Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 06-09-2012, 06:58 AM   #1
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice
Default La Tribu Gran Corona

I stumbled over La Tribu when searching around on the Atlantic website. They started off there as the "Mystery Cigar" last year but have now opened up to quite a colorful story on the website that I initially pegged for BS. Long story short this is a house blend, and you always hear this but this is not your regular house blend.

Shape: Grand Corona
Size: 5 5/8 x 46
Strength: Medium - Full
Country of Origin: Dominican Republic
Wrapper Type: Ecuadorian Habano
Color: Colorado
Binder / Filler: Nicaragua / Dominican Republic, Nicaragua
Grade: Hand Rolled / Long Filler

These cigars are well packed and have a perfect triple cap applied. The wrapper is nice, thick, and oily. I don't do the pre light crap but when wetting the cap the wrapper is very spicy and settles warm in my stomach.

The 1st part of the cigar has a spice that reminds me of a CC, sorry to say it but yes it does. Again the spice is warm and settles in my stomach instead of being in the back of my throat or tongue. When smoked ROTT the 1st part is all spice and the aroma is a very good balance of light wood and sweetness. The samples I had resting for a few months had a sweet berry flavor under the spice.

The 2nd part either I become accustomed to the spice or it goes into the background. But this is where the cigar becomes very complex and hard to pin flavors down. There is cream and fruit I can tell but also a salty note there as well.

The last part is where I question who the hell made this cigar and where did it come from because there are strong basic CC notes of cream and sweetness that are not Dominican or Nicaraguan (just saying). The finish is long at this point but it's clean and fruity, spicy, and has a bread note as well.

In the end I can't get enough of these cigars because they are never boring. After about 10 I am still trying to figure it out. I have researched the crap out of this cigar and found that they may have been produced by Intercigar who appears to be a Holland based company that has a factory in the Dominican Republic. If you like the Quesada Espana I think you will also like the a Tribu.
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: La Tribu Gran Corona

Nice review Jake. What's the price point on these bad boys?
Old 06-09-2012, 07:47 AM   #3
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Nice review Jake. What's the price point on these bad boys?
81$ for a bundle of 20
Old 12-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

Bolivar Navy (Active)

I've burned a few more of these lately and they are just as good. They have actually gotten a bit stronger in the Nic compartment.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
cobra03
Adult Babysitter

First Name: Scott
Trading: (15)
Partagas
cobra03 will become famous soon enoughcobra03 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 688sonarmen View Post
I've burned a few more of these lately and they are just as good. They have actually gotten a bit stronger in the Nic compartment.
I have a bundle of the robusto and a few singles of the Gran toro. They were sold out of the Gran Corona before i got any. That sucks because that size is right in my wheel house. This is the first time I read your review and its spot on. I also noted that cream and fruit flavor. Ive tried to figure it out but just cant put my finger on it. I smoked another one not to long ago myself and they are better than I remember. Glad i have a full bundle of the robustos hiding as they are now sold out as well.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:04 PM   #6
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

Bolivar Navy (Active)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra03 View Post
I have a bundle of the robusto and a few singles of the Gran toro. They were sold out of the Gran Corona before i got any. That sucks because that size is right in my wheel house. This is the first time I read your review and its spot on. I also noted that cream and fruit flavor. Ive tried to figure it out but just cant put my finger on it. I smoked another one not to long ago myself and they are better than I remember. Glad i have a full bundle of the robustos hiding as they are now sold out as well.
I can hook you up. I'm really curious as to when the full production will come out. After a bit of research I found that they also have ties to My Cuban Wheel as well. And I can see that as they share some of the qualities , not sure if its the wrapper or not but they remind me of each other.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:51 AM   #7
cobra03
Adult Babysitter

Partagas

Quote:
I can hook you up. I'm really curious as to when the full production will come out. After a bit of research I found that they also have ties to My Cuban Wheel as well. And I can see that as they share some of the qualities , not sure if its the wrapper or not but they remind me of each other.
I have been eyeing up those MCW. I might have to pull the trigger if they are anything like the La Tribu
Old 12-15-2012, 04:58 AM   #8
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Sounds Like A Great Smoke! Very Nice Review!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:23 AM   #9
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Just Ordered A "5'er" Of The Gran Toro! Only A Few Left At Atlantic Cigar!
Old 12-15-2012, 05:43 AM   #10
Infecting Via PM

First Name: Brendon
Trading: (35)
RA
363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about

Sounds like a great smoke, I will have to keep an eye out for these
Old 12-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #11
cobra03
Adult Babysitter

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Just Ordered A "5'er" Of The Gran Toro! Only A Few Left At Atlantic Cigar!
Just a heads up. Ive ordered these on a few occasions and everytime they seem to be pretty wet when i get them and they dont burn right. A few weeks in the humi or dry box them seems to do the trick nicely.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:05 PM   #12
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
Just a heads up. Ive ordered these on a few occasions and everytime they seem to be pretty wet when i get them and they dont burn right. A few weeks in the humi or dry box them seems to do the trick nicely.
Thanks, Scott!
Old 06-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #13
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Finally Smoked This Stick After 6 Months Rest. Very Nice, Touch Of Sweetness & Spice. Not Bad For The Price Point!
Old 06-12-2013, 07:21 PM   #14
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
I Agree, Brother! Smoke Lasted 1.5 Hours For Me & I Smoke Quickly. My Knees Were A Little Wobbly After I Finished & I'm Used To Strong Cigars!
Old 06-13-2013, 08:59 AM   #15
cobra03
Adult Babysitter

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
I Agree, Brother! Smoke Lasted 1.5 Hours For Me & I Smoke Quickly. My Knees Were A Little Wobbly After I Finished & I'm Used To Strong Cigars!
I have to agree with you Greg. I smoked the toro version when I was camping last week and it has not slowed down one step! It hides that kick very well.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #16
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

Bolivar Navy (Active)

You guys are right, they have some serious hidden strength. What the hell happened to these? Atlantic said they would be released summer 2012?
Old 06-13-2013, 11:23 AM   #17
cobra03
Adult Babysitter

Partagas

Not sure Jake I have been wondering the same thing for some time.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #18
bstarrs
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Braeden
Trading: (3)
Bolivar
bstarrs is on a distinguished road

I was looking at these but they seemed kinda expensive for a bundle. I didn't know they were Atlantic's house blend. There's other things I want to try for the money so maybe down the road I'll get some.
bstarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:29 AM   #19
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
You guys are right, they have some serious hidden strength. What the hell happened to these? Atlantic said they would be released summer 2012?
Quote:
Not sure Jake I have been wondering the same thing for some time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstarrs View Post
I was looking at these but they seemed kinda expensive for a bundle. I didn't know they were Atlantic's house blend. There's other things I want to try for the money so maybe down the road I'll get some.
They Still Have 20 Ct. Bundles Of Grand Toro & Gordo!