590
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I was bumping the 'old farts' up on the posting list since it had been two weeks without any action...
...you know how old farts are sometimes John!

Old 02-28-2011, 05:49 AM   #591
Mister Moo

Quote:
Mister Moo, not to tease, but it's as if I've bumped you awake from your Sunday nap. I believe that you mean that I won't be disappointed if I wisely choose a real meer.

I was bumping the 'old farts' up on the posting list since it had been two weeks without any action. It seemed that there were some newer members that were having difficulty finding what expertise you were offering.

I'm good for now. Thanks for your wisdom!
zzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzzzz

zzzz............... !@%#@$@ HUH?!

Yo! JK! Wazzup?

.................. (waking-up self face slap )

Yeah, right. "NOT" disappointed. Right. Right. Righty-right right. I've been smoking a large, plain/smooth meer dublin lately after great letdowns from two smaller, carved meerschaum pipes I bought a lonnnnnnnnnnnnng time ago. I just figured meerschaum pipes were gurgling pieces of crap until wiser-guys let me on to the restricted airway issue common to many smaller-sized meerschaum pipes The relatively inexpensive Paykoc import, carver unknown, smokes like a dream.

Meers can be great smoking pipes - some would argue the best - but I'd say dodge the less expensive, smaller, versions no matter down cute the skull and claw carving.

I was really hoping someone else would step up to bat on some of these (very good) questions.

zzzzzzzzzzz
Old 02-28-2011, 07:28 AM   #592
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
I was really hoping someone else would step up to bat on some of these (very good) questions.
I would have answered them, but by the time I see them, they are already answered.

I am one of those who prefers a broken in briar over a meer. Although, a meer will not retain flavors from other tobaccos as will a briar or a cob.

And yes, if you are getting a meer, get one made from block and not from pressed.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:14 AM   #593
Mister Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
I would have answered them, but by the time I see them, they are already answered...
With respect to your love of the Pack; reliable presence in the forum, excellent, well-informed and thoughtful answers; and your always good spirited, cheerful demeanor.... (drum roll).......

My time is compromised. I wish to withdraw from this thread and respectfully ask the Rev to ramrod and encourage the best possible answers through to new, troubled or otherwise aspiring pipers.

Hoping you'll agree to keep your eye on this thread and keep it moving in the right direction. How about it? mmoo
Old 02-28-2011, 08:40 AM   #594
qsalinas
Like a-some-BoooooooDeee

First Name: Enrique
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
qsalinas is on a distinguished road

Hi there,
I have a question for you guys.

My father gave me some of his old pipes from the late 70's early 80's and I was wondering if these pipes are still good to use? They have NOT been used in about 25-30 years.
I have never smoked tabacco out of a pipe before but I'm interested in getting into it but wasn't sure if these old pipes were still any good.

Thanks in advance...
qsalinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:06 AM   #595
JaKaacH
ROCK Chalk JAYHAWK K U

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (32)
RA
JaKaacH has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsalinas View Post
Hi there,
I have a question for you guys.

My father gave me some of his old pipes from the late 70's early 80's and I was wondering if these pipes are still good to use? They have NOT been used in about 25-30 years.
I have never smoked tabacco out of a pipe before but I'm interested in getting into it but wasn't sure if these old pipes were still any good.

Thanks in advance...
Yes they still are good to use. Depending on condition, all you may need to do wipe them off and apply a little carnauba wax on the outside. Or they may need a little more work: Bowl reaming, 151 rum damp salt or cotton ball sterilizing of the bowl, stem oxidation removal, etc.etc....
Pictures of the pipes would be helpful.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:12 AM   #596
qsalinas
Like a-some-BoooooooDeee

First Name: Enrique
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
qsalinas is on a distinguished road

Pictures of the pipes would be helpful.[/quote]

Thanks and will post pics ASAP. The pipes look good on the outside not sure about the inside.
qsalinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:59 PM   #597
jkstewart1

Glad to see the thread stick-ied at last. Now the OF's have their rightful place at the top of the pipes discussion forum!

Bought myself a Altinok full-bent lattice ball meerschaum from RX2010 and am learning as I go. Thanks to all of the Old Farts shortening my learning curve!
Old 02-28-2011, 06:57 PM   #598
SeeingRed13
Wooo Pig Sooie!

First Name: Spencer
Montecristo
SeeingRed13 is on a distinguished road

I have a question. I typically smoke more VA-heavy blends, either straight or VA/PER. But I recently acquired 8oz. of Penzance & Stonehaven (respectively). With these English blends does one have to be more concerned with ghosting?

In other words, if I'm able to set aside an individual pipe for each blend, would this be a good idea? Will smoking either or these blends in a pipe that I have previously smoked something like Dunhill Nightcap or Solani Silver Flake affect that pipe negatively?

Or perhaps I'm overcomplicating this altogether. Any direction would be appreciated.
SeeingRed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:39 PM   #599
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeingRed13 View Post
I have a question. I typically smoke more VA-heavy blends, either straight or VA/PER. But I recently acquired 8oz. of Penzance & Stonehaven (respectively). With these English blends does one have to be more concerned with ghosting?

In other words, if I'm able to set aside an individual pipe for each blend, would this be a good idea? Will smoking either or these blends in a pipe that I have previously smoked something like Dunhill Nightcap or Solani Silver Flake affect that pipe negatively?

Or perhaps I'm overcomplicating this altogether. Any direction would be appreciated.
Yes, this is a good idea. These are blends that if you smoked numerous bowls of in the same pipe, may indeed, as you say, ghost. If however you have pipe in which you are already smoking Nightcap, and only want to smoke the occasional bowl of either the Penzance or Stonehaven, it shouldn't really be a problem.

I usually have a pipe for English blends and one for aromatics, and then I mix and match whatever I want.

The only tobaccos which I try to be careful with is Virginias and VaPers - I won't smoke any Latakia or Aromatics in those pipes.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:43 PM   #600
SeeingRed13
Wooo Pig Sooie!

First Name: Spencer
Montecristo
SeeingRed13 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advice, Rev. I'll make sure to set some aside for the ole English
SeeingRed13 is offline   Reply With Quote