Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 03-01-2012, 05:57 AM   #1021
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brendan
Trading: (12)
Salvelinus will become famous soon enoughSalvelinus will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Homebrewers - Whats in the fermeter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmblz View Post
Anyone used Cry Havoc yeast?
Making a Pale Ale, would use California Ale except the local is out.
Any idea what substituting Cry Havoc would be like?
Haven't used it, but given it's description as a lager and ale hybrid strain I'd expect that if you fermented it in the low 60's/high 50's you'd get a clean ferment.
Salvelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:42 AM   #1022
Mikes
Post Whore

Trading: (0)
Mikes is on a distinguished road

Don't know if any of yall are looking for kegs but I have been searching for a low price as I need a few more. Found 2 packs of them for $77.50 Pepsi style and 71.50 for converted coke style ones at corneykeg.com. Wasn't sure how beat up they were gonna be so I only ordered 2 at first but when they came in good shape i placed another order for 2 more. Now have 12 kegs total ;o)

I also noticed they have a drilled out top option that allows you to insert an airlock and ferment in the kegs. Do any of yall ferment in them?> It would be great to cut the liquid line out up an inch or so and when it was time to rack to a clean keg just pressurize the one and push the beer to another keg! No more friggin siphon. Only thing I am not sure of is how hard it would be to clean the trub out of there when it is all done.....

Mikes
Old 03-01-2012, 06:48 AM   #1023
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvelinus View Post
You might be able to sell it to a homebrewer for conversion to a keggle if you didn't have a use for it.
This, Laura, sell it for about 100 bucks and buy some fancy dog food. If I could find one cheap around here, I would be brewing in a keggle (a keg with a hole cut in the top).
Old 03-01-2012, 08:51 AM   #1024
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

Salvelinus will become famous soon enoughSalvelinus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes View Post
Don't know if any of yall are looking for kegs but I have been searching for a low price as I need a few more. Found 2 packs of them for $77.50 Pepsi style and 71.50 for converted coke style ones at corneykeg.com. Wasn't sure how beat up they were gonna be so I only ordered 2 at first but when they came in good shape i placed another order for 2 more. Now have 12 kegs total ;o)

I also noticed they have a drilled out top option that allows you to insert an airlock and ferment in the kegs. Do any of yall ferment in them?> It would be great to cut the liquid line out up an inch or so and when it was time to rack to a clean keg just pressurize the one and push the beer to another keg! No more friggin siphon. Only thing I am not sure of is how hard it would be to clean the trub out of there when it is all done.....

Mikes
If I was going to do this I'd probably only secondary in the kegs then just force carb and pour a couple beers that are a bit yeasty or like you said cut the liquid line a bit and transfer to a new keg for carbonation if you want clear beers.

Why not just get a stopper and an airlock and stick it in the gas side during fermentation? Then you've got a keg that can be used for fermentation and pouring beer. You can probably get an extra dip tube to cut short relatively cheap and just put that into kegs that you are going to ferment in.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:40 AM   #1025
Mikes
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvelinus View Post
Why not just get a stopper and an airlock and stick it in the gas side during fermentation? Then you've got a keg that can be used for fermentation and pouring beer. You can probably get an extra dip tube to cut short relatively cheap and just put that into kegs that you are going to ferment in.
Just saved me some $$$$ lol! Glad I posted here yall think more clearly about beer than I ;o)
Old 03-02-2012, 07:01 AM   #1026
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

I can't see primary in a corny. There is precious little room on top of a 5 gallon batch and it would make a hell of a mess.
Secondary in corny? Sure, I do it. I just put it in a stock corny and flood the top a few times with CO2, seal it up and let 'er go. No airlock. Of course, no one has shown me the error of my ways, yet.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #1027
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

Tried my Ruination clone side by side with the real thing tonight.
Mine is quite a bit darker. Ruination has a more pronounced aroma. Mine is slightly sweeter. Ruination has a longer finish. But other than that, the flavor really is pretty darn similar. My wife says she likes mine better
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruinationclone.jpg (55.4 KB, 398 views)
Old 03-03-2012, 12:50 PM   #1028
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

Those both look good to me!

Just finished 10 gallons of a simple ESB. 19lbs marris otter, a little carastan and tiny bit of chocolate for color. East kent goldings at 60 and 5. Brew day went well, looking forward to the final product.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:09 AM   #1029
icantbejon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jon
Trading: (10)
Cohiba Army (Active)
icantbejon will become famous soon enoughicantbejon will become famous soon enough

Brewing up a saison this weekend and really looking forward to it. Gotta bottle up my pale ale tonight as well. I'm living the real dream right now...got more hb than I know what to do with. I'm currently sitting on my old pale ale, coffee stout, abbey ale, cream ale, new pale ale and soon my saison. What's quite remarkable is I drink alot...I should have gone through more of this by now!
Old 03-06-2012, 07:10 AM   #1030
icantbejon
Have My Own Room

Cohiba Army (Active)
icantbejon will become famous soon enoughicantbejon will become famous soon enough

Oh yeah, anyone have input on which temperature control unit I should be looking at to convert my deep freeze into a temp controlled storage unit....and soon to be my kegerator?
Old 03-06-2012, 07:22 AM   #1031
Mikes
Post Whore

Johnson Controls A419GBF-1C - Electronic Temp Control

I did a keezer build awhile ago and this is what I used. (thread is still on the fist page of this section) Liked it so much I just bought another to convert the garage fridge into a temperature controlled fermenter ;o) They have an analog style one for a bit less. Be sure and post up pix of your build....btw just like with humidors I suggest going bigger (more taps) than you think you will need. Mine has 8 and I already want to add 2 more lmao.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:33 AM   #1032
icantbejon
Have My Own Room

Cohiba Army (Active)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes View Post
Johnson Controls A419GBF-1C - Electronic Temp Control

I did a keezer build awhile ago and this is what I used. (thread is still on the fist page of this section) Liked it so much I just bought another to convert the garage fridge into a temperature controlled fermenter ;o) They have an analog style one for a bit less. Be sure and post up pix of your build....btw just like with humidors I suggest going bigger (more taps) than you think you will need. Mine has 8 and I already want to add 2 more lmao.
I'm going to build with the intent of expansion. I have to move slowly or the wife gets suspicious!

Thanks for the recommendation, I'm looking into it now.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:54 AM   #1033
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Ferg, Mike's unit is the one I sent you. Got mine from Northern Brewer, but you might be able to find it for less on Amazon or something. I didn't feel like searching too hard. It's a piece of cake to set up. I haven't modified my chest freezer yet so the lead just runs between the lid seal & the chest. Works great.

I'll be brewing up a Two Hearted Lager recipe at the "Icantbejon Homebrewfest Herf & Cigar Pass" this weekend, where I will happily help rectify the problem he has of having too much hb on hand.

The recipe is a modified Bell's THA clone that I've decided to ferment with San Francisco lager yeast.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #1034
icantbejon
Have My Own Room

Cohiba Army (Active)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post
Ferg, Mike's unit is the one I sent you. Got mine from Northern Brewer, but you might be able to find it for less on Amazon or something. I didn't feel like searching too hard. It's a piece of cake to set up. I haven't modified my chest freezer yet so the lead just runs between the lid seal & the chest. Works great.

I'll be brewing up a Two Hearted Lager recipe at the "Icantbejon Homebrewfest Herf & Cigar Pass" this weekend, where I will happily help rectify the problem he has of having too much hb on hand.

The recipe is a modified Bell's THA clone that I've decided to ferment with San Francisco lager yeast.
Just bought it Gerard...I'll be looking for installation assistance on Sat....in exchange for some HB of course.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:17 PM   #1035
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

Sounds like an awesome time guys! I need to make a two hearted clone, love that beer.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #1036
rack04
Lebowski Urban Achiever

First Name: Justin
Trading: (20)
HUpmann
rack04 will become famous soon enoughrack04 will become famous soon enough

Brewed up a 10 gal batch of kolsch this past weekend. My first brew day with my new March 809 HS pump. I really liked not having to lug around 15 gal of water.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:40 AM   #1037
Mikey202
Tight Lines !!!!

First Name: Mike
Trading: (6)
SLR Army (Served With Honor)
Mikey202 will become famous soon enoughMikey202 will become famous soon enough

Bottled the Porter last night. Tried The Belgian Dubble Abbey Ale on Saturday, and it was great.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:45 AM   #1038
icantbejon
Have My Own Room

Cohiba Army (Active)

I completely forgot to bottle last night...so I've taken a family day today to get home and do just that.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #1039
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Think I'm going to break out the kit today for the first time to make a 5 gallon batch of Hank's Hefeweizen from Midwest.

Approximately how long would you guesstimate I should set aside to do this?
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:14 AM   #1040
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
Think I'm going to break out the kit today for the first time to make a 5 gallon batch of Hank's Hefeweizen from Midwest.

Approximately how long would you guesstimate I should set aside to do this?
3 - 3.5 hours