Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #1
mhailey
Splitter of Hairs

First Name: Matt
Trading: (21)
mhailey has a spectacular aura aboutmhailey has a spectacular aura aboutmhailey has a spectacular aura about
Default Truck Accessories

I just bought a new Ford F-150 and I'm looking for recommendations for the "can't do without" accessories. What do you recommend? Tool box? Bed liner? Clear bra? What do you think is/are the best accessorie(s)?
Old 03-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
ArgusP2
It's Smokin' Time!

First Name: Angel
Trading: (13)
RA
ArgusP2 is a jewel in the roughArgusP2 is a jewel in the roughArgusP2 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Truck Accessories

How about this:

-Bdawg
ArgusP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #3
Robulous78

LoL Angel,

I have to say a bedliner and toolbox are must haves as far as I am concerned on a truck...

Rino liner is cool, but doesn't provide impact protection for the truck body the same way the plastic bedliners do... I don't know how tough you plan on being on it... but I would definitely have one or the other...

If your in the woods they make deer signals to scare deer off the road... I think they make the same for Moose... If your a hunter or a redneck a gun rack is useful/cool...

If you wanna go crazy you could throw some bigger tires or a lift kit... but more practically a wench is pretty useful, again if your in the country, I assume your not getting a truck for in the city after all... Warn makes decent priced wenches...

if your a fisherman you can get rod holders on the front, if you go through bushes you can get a bush bar... you can get a rack for luggage or ladders on top of the cab... you can get a bed cap or a bed cover and make it look like an SUV... its really all up to the money you want to spend and the practicality of when your likely to need it...
Old 03-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #4
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

What year F-150? I put a leveling kit and 33inch tires on mine. I also rhino lined the rocker panels and wheel wells to protect it from rocks and road salt. Get a K&N air filter(NOT A COLD AIR INTAKE) just a stock replacement filter. Run the best motor oil you can find. I used royal purple. I also used royal purple 70/140 rear end fluid. Ford came out with a tech order saying to replace the 70/90 that comes stock in the rear ends. If you have the money, get a brush guard and a winch. you will really appreciate it when you need it. Also, always carry a tow rope/strap that can handle at least 15K pounds. If you're gonna do a bed liner, get a spray in bed liner. Get rid of the stock exhaust, its super restrictive. If nothing else, replace the muffler. The stock one is almost 3 feet long and adds way too much back pressure. I'm sure I'll think of something else. hopefully this helps more than confuses.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #5
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Trade it in for a Dodge. Best thing you can do.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:56 PM   #6
Sailchaser
Black Ops-SOB

First Name: Chris
Trading: (7)
HUpmann CoastGuard
Sailchaser has disabled reputation

Window vent covers are the Best
Old 03-05-2013, 07:56 PM   #7
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Step bars (Nerf bars) sure make it easier to get in and out, especially if you have older parents that can't step as high as they used to. Ditto on the K&N filter, and getting rid of the stock exhaust (unless the truck is brand new, and the warranty is in force). Carpet floor mats, if it lacks mats. Road salt isn't an issue in the south, but I use "spray-can" undercoating on all my vehicles, which is cheaper than the dealer applied product, and just as good (just make sure underside is clean and dry before you spray.) If not a new truck, you might consider a stereo and speaker update, including a head unit with multiple input ports, including USB.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #8
Robulous78

Quote:
Originally Posted by maninblack View Post
haha I have a dodge and was biting my tongue...
Old 03-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #9
Fordman4ever

Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

Here's mine.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:22 PM   #10
Robulous78

You can do amazing things with em thats for sure
Old 03-05-2013, 08:24 PM   #11
big_jaygee
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Jason
Trading: (59)
big_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by maninblack View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robulous78 View Post
haha I have a dodge and was biting my tongue...
X2
big_jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #12
big_jaygee
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Jason
Trading: (59)
big_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to behold

all kidding aside.... nerf bars are a must, brush guard, at the very least a tow strap and/or winch, and a bed liner.
big_jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:28 PM   #13
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

First Name: Garry
Trading: (39)
CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

I used to have on '08. I now have a '99.

First thing is always, tint.. Blacked out.

Level kit with some decent meaty tires. I added a new head unit and subs soon to follow.

I wouldn't do any bra unless you do that clear paint one like you mentioned. Tool box and bed liner yes!

Mine now has a camper.. So I do not need both.

Loved this site, http://www.fordf150.net/ for when I had mine.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:36 PM   #14
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

Two words: Truck Nutz

MurphysLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:02 PM   #15
mhailey
Splitter of Hairs

mhailey has a spectacular aura aboutmhailey has a spectacular aura aboutmhailey has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgusP2 View Post
How about this:
Best suggestion right out of the shoot!!

I bought a 2013, so extreme modification that would void the warranty are not in my future for 3 years or 36000 miles (5 year 100,000 mile power train). I like the bed liner, spray in maybe with a nice rubber mat to avoid dents, and the fishing rod holder (fly fishing so I will have to check those out). We go camping and skiing quite a bit.

I'm not really liking those tonneau covers as it just seems to defeat the purpose of having a truck. I would love a toolbox that could double as a cooler.

I've tried the K&N filters before and wrecked my Mass Airflow Sensor on my pathfinder with it. Kind of makes my a little scared of the K&N filters.

I will say my daughters love this truck!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130303_103918.jpg (118.8 KB, 212 views)
Old 03-05-2013, 09:12 PM   #16
Fordman4ever

I ran a K&N in my 5.4 from day one, never had any issues. It never threw any codes or caused any type of malfunctions.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:14 PM   #17
Fordman4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by garryyjr View Post

Loved this site, http://www.fordf150.net/ for when I had mine.
I used this site a lot also. Check out the Gotts mod. its an air intake modification that supposed to open up the air flow without having to add a "cold" air intake.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:34 PM   #18
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman4ever View Post
I ran a K&N in my 5.4 from day one, never had any issues. It never threw any codes or caused any type of malfunctions.
I'll second this experience. I have K&N filters in all my vehicles (including my 1995 Pathfinder and our daughter's 2001 Pathfinder. I've never had an issue, but I'm careful to not overdo the "oil" when I clean and recharge them. I have a 1997 F150 5.4 with 250,000 miles, which has had a K&N filter since I purchased it in 1998. No issues at all.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:18 AM   #19
joeobx
just playing in the storm

First Name: Joe
Trading: (4)
joeobx will become famous soon enough

Matt, I have a 11' that looks like your twin. I had spray in liner, got a Truxcedo cover that I like as it will roll all the way up to the window. I have a friend that has a Backfilp that he swears by, it's a hard cover that folds up in three pieces and can be stood up for full bed access. I also got the cargo extender from ford and really glad I did. It's a little pricey but unlike the old style it will fold out of the way to the sides.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #20
mhailey
Splitter of Hairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeobx View Post
Matt, I have a 11' that looks like your twin. I had spray in liner, got a Truxcedo cover that I like as it will roll all the way up to the window. I have a friend that has a Backfilp that he swears by, it's a hard cover that folds up in three pieces and can be stood up for full bed access. I also got the cargo extender from ford and really glad I did. It's a little pricey but unlike the old style it will fold out of the way to the sides.
OH, Bed extender. Good call. I work downtown, so I purchased the 5.5 foot bed to navigate the garage. However I spend a great deal of time in the mountains so a truck was a natural purchase for me. It would be nice to have a little more room in the bed of the truck to haul the proverbial crud.

Surprisingly my MPG has not really suffered as compared to my old 2001 Pathfinder. I was getting about 18 MPG with the pathfinder, and about 17 with this truck. I will have to wait until more miles are put on this truck to have a set determination on my average MPG though.

Regarding the K&N filters, do you guys realize a noticeable increase in power/MPG? If they are so good, why are they not installed as standard, or given as an option through the dealer? Like I said, my one experience wrecked my MAFS, and I have not looked into the filters since. Maybe they have gotten better since then. And it was not my fault or a pre-existing condition, as I never reached the point of requiring a "recharge/re-oil" of the filter, and the car ran great until 2 weeks after installation of the filter. The Nissan Tech said it was a known issue with the Nissan MAFS and K&N filters.

I will have to check out the Truxcedo.