Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 06-26-2011, 12:50 AM   #1
Tyler

Default 5 Vegas Miami

I don't know what size this is as it was given to me and I have not been able to find a ring gauge sizer or whatever it is called.

I sat down to smoke out back and had 5 mosquitoes land on me and bite me at the same time, no joke. So I went inside and took an OFF bath pretty much so this review might be skewed due to the strong odor of OFF. I am drinking water and a Shiner Bock with the smoke.

Prelight:

The cigar smells kind of cedar-y and chocolaty. Solid construction and only minor discoloration of the wrapper in a few places. I used a two blade guillotine and the cut was near perfect on the cigar. Pre-light draw is open but not too open. Not really picking up a lot on flavor other than light chocolate and cedar.

1/3:

I immediately notice some spice and cedar from the first draw. A little harsh at first but it turns into a kind of chocolaty leather. Very pleasant. I am not really picking up on any other flavors but this could be attributed to the fact that I have never done a review before. I am assuming since I don’t sit down and try to pick out the flavors of a cigar in detail every time that my skills will develop with time. So far it is still the same cedar with a leathery/creamy/chocolaty flavor and it is very pleasant.
The cigar produces a high amount of smoke and the ash is a light color and holds on pretty well until at about the 1 inch mark when it fell on my shorts haha.

2/3:

Same flavor profile as before but there is an added ‘nut-iness’ to it and the spice has mellowed out. It leaves my mouth with a cedar taste which is not unpleasant at all. I have not eaten dinner yet so this cigar is giving me a buzz. The flavor profile is still the same with an added smooth chocolate undertone.
I was late on getting outside for a smoke tonight so it is already getting pretty dark so I will not be able to comment on the ash except what shows up in the pictures. The cigar also went completely out once because I was typing in the forums and forgot to take a puff. This might be a failed first review but live and learn right? Haha. I will continue on.

3/3:

More cedar comes through and it becomes a little harsh at times. The buzz is really bad now and I am feeling sick as I have not eaten for 12 hours. It is also about 100 degrees out so I am sweating and my beer has gone warm. I let the cigar go out shortly after the start of this third as the heat and the buzz made me sick.

Final thoughts:

I would love to smoke another one of these after dinner next time and when it isn’t in the triple digits. This was a pretty good cigar but comparing it to other 5 Vegas cigars I would say it still ranks behind the series ‘A’.

Recommended?

With this review only being a partial one and me being sick for half of it I cannot give a call on if I would recommend this cigar or not. Hopefully my next review will be much better.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:14 AM   #2
Drez
The Warden

First Name: Frank
Trading: (35)
Cohiba MarineCorps (Retired)
Drez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 5 Vegas Miami

Good review I like my 5 Vegas with a little rest on them. Hopefully the next one you get to fully enjoy and not get sick.

They aren't going to multiply....burn that b!tch!
Drez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:52 AM   #3
Dunkel
Maduro & Oscuro Whore-O

First Name: Doug
Trading: (75)
Dunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really nice

I love Miami's and Triple A's.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:56 AM   #4
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

These still blended by Pepin? I've got a dozen or so from several years ago that ARE Pepin. I don't know if they are still blended by him today.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:03 AM   #5
Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
These still blended by Pepin? I've got a dozen or so from several years ago that ARE Pepin. I don't know if they are still blended by him today.
To the best of my knowledge they still are. Which explains the spice and strength.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:06 AM   #6
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
^^This.

The one's I smoked were from a couple of years ago and they were the best of the 5 Vegas line.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:28 AM   #7
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

I smoked a couple of these last time I was in the desert and absolutely loved them. Gonna try to pick up a couple more of these soon.

Great review.
Fordman4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:33 AM   #8
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review...I still prefer the AAA's and the Gold Maduros.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:43 AM   #9
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Nice Review. This is my favorite of the 5 Vegas's
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:35 AM   #10
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Good job for a first review, I have recently been trying the 5 Vegas (not the Miami) and have been happy with the results so far.
Blak Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote