Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 01-21-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
Katmancross

Default 5 Vegas Classic-Corona

The corona is an oddball to me. It's 5.5 x 44......not much different than the robusto in volume. I like the smaller cigars for a real treat because, like the Nub, it gets to the sweet spot right away. I always wondered what the big deal with the Nub was because panatelas, coronas, etc pretty much perform the same function. Other than the Nub is supposed to smoke longer. But I smoke the Nubs way too quickly and never get past the halfway mark of the advertised smoking time.

The prelight is aromatic of cocoa and espresso. Just faintly.
Like the others, its consistent. That's the nice thing about 5 Vegas. They are dead nuts consistent. Never a bad one or disappointing one. For a value priced cigar, that's a big deal.
I believe the spice and creaminess is a little more intense than the panatela.
The construction on this stick is excellent. Almost no veins. And just the perfect firmness. Easy to draw on and plumes of smoke.
Beginning the second third, there is a blend of sweet wood and the spice lessens but the creaminess increases.
The filler is Nicaraguan and the binder is Dominican. The wrapper is Sumatran. That wrapper has a lot to do with the flavor. I think the sweetness comes from it.

It's a medium body stick....right from the get go.
The difference between the smaller Classics and the larger ones is that they aren't quite as complex as the bigger ones. But that common sense. Less tobacco to burn longer and create a wider flavor spectrum. So the corona gives out spice, creaminess, wood, sweetness and that's it.
Halfway through, the only change is that it becomes a little more full flavored, but not much...but fuller in body, definitely.
It takes me 30 minutes to smoke the corona and as long as I take it easy, there's no harshness or bitterness. This got smoked to the nub.
I highly recommend this cigar for people that like the described flavors. And the fact, that those flavors kick in immediately.
It's a great short smoke for a half hour ride in the car. I sometimes make the mistake of smoking a larger cigar on a short trip and then have to leave half of it unsmoked. So for this purpose, it's perfect!
You can't beat the price point of $2.40 each. That's a winner!